The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2019, 06:04 PM

Default can't decide on which guitar to sell trying to avoid sellers remorse

due to financial reasons i need to sell one of my two guitars.
a) woolson soundcraft jazz hollowbody (1 of 6 made ) i love the touches of this guitar, the build quality, the body is a bit big for me and the neck is too much of a short thick neck for me. it sounds good though.

b) my santa cruz 1929 000. i understand these don't hit the market much. its such a joy to play- but its so simplistic looking due to it trying to emphasis the 1929 look. its super light, the neck and body are perfect, it gets really loud and bassy, and quiet when i need it too- like a martin d35 or 28.

however, i'm not sure how good the 1929 would be in a live situation or with a band. both guitars i paid about the same amount of cash for. i know i can't go wrong with either. part of me really wants to keep the woolson, but my pref. for the neck has really changed after playing the SC more.

Which would you sell?
Old 04-29-2019, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Your two guitars are rather different.

I cannot make a suggestion as to which one to part with, as that decision is personal and quite subjective. That being said, SCGC 1929 all-mahogany guitars are indeed special instruments, almost magical. A 1929 000 will amplify just fine, provided you use a decent signal chain that enhances and supports the styles of music your play. Ergonomics also point to the 1929. Don't underestimate instrument ergonomics.

On the other hand, your arch top is also a fine guitar and if you play a fair amount of acoustic jazz, both chord comping and leads, that may be the better choice to keep.

Is there any way you can keep both and find a different financial solution?
Old 04-29-2019, 06:19 PM

IF you absolutely HAVE to sell, probably best to sell the jazz box. Down the road you can replace it with a guitar that has better ergos for you. It sounds like the SC already suits you well.

Better yet, would it be possible to sell the jazz box and get an Eastman to replace it (act as a place holder) until you can get things going again? I know guys who have them and they swear by them. Just a thought.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:25 PM

I'd be keeping the 1929 000, but I don't gig.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Obviously a very subjective question, but if it were me I'd keep the 1929. Such great sounding guitars and IMO a bit more versatile than the Woolson.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:26 PM

i am likely leaning on keeping the santa cruz. its body and neck, and sound just are so amazing to me. i don't gig much at all. it's just the hollowbody has a bit more sentimental value to me- both were purchased as part of an inheritance, and play both to remember whom it came from. i'm kind of leaning on putting a pickup in the SC and just keeping that. The hollowbody is a cool guitar, but like a poster above mentioned- the ergonomics and comfort of the SC fits me a bit better....at least its the one i usually pick up first
Old 04-29-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Your two guitars are rather different.

Is there any way you can keep both and find a different financial solution?
i ran into a situation where i'm needing to pay my parents back. they don't understand the sentimental value. i bought both guitars back around 2010 and of course wasn't planning on selling either
Old 04-29-2019, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingcolors View Post
i ran into a situation where i'm needing to pay my parents back. they don't understand the sentimental value. i bought both guitars back around 2010 and of course wasn't planning on selling either
Your parents won’t give you more time to pay? Or have you used up all of your extensions already ??

I also vote to keep the Santa Cruz.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-29-2019, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingcolors View Post
Again, this is quite personal. Perhaps you could just start making monthly payments to your parents to pay down the debt, and tighten your financial belt otherwise to compensate.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:52 PM

You have playability/feel issues with the Jazz but not the SCGC, so I would sell that one.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:19 PM

I like sdelsolray's idea the most, but if you must sell I'd keep the SC. That guitar will only sound better with time and you can play blues unplugged on it until you get back on your feet. Sure, you will miss the Woolson, but write a song on the blues box about her. Then find an even hotter girlfriend.

Last edited by steelvibe; 04-29-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:07 AM

I'm sorry you have to go through this. Curious to see how it works out. I would like to sell one or two of mine but just can't bring myself to part with them, it's too hard.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:08 AM

My simplistic logic would say - If I have two things I really enjoy, I'd sell the one I can replace in the future.

If I decide it wasn't the right decision, I can always reverse it.

Once I sell something I can't replace, it's forever.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:17 AM

I am not going to be any help here as some of the worst mistakes I have ever made were selling/trading off guitars. But there was a time not all that long ago when that was the only way I could snag something else. The grass is greener kind of thing. Point is you will not know whether you made the right call until it is too late.

The last coupe of years though I can pretty much buy anything I want. Not that I still do not trade off or sell guitars but I no longer have to. It really makes a difference when you are no longer forced to base decisions on necessity.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:00 AM

It sounds like you've really already decided to keep the SC, which is what I would do in your situation (assuming a small loan is out of the question).
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion