The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-11-2021, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Mac Jones isn’t a great athlete but he is an amazing thrower of the ball. Obviously.

Devonta Smith broke the record for the number of catches and reception yards in a CFB game by a receiver - all in the first half. He is a special athlete and has very good hands.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:14 PM

What was the point spread? 9? Somebody is gonna make some $$$ tonight.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Roll Tide

D
Old 01-11-2021, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
Roll Tide

D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYQT35djtc

Mac Jones sets a championship game record with 464 passing yards.
Roll Tide.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:23 AM

Congratulations to Alabama. They are one of those rare teams that have no weaknesses.

The Buckeyes have for years lived by the "bend but don't break" secondary, and I hope after last night they banish that philosophy forever.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Not that I want Bama to ever win another championship, but good to see they’re on their way of keeping it from being a complete mockery by allowing a team that’s played only 8 games win a championship. Hopefully they keep pouring it on.

It wasn’t our fault we could only play an abbreviated schedule and in case you missed it, we destroyed Clemson.
At least we are in the championship, where’s your team?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-12-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
It wasn’t our fault we could only play an abbreviated schedule and in case you missed it, we destroyed Clemson.
At least we are in the championship, where’s your team?
Whether it was their fault or not, TAMU was way more deserving. OSU is a great program though. My team was at home with their armed forces bowl trophy.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
Roll Tide

D
Alabama did more than just roll tide last night. Still proud of my Buckeyes for getting that far.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Default College Football 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Alabama did more than just roll tide last night. Still proud of my Buckeyes for getting that far.

Hey Dru,
OSU has a great and storied program. They will be back next year and for many years to come- as will Clemson, Alabama and the other usual contenders.

Maybe after 2023 the playoffs will be expanded and more fans will be more interested in the post season play.

I’m personally grateful for college football because it funds all the non revenue generating sports, giving a wide variety of athletes the opportunity to pursue an education and the life lessons that come with being a student athlete.

The economic impact of a successful football program/ athletic department on the local economy is hard to appreciate if you haven’t witnessed it.

I propose we meet back up again for another college football thread this up coming fall!

Cheers.

Last edited by TRose; 01-12-2021 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:13 AM

The late, great Paul Harnung was a color man for TV and said that maybe if the academic standards for college admittance were lowered, all the the teams could be more competitive-----he was immediately fired from the TV booth broadcast team!

Urban Meyer, (Now Ryan), Sabin, the Clemson coach all know how to assemble great college football teams. There's a good article on this subject in the WSJ,---I guess Jim Harbaugh is a slow learner at the U of M, like the rest, he has a bottomless pit to finance his recruiting.

I think in 1961, OSU, after an excellent season (Crushing U of M at the end), voted NOT to go to the Rose Bowl,-----they didn't want to be identified as a "football school". Even Woody Hayes went along with the decision. Today there is an academic building on the OSU campus named after him!

Fog
Old 01-13-2021, 07:18 AM

Facts are facts.
Ohio State was minus two starters on the defensive line. We had almost no pass rush. Both of those kids will be drafted in the NFL this year. Trey Sermon who had rushed for over two hundred yards against Clemson got hurt on the first play of the game and never returned. He will also be drafted into the NFL.
That’s it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-13-2021, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
The late, great Paul Harnung was a color man for TV and said that maybe if the academic standards for college admittance were lowered, all the the teams could be more competitive-----he was immediately fired from the TV booth broadcast team!

Urban Meyer, (Now Ryan), Sabin, the Clemson coach all know how to assemble great college football teams. There's a good article on this subject in the WSJ,---I guess Jim Harbaugh is a slow learner at the U of M, like the rest, he has a bottomless pit to finance his recruiting.

I think in 1961, OSU, after an excellent season (Crushing U of M at the end), voted NOT to go to the Rose Bowl,-----they didn't want to be identified as a "football school". Even Woody Hayes went along with the decision. Today there is an academic building on the OSU campus named after him!

Fog

Fog,
That script has been flipped. Completely and entirely.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Default College Football 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Facts are facts.

Ohio State was minus two starters on the defensive line. We had almost no pass rush. Both of those kids will be drafted in the NFL this year. Trey Sermon who had rushed for over two hundred yards against Clemson got hurt on the first play of the game and never returned. He will also be drafted into the NFL.

That’s it.

Rok,
It was unfortunate that OSU had some pro level starters out. It would have been great to see a both teams at full strength compete. Of course Alabama had pro level starters unable to play as well. Alabama had sufficient depth at those positions. Depth at position is one measure of a programs strength after all.
I would have enjoyed seeing Sermon play. He is a great player to be sure. The next running back up looked really good as well but for OSU to hang with Alabama they were going to have to lean hard on the passing game.
You made an interesting observation earlier in the thread: “In close games you give the nod to the best QB.”
I agreed with that statement but was puzzled by your conclusion. Mac Jones has the highest QB rating (203.1)and the highest completion percentage (77.4%)in the history of college football.
He had those metrics before and after the championship game.
Of course that is made possible by what has been deemed the best offensive line in college football this year( Joe Moore award recipients), a receiving corp that are great route runners and are able to make adjustments and catches, running backs that are freak athletes, and a great offensive scheme. He is a great thrower of the ball, both long and short passes. He is not a great runner- but because of the reasons above he doesn’t need to be.

OSU is a great and storied program. They will reload and be back in the mix next year, undoubtedly. In the big picture the program has and will continue to serve its institution and community at large in an enormous way- and that is a WIN.

See you next fall unless there is a recruiting thread before then![emoji3]

Last edited by TRose; 01-13-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:40 AM

Hey TRose,
Mac Jones had better stats for sure, but he was the beneficiary of a great cast on offenses. He is truly a “system” QB who performed well.
As far as what’s ahead, the Buckeyes have two recruiting classes coming in in 202O and 2021 that are ranked 5th and 2nd respectively. As of this moment the 2022 Class is ranked number 1 with three five stars already in the fold.
2021 will be a reload in many respects and a lot will depend on who chooses to stay on the current roster of undergrads.
The 2021 Class is loaded, some of those kids may have a chance to play as freshman.
No question, we are going to be in the mix.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-14-2021, 09:53 AM

Recruiting the creme de la creme High School stars seem to be the key, U of Alabama usually gets about 10% of them every year, OSU, Clemson are close behind so after a few years you have great team rosters and are featured on TV which generates more hype for your program.

Increasing the playoff system to 8 teams will help some but those 9-0 folks are going to be "cannon fodder" in the quarter finals. Anyway, I enjoy the pure competition and look forward to the tournament.

Fog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic