The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-02-2019, 02:41 PM

Default Inlay Methods - Laser or Hand Cut?

Hey I just thought I'd start this thread to see what builders thought about laser cut pearl/abalone inlays. I've been dabbling with a laser engraver over the years and have had great results using ablam and pearl veneer sheets vector cut with a CO2 laser engraver. Attached is a picture with both hand cut, and laser engraved, can you guess which one is which?:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Laser+Hand+Cut+Inlays.jpg (53.7 KB, 246 views)
Old 03-02-2019, 05:33 PM

The one I like best is the center fingerboard - seems more intricate and interesting.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:39 AM

The signature is laser?
Old 03-07-2019, 10:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

There’s no question about whether or not computer controled cutters can do both cleaner and more delicate work than most hand cutters of pearl. But character and a esoteric considerations are another thing. I do all my own cutting and inlaying by hand and consider this to be a signature aspect of my work. Actually, this same thinking permeates my work from one end to the other.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
There’s no question about whether or not computer controled cutters can do both cleaner and more delicate work than most hand cutters of pearl. But character and a esoteric considerations are another thing. I do all my own cutting and inlaying by hand and consider this to be a signature aspect of my work. Actually, this same thinking permeates my work from one end to the other.
I don't build anywhere near the level of Mr. Sexauer, but our philosophies are the same.
et al
Old 03-07-2019, 02:28 PM

I agree: I make things because I enjoy making things. Why let a laser have all the fun? And there does seem to be a certain 'character' to hand cut inlays that is usually lacking on laser cut ones.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
I don't build anywhere near the level of Mr. Sexauer, but our philosophies are the same.
I have not seen your work, Roger, and imagine you are being a bit modest. Whether your self-analysis is wellplaced or not, that was a very nice thing to write. You have developed a reasonable and well considered presence here in the forum, and I look forward to meeting you one day.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the discussion guys, @Bruce, its nice to chat with ya again since exhibiting next to you at Santa Barbara a couple years back, good times.

The flower and vine inlay on the left are hand cut 1.5mm pearl, the pockets for both were laser "rastered" so its a very tight fit. the middle FB and the signature were both ablam/pearl lam veneers that were laser cut.

I am always looking for effective ways of making jobs easier when we build and this seems to be one of them. That said, I totally respect you guys for maintaining your level of excellence doing the jobs by hand. The benefit to thick pearl is obviously it can be sanded more without losing opacity (to a point), where the veneer can hardly be sanded. It needs to be inlayed flush with the surface or as close as possible. And even then, there are parts of it that are not shiny like the thick pearl. Its hard to notice without looking closely but it still won't truly "bling" like a hand cut inlay.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:39 PM

My preference? Beautifully executed, hand done inlays.

Yeah, this is a pretty ridiculous preference. If you want near perfection, use a computer controlled machine. But, I like the hand-made aesthetic.

I've no standing to have any opinion. I've built but one guitar and hand cut and hand inlaid but one logo on a headstock, my "T" for Thomas:

This said, I've no tolerance for hand inlays that don't adhere to tight, uh, tolerances. Tons of fill around an inlay disappoints me.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:02 AM
Charter Member

In answer to the question that Dave posed – I cannot tell the difference. Great that we have both to choose from, as it offers more variety and opportunity.

While the OP is focused on pearl, there is also inlay in dyed wood, such as the beautiful work by Jimmi Wingert. For those inlay junkies like me, here is a great little video of Jimmi at work (by hand!) - https://www.instagram.com/p/BE7IvMgLy96/

Col
Old 03-08-2019, 12:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have done it both ways and for peg head inlay on lighter woods the accuracy of the route with a CNC requires no fill. No insult meant but the T posted above has too much noticeable fill to leave my shop and I have redone inlay that had that much fill. My early work was quite similar but I managed to improve my routing especially after getting a high speed pencil grinder (60,000 rpm ) and a base that I made similar to what John Halls sells at Blues creek. With the mini cnc the gap can be kept to about .001 or .002" and will be even all around.

http://www.fetellierguitars.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
inlay, laser engraver