The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2017, 05:33 AM

Default Hybrid nylon strung guitars

Anyone playing any of these acoustic guitars? Not the flat/wide fretboard 'classical' guitar....but those guitars with narrower and radiussed fretboards. My old and arthritic fingers seem to be losing the 'battle' in playing my steel strung acoustic and maybe nylon is the way forward.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieabbott View Post
Anyone playing any of these acoustic guitars? Not the flat/wide fretboard 'classical' guitar....but those guitars with narrower and radiussed fretboards. My old and arthritic fingers seem to be losing the 'battle' in playing my steel strung acoustic and maybe nylon is the way forward.
crossover guitars

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-10-2017, 07:09 AM

I'm playing a Cordoba GK Pro... it had a 1.96" inch wide neck with a flat radius. The GK Pro has a very slim almost electric guitar neck profile, so I barely notice the flat fretboard.

As I get older, the wider spacing of the strings on the 1.96" wide neck makes playing finger style much easier.

The Cordoba C9 & C10 crossover's have similar shaped necks, but have a radiused fretboard.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-10-2017, 07:35 AM

I don't own one but I have played the crossover Epiphone at our local brick and mortar. If I were to buy a classical style guitar it's what I'd go with. I've played standard dread. sized neck gits for so long that I just can't handle classical width. Hth

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2017, 07:55 AM

I've got a Manuel Rodriguez "Flamenco Moderna" crossover.

Cedar top, laminate sides and back (walnut for the veneer--Looks quite spiffy...

Cutaway, pickup with tuner, tone controls, bass boost. Made in China..

Actually a rather nice instrument. I've tried to warm up to conventional classics but my fingers do not get along well with the wide, flat fretboard and the jazz chords I play.

This one is very nice... Easy to play. If I had a bigger budget I likely would have gone for one of the Godin nylon-string models, but that's about twice what I paid for this one.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:02 AM

I have a Martin 16 series nylon crossover, and it is one of my favorite guitars. It plays easy and has very good sound and it seems to punch thru in a jam just as well as my steel stringed ones. It really shines on stage when played thru an acoustic mic.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:11 AM

Old 02-10-2017, 09:14 AM

Love my Yamaha NTX1200R plugged in. Have seen good reviews of the cheaper NTX720 too.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

I have a Limited Edition Taylor nylon string guitar (2012 GAce-N-FLTD), and it is perfect for my needs. It has a 1 7/8" nut and is quite easy to manage.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-10-2017, 09:59 AM

I find narrow necked nylon strings very clunky to play. I much prefer the traditional wider nut.

My "crossover" is a Godin Grand Concert "Duet Ambiance" (it won the award for the longest most convoluted guitar name ever)

Wide nut, but somewhat slimmer neck (still "hand filling") thin chambered/hollow body, very slight radius on fretboard but not totally flat, great electronics. Wonderful guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-10-2017, 10:03 AM

Default Crossover/Hybrid

Cordoba makes several models in their "Fusion" series and you should be able to find "2nds" online and save 30% off street. They come with pickups as well. I had a very nice Orchestra Pro "2nd" that I couldn't find a thing wrong with but could never get past the sound of the treble strings on a nylon. It did however introduce me to amplified sound and I've never looked back.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. There's plenty of guitar suggestions for me to do some internet searches and check them all out.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Hi Frankie,

Also, check out Cervantes. They make a very good sounding crossover nylon string guitar called the Crossover 1.

- Glenn
Old 02-10-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieabbott View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. There's plenty of guitar suggestions for me to do some internet searches and check them all out.
Yes there are plenty of options. I found a great deal on an 812c-N
Got this one for 2K shipped and I'm very satisfied
https://reverb.com/item/1158122-taylor-812c-nylon-039

But for twice that price I could have had this one and been happy:
https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....crossover.html

Good luck in your search!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I find narrow necked nylon strings very clunky to play. I much prefer the traditional wider nut.

My "crossover" is a Godin Grand Concert "Duet Ambiance" (it won the award for the longest most convoluted guitar name ever)

Wide nut, but somewhat slimmer neck (still "hand filling") thin chambered/hollow body, very slight radius on fretboard but not totally flat, great electronics. Wonderful guitar.
Godin makes really nice nylon string guitars. I have two - a Multiac Encore 7 string and a Multiac ACS SA 6 string.

These instruments seem to have consistently high quality from what I have seen across several examples over time.

However, these instruments require amplification. some models have hollowed chambers inside the guitar body so you can hear it well enough for personal practice unamplified. If you want an acoustic instrument, then some of the other recommendations in this thread may be a better fit. For performing/live playing amplified, the Godin is perfect because you should have little to no problems with feedback.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion