The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-06-2019, 08:32 PM

Default NPD -Boss RV-6

I don’t think I am really going to be breaking any new ground here, as it is a fairly popular pedal. But my rig needed something to sound bigger, and boy does it! I find it to be very usable throughout its various modes. Boss seems to be my go-to for the utilitarian stuff (Tuner, Delay and now Reverb).

I decided I needed reverb beyond what my amp provides after listening to a band that utilizes a Strymon Big Sky pedal, which is simply phenomenal. I began sorting through (way) cheaper alternatives and ended up on the RV-6. I am finding reverb to be a bit addictive. One of those things you like when it’s on but REALLY notice it missing when it’s off.

Going to have to plug the J-45 into it. I suspect it will sound fantastic.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 06-07-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

I recently added one to my live rig. It is VERY useable. Loads of tonal options. I actually bought it for the “Shimmer” setting. Which is the only thing I use if for during ambient segments. I use a couple of others for my “verb” settings. Depending on the song. Not that the RV6 couldn’t do it all. I simply refuse to bend down and adjust things live. Which of course affords me the “necessity” of “needing” more pedals lol!

Congrats. You’ve chosen well!

Last edited by PTony; 06-08-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:35 PM

Boy I could go Strat>EP Booster>RV-6>DD-7 into Fender amp all night!

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 06-08-2019, 05:23 AM

Congrats on the reverb pedal! You're right about pedals you only notice when they're off - they're the ones that subtly improve your tone.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I have an RV6. The verb on one of my amps is pretty good but on the other it's worse than useless, so I just leave them both off and use the RV6. I almost never touch it though - that and my little Donner looper are always on, but fairly subtle, and I play with the boost and dirt pedal as I go. I like the RV6 a lot.

I tried a TC Hall of Fame mini figuring with all of it's programability, I'd find something I liked, but I never did. I can't explain what I didn't like about it, but I just couldn't fine one that worked for me. I tried the Boss, flicked the switches for about five minutes, had a sound I loved, and have barely touched it since.

-Ray
Old 06-08-2019, 12:28 PM

Never owned the RV6, but have heard good things. I went from an MXR M300 to a Strymon Flint and never looked back. I am more a fan of vintage verb over the more modern sounds.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Yeah, I have an RV6. The verb on one of my amps is pretty good but on the other it's worse than useless, so I just leave them both off and use the RV6. I almost never touch it though - that and my little Donner looper are always on, but fairly subtle, and I play with the boost and dirt pedal as I go. I like the RV6 a lot.

I tried a TC Hall of Fame mini figuring with all of it's programability, I'd find something I liked, but I never did. I can't explain what I didn't like about it, but I just couldn't fine one that worked for me. I tried the Boss, flicked the switches for about five minutes, had a sound I loved, and have barely touched it since.

-Ray
I agree regarding the HOF. I too had one. And I couldn’t find a setting that I liked either.

I use a Holy Grail as an always on for my live board, and the RV6 for ambient tones with “shimmer”. I have a EarthQuaker Devices Dispatch Master (delay & verb) that I use at home and on my smaller acoustic “fly” rig.

It’s a great combo pedal. It sounds fantastic through my Tweed lacquered Blues Jr.

The RV6 “shimmer” setting alone is worth the admission price. IMHO anyway.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:15 PM

Especially once I plugged the J-45 in, my first thought was “anyone who plays in a worship band would find a use for shimmer!

I am really enjoying it. My basement was a bit of a dead zone before. This definitely added some life. I need to clean up string squeaks more than ever now though. They aren’t nearly as subtle when the squeak is reverberated!

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 06-11-2019, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
Especially once I plugged the J-45 in, my first thought was “anyone who plays in a worship band would find a use for shimmer!

I am really enjoying it. My basement was a bit of a dead zone before. This definitely added some life. I need to clean up string squeaks more than ever now though. They aren’t nearly as subtle when the squeak is reverberated!

Yep! That’s exactly what I use it for. Haven’t used my J45 with it yet. But you should hear either of my Gretsch guitars through it. Unreal. It’s def a great pedal to have on any board. Whether it be used with an electric or an acoustic. Killer pedal.

I saw an RV5 for $60 used. I should’ve bought it. I love pedals. Especially what I would consider “staple” pedals that offer a variety of USEABLE tones.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Yep! That’s exactly what I use it for. Haven’t used my J45 with it yet. But you should hear either of my Gretsch guitars through it. Unreal. It’s def a great pedal to have on any board. Whether it be used with an electric or an acoustic. Killer pedal.

I saw an RV5 for $60 used. I should’ve bought it. I love pedals. Especially what I would consider “staple” pedals that offer a variety of USEABLE tones.
Agree 100%. I have carefully chosen pedals I have largely based on a few things, beside of course sound: Controls that give a wide range of usable sounds, and something that sounds basic but isn’t as common as many would think... controls that actually work. I get annoyed when you turn a knob halfway around with no change, then the next tiny nudge brings dramatic change! I love my pedalboard currently but do not want to add up the cost of its residents...

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 06-11-2019, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

I’m with you. As I’ve been intentional in honing my sound I’ve discovered that for me...it’s either an always on, or has a specific use that warrants its spot on my board. I actually have 2 boards. One at home, and a larger one on stage. Both share the same “staples” and in a few cases while they’re the same effect, they may be made by different folks.

I’m more of a simple and streamlined user. I don’t need a million different presets, banks, etc.

I simply want the effects to do what they’re supposed to...well...and consistently. This has meant being honest with myself as to what I really NEEDED...rather than what I wanted. And honestly, it’s been very helpful and has helped me develop the sound that I’ve “heard in my head” for so long.

It’s been a fun process. And I’ll always try new/different pedals, makers, etc. but the staples that I require...probably won’t see much of a change.

As to the cost of both boards...yeah. Let’s not do the math lol
Old 06-11-2019, 08:53 PM

Angry

i don’t play live so mine are really all in the “want” zone. Even still, it’s easy to fall victim to overdoing it. There are a billion overdrives alone out there. Then, the more guitar variation, the more this pedal is for this guitar, etc. My dirt section would be much smaller if I could play louder. I’m in a condo so a lot of it is arriving at a desired tone with the amp at 1-2. So the 4-5 that fall into the dirt category give a ton of versatility, and each is good in both low and high gain situations.

Pedals Anonymous isn’t a bad idea.. imagine how much new gear you could hear about! And people selling stuff off...

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 06-11-2019, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

I get it. Completely! Sold my 65 TRRI due to NEVER being able to play it above 1 or 1 1/2 if feeling really bold lol. And I live in a house. My wife would text me to turn it down because I couldn’t hear her hollering lol. And she really never cares about my playing volumes.

I’ve been through tons of dirt pedals also. Some work better with Fender (midrange humped, etc.), others better with Marshall, blah blah blah.

I really liked the Morning Glory (v4), but live I have really been digging my Archer Ikon. At home I use the typical TS-9 with my Blues Jr.

Soooooo many great pedals out there. You’re right...maybe we should start PA. And invite all who become members to donate their unused pedals to us. We can try what we want, send what we don’t on to others to try, and relieve those oppressed and crushed under the weight of their unused gear. As Charlie Sheen would say...”Winning”
Old 06-11-2019, 10:46 PM

I have a JHS Angry Charlie and a Wampler Sovereign, plus an EarthQuaker Hoof fuzz. The Xotic EP Booster is usually on. It makes everything sound better.

I am a big fan of the Archer and I can see how live (higher volume) it would be fantastic.

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 06-11-2019, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
I have a JHS Angry Charlie and a Wampler Sovereign, plus an EarthQuaker Hoof fuzz. The Xotic EP Booster is usually on. It makes everything sound better.

I am a big fan of the Archer and I can see how live (higher volume) it would be fantastic.

I’ve eyed the Angry Charlie and an EP Booster. They’re both on my short list. I’ve been using a spark mini as an always on. Love that it doesn’t color my tone. And the momentary boost option. But, still “need” another boost so the EP will be my next addition.

Love Earthquaker stuff! My Dispatch Master is used at home, and I also will use on my acoustic “fly rig” when playing out. EQ makes great pedals.

I’ve tried the OCD (V1) and was unimpressed. I’m sure the later versions are better. Have also heard some great things about the em drive. Believe it or not I had a Mooer Green Mile that sounded fantastic. I honestly preferred it over quite a few TS style pedals. Sometimes it’s the ones no one would expect that grab ya.

I also want to try the “Neunaber Wet”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars