The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-10-2019, 10:04 AM

Default Yamaha CX40 classical guitar buzzing on 5th string second fret (B) note

Hi, I have had this guitar a few weeks and until now have been very happy with it BUT it has suddenly started buzzing when I finger the 2nd fret on the 5th string (B note in standard tuning). It looks like the string is too close to the next fret (3rd fret) and causing it to buzz. Would a better set of strings fix this or is it a badly made guitar that will need expensive repair or even getting a more expensive guitar? My finger is pushing down quite hard and close to the fret, im pretty certain it is not me.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:32 AM

Update, I have just noticed the 5th string above the second fret has badly worn, there is a noticeable groove, in fact the metal winding has almost worn down to the nylon inside. I would have expected the strings to last longer than a few weeks of moderate play. So I guess these are crap strings that will need replacing, should I just replace the metal wound ones as the 3 nylon strings look ok or should I replace the whole set, and what make of strings are recommended? I like to play all styles of music (with pick or fingers) and I like a bright sound. This guitar is a bit of a jack of all trades for me.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:05 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

You can just replace the basses or even one string at a time, the nylon strings always last me longer than the wound, but for some reason I still change them all at once. Not cost effective, probably. You can buy strings one at a time from various places. The fret may be a bit sharp or frazzled if it's causing the string to wear too quickly. Could be worth dressing the frets? But a few weeks of heavy play can best the strings up pretty badly, if you get extra bluesy on the vibrato...
Old 03-11-2019, 01:37 AM

@dosland Thanks, I plead guilty to playing heavy blues on this guitar. What make / model of strings would be recommended? As I say I like to play all kinds of music so they must be good alrounders preferably quite bright sounding?
Old 03-11-2019, 01:53 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I'm not very clever with the strings, so others will be better on that question than I am - I'm pretty happy with the D'Addario EXP series in hard or extra hard tension for casual play: cheap and long-lasting strings that put up with a fair bit of abuse. With the humidity where I live, the coating also keeps the basses from going dull as quickly as most other strings I've tried. You might want to try a forum search so you can read up on the wide range of opinions on strings around here - lots of helpful people around with loads of experience.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:28 AM

@dosland Thanks, I have just had a quick look about strings for this guitar and it looks like medium/normal tension might be best for this guitar as it has no truss rod and is quite lightweight. I will have a look at D'Addario strings as you suggest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical