The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
This thread is nearly 9 years old.
Not any more!

Why no scalloped fingerboards, that's what I want to know!
Old 07-25-2020, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I have a Yamaha that has larger frets. I like it better than smaller frets. If I ever get a custom made, I'll show them the frets on this guitar.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 07-25-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
This thread is nearly 9 years old.

Wow didn’t notice. Darn dead thread necromancers! [emoji23]
Old 07-26-2020, 05:25 AM

Here is my idea and no one has mentioned it yet...

As an acoustic guitar fret wears and develops flat topped divots, the fretted note will start to "zing" for the plain strings and can actually buzz for the wound strings (this I've experienced).

As a fret wears, a narrow one will have a narrower flat topped divot.

On an electric guitar, you can't hear any of this and worn big frets are fine with the advantage you can squeeze for vibrato.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-26-2020, 06:43 AM

Tone. Fatter frets have a larger radius crown, leaving more string in contact with the fret when noting. This produces a fatter, fuller tone. For playing the blues that's great but most acoustic players are more interested in sparkle, overtones, and a nice clear bell tone.

I live in the electric world as well and can hear the difference between the wire gauges, especially on Fenders. I prefer my guitars with the tall and skinny "vintage" gauge now (0.090" wide crown vs standard 0.080") which is a nice compromise.

I speculate that jumbo wire gained popularity a few decades ago because strings bend nicely across it and it meshes nicely with a humbucker tone. The other thing is it obviously lasts longer before needing leveling or refretting. The the advent of SS fretwire and now, EVO Gold, that rationale is no longer relevent
Old 09-26-2020, 08:02 AM

I'm going for FW55090 EVO, they should be medium-jumbo, like 6105 from dunlop, for my Gibson J-45.

Is it a good choice? They should be a little bigger than stock but not so much.. I really desire to have a lighter touch on the fingerboard as I have wrists problems, what do you think guys?
Old 09-26-2020, 01:20 PM

After I wore the frets near down to the board on the epi, I went with jumbo frets. Tone and sustain went through the roof. It was the only guitar I played for five years before that point, so I knew every nuance of how it sounded. I still remember vividly the first play in the store when I went to pick it up, heavenly! I'll definitely give jumbo frets a shot the next time I need a guitar refretted.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:10 PM

Eh, I'd much rather have vintage-size EVO frets if I was concerned about durability and lifetime.

I consider jumbo frets one of the worst things to catch on in the guitar-world. It's just a different way of achieving the same effect as a scalloped fretboard - which is playing more shred-tasctically as you don't have that pesky fretboard adding drag to your finger-motion. Removing that connection to the fretboard removes some of the connection to the instrument.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanx View Post
I'm going for FW55090 EVO, they should be medium-jumbo, like 6105 from dunlop, for my Gibson J-45.

Is it a good choice? They should be a little bigger than stock but not so much.. I really desire to have a lighter touch on the fingerboard as I have wrists problems, what do you think guys?
Yes, 55090 is a fantastic choice. You will find it’s much easier to cleanly fret certain barre chord formations. I can’t say that I notice a tonal difference between large fret wire and vintage (I have both) except that it may take a lot more pressure to get some barre formations to ring clearly with the latter.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:22 PM

My 71 Guild D-55 has jumbo frets -it plays great
Old 09-26-2020, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanx View Post

They are very close to the old 6105 size. I used to use Dunlop 6105 but I've moved to Jescar 55090 size. I am told that 6105 is taller now than it used to be but I've already made the switch so I can't verify that.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

How does a capo fit in here? More need for retuning when applying, or just apply more lightly?
Old 09-26-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
How does a capo fit in here? More need for retuning when applying, or just apply more lightly?
No jumbo frets on any of my acoustics, but I have electrics with them. Yes, you capo with a lighter grip and/or retune if you don't (and if you have a Kyser you have no choice but to retune). On the other hand, with lower and vintage frets sometimes you have more issues with the capo not cleanly fretting if it doesn't match the fretboard radius.

And of course this high frets/capo application is more of an issue if you aren't playing solo. Having each string more or less equally a few cents sharp isn't that big a crime for a solo piece to my duff ears.

I generally check tuning after I capo regardless of capo type and fret height unless I'm particularly distracted. What you bring up would be an issue if you were one of those who rare players who move the capo to a different fret in the midst of a song.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-27-2020, 03:35 AM

Thanks guys for the replies, I'll go with 55090 on my J-45 so!
Really interesting the capo fact...
I use exclusively Shubb capos, and I always use capo with my acoustics, hope I'll be fine with the taller frets
Old 09-27-2020, 04:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

A thread from antiquity, but whatever.......

I've been using Dunlop 6100 fretwire for almost 20 years, and as of late I make sure to use stainless steel so that it's the last time it ever needs replacing.

I use it on my flattops and my electrics as well. I don't have any callouses to speak of, and I don't have a death grip, so intonation isn't an issue.

It makes bending very easy as there is little fingertip to fingerboard contact. For the most part I'm using .013-.054 sets on acoustic & electric.

Regards,
Howard Emerson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion