The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpicker View Post
Why couldn't you record with it there? AFAIK it looks just like a PC to the software, same drivers and everything. I have toyed with that option.
It's having a little trouble keeping up with high sample rates just on playback. Lower rates would probably be ok. It also seems to be using Audition Window drivers as some sort of bridge thru Parallels to my RME card, which doesn't give me as good a feeling as if it was finding the RME card directly . But as much as I like Audition, I'm in part just trying to learn a more standard platform. Audition seems to be such a well-kept secret that I fear it won't be around forever.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:52 PM

It probably won't be able to see any firewire devices while running under parallels. I wonder if it'd work with USB tho... hrrrm!
Wenge B/S Lutz/Cedar Double Top
Old 12-04-2009, 06:58 PM

Hmmm....no perfect solution here! I have a funny feeling that it will be AA for wav editing and LE for recording, which I guess is not the end of the world. With better mix and multitrack tools I personally would do less WAV editing anyhow...mostly it's a crutch, apart from applying noise reduction. I should leave that part to the mastering engineer anyway.

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 12-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAllyn View Post
It probably won't be able to see any firewire devices while running under parallels. I wonder if it'd work with USB tho... hrrrm!

I have a USB DVD drive, and Parallels does see it. However, it doesn't seem to see my RME card. I thought it might be that the drivers weren't installed, but it doesn't even seem to recognize that the device is there, which isn't too surprising.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Check out a demo version of Ableton Live sometime. I love it as a DAW although I use VSTs from other companies for post recording DSP. As far as noise reduction by far the best solution is not to have extraneous noise to begin with. Work on that.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-04-2009, 10:35 PM

Option #762

Digidesign has a USB dongle that comes with a full version of ProTools 8 LE.
You can't record in, but you can import all your files and then do anything "Tooly" with them.
It's a cheap way of getting Ptools.

Steve
Old 12-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

That's certainly an option, tho from the last time I looked at Protools, it was pretty similar to Logic, and the real power of ProTools comes when you have the full PT with the digidesign hardware and plugins, which all seem to cost many times what a non-PT equivalent does. It'd certainly be interesting if PT had some of the editing and visualization tools that Audition has. Anyone tried them both?
Old 12-05-2009, 02:03 AM

I haven't seen the latest version of Logic but I've heard that it is indeed similar to PT now.
The LE version of PT comes with all the stock plug-ins that ship with the HD systems including Melodyne and Elastic Audio. You don't get the added DSP of the HD systems...

I haven't seen Audition, I must try and check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
That's certainly an option, tho from the last time I looked at Protools, it was pretty similar to Logic, and the real power of ProTools comes when you have the full PT with the digidesign hardware and plugins, which all seem to cost many times what a non-PT equivalent does. It'd certainly be interesting if PT had some of the editing and visualization tools that Audition has. Anyone tried them both?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpicker View Post
I saw the "denoiser" (is this a French verb meaning to remove nuts?)
Yes - it's the subjunctive of "denoyer"
Old 12-07-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Anybody know the answer to the Firewire part of this question?
I did just order my iMac and one option I'm seriously considering is running Audition under VMWare Fusion or Parallels, but it needs to place nice with my Firewire audio interface. I talked to Apple about it and they claim it should be fine, but you never know how knowledgeable the person on the phone really is.

Short of that, my plan is to use Logic Express for recording and basic mixing, then do any post-production audio cleanup on the PC with Audition, which has just such excellent tools (e.g. spectral editing, the healing tool). The Mac and the PC will be on the same network so I can use Audition to work on the file in-place on the Mac. Did a quick experiment today using my Macbook Pro and it worked quite smoothly.

But obviously running Audition under Parallels or Fusion seems more straightforward........anyone done it?

Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 PM

I can't even get Audition installed under Parallels (with Windows XP). I've tried running the installer from the disk and I get thru a couple of dialogs before it just disappears. The same thing happens if I copy all of the files to the hard drive and run the installer from there. 'tis most irritating.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I can't even get Audition installed under Parallels (with Windows XP). I've tried running the installer from the disk and I get thru a couple of dialogs before it just disappears. The same thing happens if I copy all of the files to the hard drive and run the installer from there. 'tis most irritating.
Wow, that sucks. I wonder if VMWare Fusion would be any better...but unfortunately it costs $80 to find out. ):

Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple

- John Cage

Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I had this issue. I tried twice and the install dialogs just disappeared. Finally, I downloaded audition from adobe, using a web browser running under parallels, and it worked. Was that the key or just luck? I don't know. Audition is playing back thru my RME interface, but it thinks it's using Windows Audition Sound, which presumably is talking to Windows, which is talking to Parallels, which is talking to my Mac audio, which is going to the RME...
Old 12-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Audition is playing back thru my RME interface, but it thinks it's using Windows Audition Sound, which presumably is talking to Windows, which is talking to Parallels, which is talking to my Mac audio, which is going to the RME...
'Nuff said. I'm moving to a Mac in part to avoid such high-wire acts!

Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple

- John Cage

Old 12-08-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I had this issue. I tried twice and the install dialogs just disappeared. Finally, I downloaded audition from adobe, using a web browser running under parallels, and it worked.
I was actually contemplating doing that last night. Was it the trial/demo that you downloaded, Doug? If we plug our activation key into that, does it turn into the full version?

Quote:
Audition is playing back thru my RME interface, but it thinks it's using Windows Audition Sound, which presumably is talking to Windows, which is talking to Parallels, which is talking to my Mac audio, which is going to the RME...
I think something exploded in the back of my head after reading that...

I'll have a chance to play with Digital Performer tomorrow evening. It looks pretty impressive from what I've seen in videos. Unfortunately, it costs twice what I paid for Logic Express, so I don't see myself switching to it anytime soon, but it'll be interesting to compare the two and see if it handles waveform editing as well as Audition.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD