The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-23-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Well, the Indians are in a "small market" and they have done pretty well over the last few years. This year, the Twins are killing it and they aren't a "big market" team either. Money doesn't equate to winning in baseball. Until the Yankees went back to developing their own talent, all the spending they did got them diddly-squat. It sounds like you have just lost your zeal for pro sports. It's entertainment...nothing more. If you invest more than that in it, you're in for a letdown.
Naw, I'm just sick of greedy owners and players that quit on the team because their agents pollute their minds. I actually feel like the Steelers might make a run of it now that the drama train has left the station. I also think that the Penguins are still relevant despite their fizzle in the first round of the playoffs.

We're talking MLB though. The Pirates have a good farm system but they like to get out of the big contracts whenever they can. Right now they're exciting to watch but come July there'll be another yard sale and people will be saying "here we go again, the Pirates are throwing in the towel and hoping another prospect pans out in spring training. For instance, Josh Bell is in his second season now. He's hitting one out of the park every game it seems, but I know in a year or two he'll be in San Francisco, Houston, LA or NY.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Default STL

This has been a long month for Cardinal Nation. We started the month of May as the best team in the NL. Right now, we're one game below .500 and one game out of last place in the NL Central. Been a long time since I've seen this kind of collapse in St. Louis.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
This has been a long month for Cardinal Nation. We started the month of May as the best team in the NL. Right now, we're one game below .500 and one game out of last place in the NL Central. Been a long time since I've seen this kind of collapse in St. Louis.
It could be worse, Kerbie. You could be a Giants fan. It's been a painful season so far. As a one radio announcer put it: "Just when we thought they hit rock bottom, they break out the jack hammers."

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-29-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
As long as the Pirates keep losing players to injuries there’s still hope for your Cards. After being swept by the Dodgers the Cinci Reds are treating them like red headed step children this series.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:34 PM

Well Seattle has checked the calendar and noticed it should be resting comfortably in the bottom tier,. It was fun for a while.

Meanwhile the Dodgers seem very interested in returning to the world series....again.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 06-01-2019, 12:09 PM

Red Sox need a closure. Can't believe they blew that game against Cleveland by giving up 5 runs in the 9th.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

We're enjoying baseball in Minnie again after umpteen years of blech!

Home run anyone?
Old 06-01-2019, 12:50 PM

As both a small market fan and firstly a Twins fan, looks like we are for real this year. Pitching and a killer offense, ahead of the 1927 Yankees so far in offense. They are also only the second team to hit 100 homers in their first 50 games. So far so good.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 06-02-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
We're enjoying baseball in Minnie again after umpteen years of blech!

Home run anyone?
Wow - what a great HR team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
As both a small market fan and firstly a Twins fan, looks like we are for real this year. Pitching and a killer offense, ahead of the 1927 Yankees so far in offense and set a record. They are also only the second team to hit 100 homers in their first 50 games. So far so good.
I thought your were a Red Sox fan from your username, lol.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Wow - what a great HR team.

I thought your were a Red Sox fan from your username, lol.
Yep, nope, that is a play off my last name. Have no love for the Redsox or Whitesox for that matter.

Twins just took 2/3 from the Rays on the road. They are the only team with a run differential of over 100, it is 107 right now and has been as high as 111. That is pretty amazing, that stat really shows both your pitching and defense as well as your offensive output. I think the Astros are next at 97.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Yep, nope, that is a play off my last name. Have no love for the Redsox or Whitesox for that matter.

Twins just took 2/3 from the Rays on the road. They are the only team with a run differential of over 100, it is 107 right now and has been as high as 111. That is pretty amazing, that stat really shows both your pitching and defense as well as your offensive output. I think the Astros are next at 97.
What's the turn around with the Twins this year. I know they're hitting a record number of HRs but did they make major additions to their team?

Nothing worse for a Red Sox fan getting beat by a Yankees team that is ahead of them in the standings.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:11 AM

It's hard being a Giants fan this year but i try to remember I went around 60 years with nothing but then 3 championships in 5 years. It's easy to get spoiled.

I use the Yahoo Sports app because it's easy to see the starting time for your teams game each day and scrolling down I noticed there are "comments". I know the internet is the wild wild west but there are some sad people out there for sure. Some trolls have thousands and thousands of posts slamming opposing teams. Some do it all day long. Must be a sad life for some.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
What's the turn around with the Twins this year. I know they're hitting a record number of HRs but did they make major additions to their team?

Nothing worse for a Red Sox fan getting beat by a Yankees team that is ahead of them in the standings.
They made some off season free agent acquisitions that went unnoticed and those guys are paying dividends including a pitcher with a lifetime ERA of mid 4's who added a cutter in the off season and is doing much better than expected (Perez). Hired a new manager (youngest in baseball) and everything just seems to be coming together. They are also leading the league in batting. Polanco is leading the league in average.

Home runs make it so much easier to win and the power game has been lacking for many years, really since the 91 world series team. The first five batters in today's lineup have a combined 50 homers this year, 4 of them have 48! Maybe more importantly the 6th through ninth spots have 27! That kind of home run production completely changes a close game into a blow out with one swing. For years the Twins have been a low run team trying to win with pitching and defense alone. They have 2 games this year where they have hit 8 home runs in a single game, the last time they did that even once in a year was 55 years ago!
Old 06-04-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
They made some off season free agent acquisitions that went unnoticed and those guys are paying dividends including a pitcher with a lifetime ERA of mid 4's who added a cutter in the off season and is doing much better than expected (Perez). Hired a new manager (youngest in baseball) and everything just seems to be coming together. They are also leading the league in batting. Polanco is leading the league in average.

Home runs make it so much easier to win and the power game has been lacking for many years, really since the 91 world series team. The first five batters in today's lineup have a combined 50 homers this year, 4 of them have 48! Maybe more importantly the 6th through ninth spots have 27! That kind of home run production completely changes a close game into a blow out with one swing. For years the Twins have been a low run team trying to win with pitching and defense alone. They have 2 games this year where they have hit 8 home runs in a single game, the last time they did that even once in a year was 55 years ago!
The '91 Twins and Kirby Puckett ... how could you not like him. Great player, attitude, work ethic and he seemed like a very likable person.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
The '91 Twins and Kirby Puckett ... how could you not like him. Great player, attitude, work ethic and he seemed like a very likable person.
He was great, I personally know Tom Kelly the manager and he is just a regular Joe...That team with Hrbek, Brunansky, Gaetti, Puckett, Gagne, Knoblauch, Gladden, Mack, etc. were just great to watch. All blue collar guys with talent for sure, but played better than the talent should have allowed (Puckett excluded in that statement, he was an amazing player). Jack Morris was on that team too!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic