The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-07-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Thinking about this one.
it's Jon's. You'll like it. He said he babied it.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDEMO1 View Post
Your mods look great and I bet the K&K sounds good too.
Wish these came with slightly wider string spacing at the saddle.
Love the dots on the fretboard instead of the typical Rainsong shark inlays.

If I eventually try a CF guitar it will probably be an X30 or Sable, but this model or the Al Petteway signature are interesting options from Rainsong.
I had the sable too. Nice and warm sounding for solo work. It didn't hold up well in acoustic ensemble work. So, when deciding which to sell to pay the bills, I decided to sell the Sable. I would be very interested in playing/owning an X30.

Last edited by martingitdave; 09-07-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:44 PM

I'm surprised that the Sable doesn't hold up better in an ensemble. The RainSong Shorty does, surprisingly well actually. Maybe it has that mid-range boost that the Sable lacks (Sable is more scooped)?

I've not played an X20 and have a question for you that own them; does the X20 hold up okay in an ensemble? One thing I really love about RainSong guitars is that they really are pretty loud and hold their own very well, even the Parlor.

BTW, my question is with regard to the audience perspective, out in front. Anyone have experience hearing the X20 in an acoustic set?
Old 09-07-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I'm surprised that the Sable doesn't hold up better in an ensemble. The RainSong Shorty does, surprisingly well actually. Maybe it has that mid-range boost that the Sable lacks (Sable is more scooped)?

I've not played an X20 and have a question for you that own them; does the X20 hold up okay in an ensemble? One thing I really love about RainSong guitars is that they really are pretty loud and hold their own very well, even the Parlor.

BTW, my question is with regard to the audience perspective, out in front. Anyone have experience hearing the X20 in an acoustic set?
Same questions for me. The Sable did not hold up well with bluegrass folks. The Rainsong is a bit better.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:54 AM

I decided to hold onto my V-DR. While I'm not playing much acoustic these days, I have given some thought to what I might buy if I resumed. It seems if I combine my desire for loud in a jam, traditional looks, with robustness to hot/cold/humidity/dings, I just come back to the V-DR.

I think this video gives you the relative placement of a RainSong "V" series vs. the nearest equivalent Martin (a little louder and a bit brighter). I prefered the RainSong in this demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smgw...L&index=2&t=0s

Even looking at plane rides there is not much advantage to a smaller guitar if you look at the exterior length of common cases (what matters for wheelie space).

TKL Case Exterior Dimensions LengthxWidthxHeight"
8875-Parlor 41x15.25x5.5"
8876-0 41x16.5x6"
7800-00 43x16.75x6.125"
8805-OM 43x17.5x6.5"
8810-Dreadnought 43x19x7"
GSmini-HardBag 39x16x6"

Dave inspired me to remove the pickguard. I've got clear static cling and low tack adhesive vinyl to replace it (a poly finish can be a nice thing). Maybe not the finest veneer???

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 09-12-2020 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:21 AM

How's that compare to McPherson sable?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 09-12-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
How's that compare to McPherson sable?
Not as warm, but louder. I had both for a while. I probably liked the tone of the McPherson better, but I play regularly in an acoustic ensemble. So, the RainSong is a better fit. Truthfully, the McPherson likely only sounds warmer because the sound hole was pointed at the player. In front, I'm told they are about the same.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I decided to hold onto my V-DR. While I'm not playing much acoustic these days, I have given some thought to what I might buy if I resumed. It seems if I combine my desire for loud in a jam, traditional looks, with robustness to hot/cold/humidity/dings, I just come back to the V-DR.

I think this video gives you the relative placement of a RainSong "V" series vs. the nearest equivalent Martin (a little louder and a bit brighter). I prefered the RainSong in this demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smgw...L&index=2&t=0s

Even looking at plane rides there is not much advantage to a smaller guitar if you look at the exterior length of common cases (what matters for wheelie space).

TKL Case Exterior Dimensions LengthxWidthxHeight"
8875-Parlor 41x15.25x5.5"
8876-0 41x16.5x6"
7800-00 43x16.75x6.125"
8805-OM 43x17.5x6.5"
8810-Dreadnought 43x19x7"
GSmini-HardBag 39x16x6"

Dave inspired me to remove the pickguard. I've got clear static cling and low tack adhesive vinyl to replace it (a poly finish can be a nice thing). Maybe not the finest veneer???

Well done Jon. I agree with your assessment. Also, good point on saving one or two inches in overhead space. That is not justification for me to play a small guitar.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:35 AM

Found the right strings for the RainSong VD-R. GHS Phos Bronze mediums. They are 194lb tension strings (EJ17s are 186 for example) and they have just enough pull to light the carbon spruce top up. And the tone is better and less harsh. A little truss adjustment and it's now about as loud as the Martins - but not as nice, obviously. I don't expect these string to last super long, but they were on sale for $29 for 6 sets. So, it's cheap enough to change them when they get dull. I think, for me, the experimenting is over.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I had the sable too. Nice and warm sounding for solo work. It didn't hold up well in acoustic ensemble work. So, when deciding which to sell to pay the bills, I decided to sell the Sable. I would be very interested in playing/owning an X30.

This is my experience. The Sable is lovely, a beautiful sounding guitar. But when I play with my buddies, it gets lost. I miss the brightness. In contrast, I brought my 814 with an Adirondack top to our last gathering, and it was a different story. The 814 stood out more, had more presence.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

Last edited by mikealpine; 09-26-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. For strictly solo work I suspect the Sable would have been a better choice for me. But I was looking for my all rounder carbon guitar. This Rainsong is cutting the mustard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber