The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Amy Winehouse, and there's no close second. I'd give anything to make a duo album of funky bluesy jazz tune for just voice and acoustic guitar.
No kidding. That's an interesting choice. Think I can hear it.

There's got to be someone living who might fit the bill. I promise to buy the CD.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Two answers - one acoustic and one electric.
On the acoustic side, it came down to Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir, Jim Croce, Cat Stevens and Crosby Stills & Nash. I think I have to go with Croce among those finalists for everything he did and everything he would have done if hadn’t gone so early.
As for electric, Jimi Hendrix, Mark Knopfler, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jerry Garcia, David Gilmour and Neil Young. This one was really tough but I have to go with Neil. There’s jamming a la Jerry and the boys, there’s otherworldly tipping like Jimi and Stevie Ray, and then there’s Neil’s brand of almost mindless abandon while holding onto the tune throughout. Just one jam with Neil, The Godfather of Grunge.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Amy Winehouse, and there's no close second. I'd give anything to make a duo album of funky bluesy jazz tune for just voice and acoustic guitar. To me she was a true monster talent, right up there with and musical legend. And like so many, taken way too soon.
That’s a good choice.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
Frank Zappa - any songs off of the Apostrophe album (Cosmic Debris) but any jam would do (instrumental)

MGF
Indeed, Frank Zappa, but give me Watermelon in Easter Hay.

Last edited by Twin Six; 09-26-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Jams

Would love to play with The Allman's.
Dual drummers and great frontman...... gets me everytime.

Acoustically would love Grisman Garcia band.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
No kidding. That's an interesting choice. Think I can hear it.

There's got to be someone living who might fit the bill. I promise to buy the CD.
Many people are unaware that Amy was no slouch on guitar (not saying you didn't know). My guess is that she ditched it when the drugs took control and she couldn't hang with the stellar musicians who always shared the stage with her. She looks so healthy and vital in this video. Such a shame that we lost her.

Last edited by ascotia; 09-26-2020 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:54 AM

Doug Cameron. I believe his violin playing could make my acoustic ideas sound pretty tasty.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:12 AM

My chosen vocalist/writer would be Sandy Denny whose music and voice always touch me deeply. Her style leaves spavce for creative accompaniment and soloing which corresponds to how I play.
For a group, I would love to have played with the Liege and Lief Fairport Convention line up opposite Dave Swarbrick's excellent fiddle work, underpinned with Ashley Hutchings solid and bouncing bass and Dave Mattack's exceptionally sensitive drumming. The Full House line up with Dave Pegg replacing Ashley Hutchings is another dream rythm section on songs like Sloth - or for folk-rock pure energy, Dirty Linnen
In another arena I'd love to play with Pat Metheny setting up a one-off structure and exchanging lines on "Are you going with me?"
Old 09-26-2020, 02:51 AM
Charter Member

I have had the opportunity to play/jam with some significant names.

I spent one beery night playing guitar and dobro seated next to a modest chap with short hair playing an old Gibson F5 mandolin. We played, I sung a bit, banjo players all over probably about ten of us coming and going.

It was a blue grass summer school, and we met and studied with a lot of greats there.

Later I asked who that mandolin player was - I was told it was John Paul Jones.
somewhere I've got a poor recording of me singing one of my originals backed by Darrell Scott.

My singer-songwriter hero is the late great Guy Clark. Apparently, he was known to invite young singer-songwriters over to his modest house in East Nashville, and ask them to sing some of their own songs then - "what else you got?" looking for incomplete ideas they had.

Then he'd work with them to finish one or more of the visitors pieces and one or two of his own songs with them, and then record it part crediting the new chap, and help get them into "the business".

He did that with Shawn Camp.

I'd love that opportunity although the cigarette smoke would make me very ill.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:50 AM

Jam or collaborate with anyone famous?
No.
I don't give a hoot about the famous or celebrities.
Pffffft!

(I use the word hoot because typing the word(s) that accurately conveys the revulsion I feel towards our society's mindless worship of celebrity and fame would get me banned here on AGF).

That said, jamming or collaborating with any fine musician (famous/celeb or the many who are neither) would insult them and paralyze me with intimidation.
I'd love, however, to take lessons from too many real/fine/legit musicians to name.
At the top of the list is Johan Sebastian Bach.

Sigh ... in my dreams.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:06 AM

My first guitar hero, when I was a kid in the early sixties, was a Hamilton, Ontario musician named Jackie Washington. I still love his playing and own all of his records. He had a huge influence on my playing and I was fortunate to be able to hang with him a few times.
Jackie passed in 2009, but I'd dearly love to be able to sit and share some tunes with him.
Here's Jackie with the old Kay guitar he was playing the first time I saw him at The Black Swan Coffee House in the early sixties. He soon after replaced it with a J-45.

Jackie and me during the last year of his life.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 09-26-2020, 05:35 AM

There are so many great musicians out there and it might sound strange but I can't imagine anything better than jamming with the guys in my band (well, most of the time ). Especially the fiddle player and the mandolin/banjo guy. They both play guitar far better than me and I learn a lot from them.
I searched for the right musicians more than half of my life and I'm so grateful I found them.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 09-26-2020, 05:54 AM

King David
Old 09-26-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
I'd say Prince for the same reason. I'll play rhythm and watch him go.
Don't loan him your guitar
2014 Yamaha LS16
2020 Squier CV 50's Telecaster
2022 Yamaha FG3
Old 09-26-2020, 06:05 AM

ANY Musician (Living or Dead) ???

They would have to be dead to give me a fighting chance.

But seriously, I would love to spend some time in the presence of Ian Anderson and his guitar (and flute of course).

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion