The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-23-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Just another one of those moments...

I was sitting last night wishing I had better speakers for my computer. I don't know if it's really the speakers alone or some combination of problems with my sound card, but things sound off from time to time. There's some unexplained "warbling" in things from time to time.

I'm staring at my Focusrite, wishing upon that star, when I finally see it.

The headphone jack.

Output in all DAWs are now set to the Focusrite, speakers and soundcard issues are sidestepped. I have a set of AKG headphones with the adapter, I'm going to see if the adapter works with my Beats otherwise I'll get one (I may have one for them somewhere)

Barry

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Guild D-120

Cordoba C12, C5, and Fusion 12

Celtic on YouTube (Subscribers wanted!)

Nylon on YouTube

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral}:

Old 05-23-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

You should be able to connect your monitors to the Focusrite and treat the Focusrite interface as your "soundcard".
Old 05-26-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I was sitting last night wishing I had better speakers for my computer. I don't know if it's really the speakers alone or some combination of problems with my sound card, but things sound off from time to time. There's some unexplained "warbling" in things from time to time.

I'm staring at my Focusrite, wishing upon that star, when I finally see it.

The headphone jack.

Output in all DAWs are now set to the Focusrite, speakers and soundcard issues are sidestepped. I have a set of AKG headphones with the adapter, I'm going to see if the adapter works with my Beats otherwise I'll get one (I may have one for them somewhere)

You'd hope so, but that sometimes doesn't solve intermittent problems. Most of the setup guides for using a PC with a alternate sound card or external USB interface tell you to go into your PC bios setup and disable the internal sound card. That's the bios setup you access usually by pressing a function key during startup of your computer. I've always done it for any PC that I've used an interface card with.

As a side note, all the hoops you have to jump through for using a PC is why I love using an external recorder for audio capture. It's easy enough to use the PC for editing, though.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:44 AM

I mix a lot with headphones. I have a set of AKG Q701's and they get me most of the way to where I want to be. The focusrite can also output to a set of dedicated monitors. Check out the Yamaha HS5's or HS7's. I don't own a set but I have listened to them many times and thought they sounded fine. Another interesting option (that I use in my mix room) is to use a quality amp and a set of nice bookshelf speakers.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I was sitting last night wishing I had better speakers for my computer...
Remember that "ah hah" moment you had when you finally embraced the advice you were getting here and put your reverb on an aux track? Another one of those moments is waiting for you when you buy a decent set of studio monitors and hook them up to your interface.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-26-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Remember that "ah hah" moment you had when you finally embraced the advice you were getting here and put your reverb on an aux track? Another one of those moments is waiting for you when you buy a decent set of studio monitors and hook them up to your interface.
Yes, I remember that well,

I've kept that in the back of my mind.

Barry

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Guild D-120

Cordoba C12, C5, and Fusion 12

Celtic on YouTube (Subscribers wanted!)

Nylon on YouTube

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral}:

Old 05-26-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Things that make you go Hmmm.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD