The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-13-2020, 07:34 PM

Default Sebatron?

Hi all

I’m considering pulling the trigger on a sebatron VMPQuadPlus. I believe it is very similar in sound to the vmp4000. I’m struggling to find examples of guitar and vocals (which would be my primary use). I believe some forum members own sebatrons so wondered what the opinions are?

What would rock my world would be to hear examples of a sebatron on vocals and guitar compared to a more transparent pre on the same source. I know I maybe asking too much but does anyone have this type of example?

I currently own a focusrite Isa 2 which I’m happy with and my other option is to add another to make 4 channels. 4 channels of the same pre is really what I’d like. I’m just so tempted to go tube as I love that big warm sound. I own a tube vocal mic and am aware mics would make more difference but I’m happy with my current mics, so focused on the pre many thanks
Old 04-13-2020, 07:35 PM

Default Sebatron?

I own a vmp4000 and use it on all kinds of things. Bought at Rockabilly69’s recommendation. No regrets. Sounds killer.

I’ll be in my studio tomorrow. What would you like to hear recorded? It would honestly be easier to just track something quick for you than remember what I used it on (we are set up for tracking already so the mics are all out).

And what would you want to hear it compared to? And wha tv kinds of mics?

Last edited by midwinter; 04-13-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
I own a vmp4000 and use it on all kinds of things. Bought at Rockabilly69’s recommendation. No regrets. Sounds killer.
Thanks for the response! It is in keeping with what I hear on forums, most people seem very happy with them

do you use it on vocals?
Old 04-13-2020, 07:45 PM

It’s great on anything. But it does not distort/saturate much. It’s pretty clean. I’ll see if I can find a vocal I tracked on it.

You won’t regret it.

Also: I edited my initial response.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:

I’ll be in my studio tomorrow. What would you like to hear recorded? It would honestly be easier to just track something quick for you than remember what I used it on (we are set up for tracking already so the mics are all out).

And what would you want to hear it compared to? And wha tv kinds of mics?
Wow, that would be amazing. Thank you!!

My guitar mics are stereo mc930 Beyer sdc and my vocal is either a Charteroak 538 or akg 414. I’m also getting into using Di via a tonedexter and effect pedals so that I can minimise bleed as I like to track with guitar and vocal at same time. Currently using the Isa 2 and Xmax pre on my firestudio interface. To be honest, hearing the sebatron on vocal and guitar without any processing compared to pre with more transparency would be perfect. Just something simple to give me a flavour of what the sebatron offers
Old 04-13-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipe dreamer View Post

My guitar mics are stereo mc930 Beyer sdc and my vocal is either a Charteroak 538 or akg 414. I’m also getting into using Di via a tonedexter and effect pedals so that I can minimise bleed as I like to track with guitar and vocal at same time. Currently using the Isa 2 and Xmax pre on my firestudio interface. To be honest, hearing the sebatron on vocal and guitar without any processing compared to pre with more transparency would be perfect. Just something simple to give me a flavour of what the sebatron offers

Cool. I’m currently set up with two 414s in my station for instruments and vocals.

I can track you something both through it and then the same thing through my Apollo (super clean) tomorrow before our session. No problem.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Cool. I’m currently set up with two 414s in my station for instruments and vocals.

I can track you something both through it and then the same thing through my Apollo (super clean) tomorrow before our session. No problem.
You have no idea how grateful I would be

I’m pretty confident I’ll like it, but it would be great to hear it doing it’s thing before committing. Thank you midwinter.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:05 PM

Default Sebatron?

Quote:

I'm 85% sure most of these vocals (and all mic'd instruments) were tracked through it (I've since gotten a pair of LA610s and built a couple of 500-series channel strips [Neve and API] that now get more vocal action). Pretty sure this was just with a WA14 and the keys going into the Sebatron.

There's a video of us tracking "Come on Up to the House" in my living room but I don't know if the Seb is visible.

Honestly? I'd buy a second one in a heartbeat and be stupid happy with 8 channels of creamy clean tube.

Rockabilly69 is much better about keeping tracking notes than I am and he always lists his gear used on his Soundcloud than I am on mine.

Last edited by midwinter; 04-13-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I'm 85% sure all of these vocals (and all mic'd instruments) were tracked through it (I've since gotten a pair of LA610s and built a couple of 500-series channel strips [Neve and API] that now get more vocal action). Pretty sure this was just with a WA14 and the keys going into the Sebatron.

There's a video of us tracking "Come on Up to the House" in my living room but I don't know if the Seb is visible.

Honestly? I'd buy a second one in a heartbeat and be stupid happy with 8 channels of creamy clean tube.

Rockabilly69 is much better about keeping tracking notes than I am and he always lists his gear used on his Soundcloud than I am on mine.
Perfect, thank you 🙏 I’ll have a good listen to this when I’ve got family duty out of the way . Interesting you mention Neve, that is on my long term radar but is more expensive per channel than the sebatron. And as mentioned, I do love the sound of tubes!!!
Old 04-13-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Perfect, thank you 🙏 I’ll have a good listen to this when I’ve got family duty out of the way . Interesting you mention Neve, that is on my long term radar but is more expensive per channel than the sebatron. And as mentioned, I do love the sound of tubes!!!
The only track on that CD I linked that I'm certain went through another pre was "Meet Me in the Morning." I only remember because I accidentally tracked her too hot and burned the vocals so badly that I had to have her come back in and redo them.

The Neve-ish strip was in this lunchbox. It's now in this lunchbox. The Heritage Audio pre is just incredible. CRAZY amount of gain. The Wunder Allotrope is noisy but very cool. I don't know why people rag on the DBX. That thing can be knocking 10-12db off the input and I can't hear it squishing at all. I love it—and it's super cheap!

The API side is equally amazing, but the compressor wound up with a bad pot and API isn't taking anything in for repairs because of COVID-19, so I haven't really been able to put it through its paces.

Edit: pretty sure that aside from the keys, every instrument track here is Sebatron and a KM184. Videos of these sessions are here.

Feel free to DM me or email. My contact info is easy enough to find via any of the links I've provided.

Last edited by midwinter; 04-13-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I'm 85% sure most of these vocals (and all mic'd instruments) were tracked through it (I've since gotten a pair of LA610s and built a couple of 500-series channel strips [Neve and API] that now get more vocal action). Pretty sure this was just with a WA14 and the keys going into the Sebatron.

I couldn’t resist putting my headphones on! I’ve downloaded the album on iTunes. Stunning first impression!! Seems to me the perfect blend of great songs, musicians, gear and recording skills. Thank you for this. I just keep thinking how good the music sounds, so that’s a plus for the sebatron! Among the other pluses of course.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:08 PM

Default Sebatron?

Aww thanks! We have tons of videos online. We do lots on Facebook.

Also: my guitar on track one is a Waterloo into a km184 into the sebatron.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Aww thanks! We have tons of videos online. We do lots on Facebook.
Cool. Something I’m doing to keep sane during lockdown is going out on my bike with some music in my ears...I’ll be having a good listen this way. Are you playing guitar on the record?

I just saw your edit. Hats off to you! It sounds fantastic

Last edited by pipe dreamer; 04-13-2020 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Wanted to
Old 04-13-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Are you playing guitar on the record?
Yeah, that's my guitar (a Waterloo WL-12 that is a massive jerk of a guitar but I love it). We're all multi-instrumentalists, so on other records we switch things up and often bring in friends.

Sebatron all over on every one of those recordings.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:14 PM

I have the vmp2000 and love it. No tracks to share, but here's an excellent video by SoundPure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD