The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 01:39 PM

If you can wait until the end of the year, I bet Musician's Friend will be blowing it out for $59,999,99!
Old 09-19-2020, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

For that kind of money one can buy 10 Braz guitars that sound
better than this one. It is thin sounding. It's a collector piece only.

Ron
Old 09-20-2020, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

For that kind of cash it should come with an Anvil case. and a Roadie to carry and tune it for you.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:44 AM

The end pins are only "ivory colored." That's a deal breaker for me.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:03 AM

Compared to what people pay for "Art" the price is quite reasonable - only 2/3rds the price of a banana taped to the wall.https://www.marketwatch.com/story/so...20%24120%2C000.
With the torrefied top and first quality woods and added bling, Martin is playing on many of the elements that people perceive as highly desirable in a guitar, and by limiting production make it instantly "collectable".
When they see their old stuff bringing hundred's of thousands of dollars, it is understandable they would want a piece of that market.
But Martin has been doing that for several years - the "Authentic" series using hide glue and woods and bracing similar to the old instruments and charging a premium for it.
When a luthier raises his prices because his instruments are selling for more "used" than he sells them for "new" we don't think much of it. That a little corporate greed shows up in the marketplace shouldn't be too surprising.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:05 AM

Default Prices move up in time.

The $80K price tag on this replica OM-45 reminds me of the stories about Roy Rogers (Nee Leonard Slye). He needed a guitar for his musical work and found one in a pawn shop. He didn't realize at the time that the guitar that he bought was #1 of 15 OM-45's built by C.F. Martin in 1930. He paid the princely sum of $30 for it and went on to play it on stage and in movies for many years until it was retired in his Museum.

Sometime in 2009, an anonymous buyer purchased it at auction for $460,000 which included the buyer's premium. So it appears that provenance has a lot to do with prices.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guit...-460000-202437
Old 09-20-2020, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

I venture to say the bling is vastly different than what a 45 guitar has today. It's not apples to apples. People bring up the wood but the bling of this caliber isn't something anyone does today. It's a much higher quality and size compared to a recent 45s. Large pieces of high quality material is not easy to come by.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-20-2020, 12:28 PM

Because.... because.... it comes with a hard case, not a gig bag
Old 09-20-2020, 12:59 PM

Only 11 will be made, which I suspect is the maximum number of people Martin thinks will be rich enough and foolish enough to buy one.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
Only 11 will be made, which I suspect is the maximum number of people Martin thinks will be rich enough and foolish enough to buy one.
No, that's how many were made of the originals.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Trying to use Ferrari and this particular Martin guitar as a comparison is wrong. A Ferrari, even the California gives you things in an vehicle that you don’t get in Normal vehicles and they’re at a performance point WAY above the overwhelming majority of vehicles! Throwing some abalone at a copy of a famous guitar doesn’t even come close to making it worth what they’ve got it priced at. I guarantee you it’s not $70+k better sounding or playing than a ‘37 D-28 AA. If I were going to spend $80k on ANYTHING, I’d have to be getting something worth that money. I’m glad they’re are collectors out there who have that kind of disposable cash to spend on stuff like this, but I’d rather keep my D41 and buy me a 1,000 hp C7 Z06 Vette!!
A Ferrari California is NOT 4 times better at ANYTHING than a C7 Grand Sport...
Again, you are trying (and failing) to affix "value" to a luxury good...it's an $80,000 guitar...there's NO VALUE in that proposition. And it's worth $80K if SOMEONE pays $80K (bet someone will). No different from Rolex/Timex, etc...If an $80,000 guitar is too rich for your blood, then just say that...to start this silliness that it "doesn't sound $70K better than a '37 D18"...of course it doesn't and that's NOT THE POINT.
A new D-45 doesn't sound $6,000 better than a new D-28, but that's the price difference (and it sure doesn't cost $6,000 to do the abalone trim)
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 09-22-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:35 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
No, that's how many were made of the originals.
Correct, 11 were made in 1930, I believe.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Old 09-22-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I parked my $28K Subaru Forester next to a new $80K Corvette today at lunch. Sure the Corvette is fast and stylish, but I got there and back home again just fine having spent a fraction of that price. I do not begrudge the fellow for having that car - it's just not what I would choose. FWIW I have seen the Millionth Martin up close and personal.... they weren't allowing anyone to play that museum piece. Replica D-100's are/were $115K msrp, but I doubt that having all that abalone puked all over it -- my wife's words -- makes it sound any better. Some photos: https://www.thegoldeneraguitar.com/martin-d-100-deluxe

No doubt some Saudi prince or tech billionaire will buy whatever they make. At that level price is not a factor, except maybe for bragging rights.
So, you're not a "car" guy...
And the guy that bought a 5 year old Outback for $14,000 got there and back also and let someone ELSE take the depreciation hit (someone like you). You realize you can play this game all day about ANY consumer product, right?
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Old 09-22-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
A Ferrari California is NOT 4 times better at ANYTHING than a C7 Grand Sport...
Again, you are trying (and failing) to affix "value" to a luxury good...it's an $80,000 guitar...there's NO VALUE in that proposition. And it's worth $80K if SOMEONE pays $80K (bet someone will). No different from Rolex/Timex, etc...If an $80,000 guitar is too rich for your blood, then just say that...to start this silliness that it "doesn't sound $70K better than a '37 D18"...of course it doesn't and that's NOT THE POINT.
A new D-45 doesn't sound $6,000 better than a new D-28, but that's the price difference (and it sure doesn't cost $6,000 to do the abalone trim)

This whole post and people thinking this guitar is ridiculously overpriced is really bothering you, I see! It’s not too rich for my blood, it’s the fact that I work hard for my money and if I spend big money on something, I want to get my worth out of it. That why I wear Citizen watches versus Breitling. As bad as I want one, I don’t see spending the extra money when my $500 watch tells the time just as accurately. I’m allowed to feel the way I do. By the way, a C7 Z06 is the route I’d go over the Grand Sport!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 09-22-2020, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

I don't know if this applies but I had a friend that came into some big money. After several years he was getting used to it so he bought his wife a Mercedes. Because he wanted her to have one. Then he found out that she was going out of her way to protect it by walking a block to the mall entrance and that sort of thing. He thought that was ridiculous so to not be outdone he took it back. He found out they would only give him about half of what it was worth from when he bought it a week ago or so. So he took it back home and told his wife it wasn't worth that much so now the price was down where she felt comfortable driving it. True story.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion