The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-26-2020, 05:35 PM

Default Scratchy frets

Just picked up a squier mustang for my girlfriend as she’s expressed interest in learning, and this guitar should fit her small hands. There’s a lot of roughness/scratchiness to the frets, though - most obviously when bending, but also when just fretting notes. Never encountered this before. Should I try to smooth them out, and if so, what would you use?
Old 09-26-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
...what would you use?
A good tech: a pro fret job is worth its weight in gold when it comes to playability - especially for a beginner - and IME most low-end guitars tend to cut corners in this area; spring the extra bucks - she'll thank you later...
Old 09-26-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Just picked up a squier mustang for my girlfriend as she’s expressed interest in learning, and this guitar should fit her small hands. There’s a lot of roughness/scratchiness to the frets, though - most obviously when bending, but also when just fretting notes. Never encountered this before. Should I try to smooth them out, and if so, what would you use?

Any kind of fret polish will do the trick. Put aside a few hours but it’s very worth it. I highly recommend GHS Gorgomyte. This neck had green frets and Gorgomyte made them as smooth as new. You can see the difference on the higher frets that I didn’t polish when compared to the polished lower frets.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Do you mean on the part of the fret that the strings touch, or the fret ends? The fret ends are an easy DIY fix, otherwise maybe not depending on how handy you are. Youtube Phil McKnight, he has lots of good how-to stuff; you might give it a look before paying a tech.

Oh: also, if you bought this new I think you should take it back for refund or replacement or, at the least, free repair. The days when this was acceptable on even a low-end guitar are long gone.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:00 PM

you need

Blue Painters Tape, cover the pickups.
Fret Guards (find them on amazon), they're dirt cheap.. or just use painters tape

a bag of 0000 steel or brass wool

Using a small pad of the 0000 wool Polish each fret, problem solved.

Just do what you need to do to protect the fretboard 'tween the frets and cover the pickups..

you're good...
Old 09-26-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
000 steel wool or just play them in.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:14 PM

Thanks all. It’s the surface of the frets that contact the strings that are very rough. The fret ends are fine.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:15 PM

As mentioned above, a polish will remove minor issues and is not too complicated at task. A setup, recommended by one response above, is also a good idea just to make the guitar play as well as it can for a beginner.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-27-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks all. It’s the surface of the frets that contact the strings that are very rough. The fret ends are fine.
As others mentioned you need to smooth over the frets. Scratchy frets are not fun, almost like fingers on a chalkboard when you're trying to bend.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
As others mentioned you need to smooth over the frets. Scratchy frets are not fun, almost like fingers on a chalkboard when you're trying to bend.
Yeah, it plays alright in general, but the graying feeling and sound is awful. Someone just told me that steel wool bits can affect the pickups, since they’re magnetic and all. Is this a real concern?
Old 09-27-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it plays alright in general, but the graying feeling and sound is awful. Someone just told me that steel wool bits can affect the pickups, since they’re magnetic and all. Is this a real concern?
If that's a concern, tape something over the pickups. Any low-tack tape holding foil, plastic baggy, or even newspaper ought to do it.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Some people won't use steel wool, no matter the precautions you take. I'm not one of them; I wrapped the body in a pillowcase and went to town on the gloss finish on a cheap Strat. I'd do the same on my expensive guitar. There is something called ScotchBrite; never used it but you may want to check it out as an alternative.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
I'll say this again. It's all you really need.

you need

Blue Painters Tape, cover the pickups.
Fret Guards (find them on amazon), they're dirt cheap.. or just use painters tape

a bag of 0000 steel or brass wool

Using a small pad of the 0000 wool Polish each fret, problem solved.

Just do what you need to do to protect the fretboard 'tween the frets and cover the pickups..

you're good
Old 09-28-2020, 04:39 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Tape off the fretboard, then fine grit steel wool, then I use one of those multisided fingernail buffs. Works wonders. You can oil the fretboard too!
Old 09-28-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
You can use steel wood as long as you cover your pickups (as already mentioned).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars