The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Jaspar - a couple things I didn't mention in my first reply...

First, BE SURE to let your teacher know your bckground with the trumpet! I agree that knowing music is a major plus. How accomplished were you as a trumpet player? Can you sight read fluently? Did you play jazz, where improvisation was required? Do you have a solid working knowledge of theory and harmony?

Secondly, there is a saturation point with learning; it varies from student to student. In my limited teaching experience (I've FIRED more students than I've kept, LOL!), most beginners can't deal with much more than 1/2 hour lessons... I always adjust, according to the student; some I will keep going with, others I'll cut off sooner. You may be an exception to this, and when you find an instructor who works for you, they will probably do the same - although, the longer the lesson, the more $$$, usually.

Keep after it! It is an extremely worthy path to follow, this guitar playing thing...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-06-2010, 09:26 AM

I pretty much in the same set of shoes last March. That first half hour lesson was a blur for me (time went really fast!). However that half hour seems longer as the weeks go by. I could go into all the things I didn't like about my teacher but I'll save you the time.

I would take the 4 lesssons and evaluate things at the end of the time period. All together, I took lessons for 7 months with two different teachers and while they were both great guys, great players and pretty knowledgeable.......... I'm done taking lessons.

The best advice I can give to new players is to get a simple (and I mean real simple, which it sounds like you have one) songbook and work on it with a metronome. After 6-8 months of working hard and getting good playing melodies and improving your chords/strumming then you should branch out into the genre of music you want to play or focus on.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:18 PM

I just started playing guitar and taught myself for about a month. I finally decided to start taking lessons. I have 30 minute lessons once a week, and I had my 4th lesson yesterday.

It sounds like you might need a new teacher. My teacher has been so helpful, and I learn so much in those 30 minutes. When I first walk in, I play him whatever I had been working on for the week, and he helps me correct any mistakes I made. He let's me pick a song off my ipod, and he writes down the chords and rhythm for me, and that is always my homework. I didn't do that well with the song we picked last week so it's my homework again this week. He has about 65 students a week, but he caters every lesson to each individual student and their needs. He doesn't have a set way of teaching things.

I don't think you give up on lessons completely. I would look around more until you find one that's a good fit. Maybe you could interview the teacher before you start paying for lessons.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:38 PM

I am "self taught" with the exception of the 3 or 4 lessons I've been to in the last year. All I can say is try to find a teacher who will work with you and help you but most importantly who seems "enthused" with learning guitar.

http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/i...afv-468x60.jpg
Old 11-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Guitar Honey

Quote:
Originally Posted by osweetmelody View Post
2cents - Having to pay for a set of 4 lessons (is a red flag!) if you don't know if the instructor is a match for you or not...
I agree wholeheartedly with this. Being an instructor myself, I always have students take just one lesson to decide if I am the right teacher for them or not, before having them pay for a month at a time. Teachers (store or not) should always let you try them out before signing up for more lessons.

I start beginning students out on the Progressive Guitar Method (then go to the Fingerstyle Guitar series later). You can do this on your own, by just following the book. I also give them songs on the side so they can learn to play chords and right hand rhythms as well as learning note reading.

As the folks here have said, it is a journey and should be enjoyed, so have fun with it! There will be times of trial, but hang in there and keep looking for different ways to learn, such as videos, workshops, etc.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:52 AM

First of all, lessons paid for in blocks of four (sometimes five, if there are five weeks in the month...) is a fairly common practice. It's common enough, anyway, that it shouldn't raise any "flags".

The first lesson is hard to gauge because the teacher is feeling you out, and your nervous, and he is trying to see what instruction you need at your level, and...Basically it's hard to knock out anything concrete in the first lesson.

30 minutes is plenty of time. Head to head for one hour leaves most people drained. You don't have to come in with a piece prepared like in trumpet, he might not even teach the same way your used to.

Alright think of this before you go in for no. 2 : If this is your last lesson, and your walking out...What would like to be able to play, THAT you cant play now?
Old 11-10-2010, 02:32 AM

My problem with formal instruction is that the student is being expected to absorb three things at once: Music theory, reading skills, the physical manipulation of the instrument.

You already are at least conversant with, if not a master of, two of the above. I suggest you use your remaining lessons to get pointers in position and attack. Then just work through books on your own. Once you learn the fretboard and develop calluses, you should be able to read just about anything. Then you can decide where you want to take the guitar and what you want to get out of it.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:14 AM
happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losov View Post
My problem with formal instruction is that the student is being expected to absorb three things at once: Music theory, reading skills, the physical manipulation of the instrument.....
I'm not sure that this is necessarily the case - many guitar teachers don't include music theory as part of the package, or music reading skills, and indeed many good guitarists and teachers don't necessarily have those skills themselves. When I've had lessons, my teacher has focused very much on the skills of playing the instrument - getting a cleaner and better tone, techniques for accompanying singing, learning my way round the fretboard and different chord voicings (which involves some theory but only the minimum needed for that particular aspect of playing) and learning to play specific songs and tunes.

Don't a lot of teachers work this way, focusing on the practical elements rather than theory?

Fliss
Old 11-10-2010, 10:53 AM

Been lucky enough to have two teachers be good for me. The 1st moved away so I had to find another. One key for me is knowing I am better off with 60 minute lessons every other week. I am (usually) more prepared after two weeks. The hour allows a little more time for tuning, a quick warm-up, some discussion, and often a chance to just play a song or two together. My teacher likes us to just play a little in the hour to see what else I like to play (as it is often a song I learned elsewhere), and how well I do with it. I tend to pick songs I can play better and faster for those little 'jams'. When we play those songs together it is often the most fun part of the lesson. Tom often takes that space in my lesson to push me past my comfort zone on speed, and I get to be a part of what I often feel is something special as I rarely get to be a part of something that sounds so good as when he 'takes off'.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 11-10-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post

Don't a lot of teachers work this way, focusing on the practical elements rather than theory?

Fliss
OK, let's say that's the case. The guy just needs to know how to hold it and which way the pick goes. He can handle the rest.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:51 PM

Smile Guitar Lessons

What I have found the most helpful is just learning a song. Especially a song you are interested in. Learning "My Dog Has Fleas" or some other beginner song that "Teachers" like to dump on you is like pushing a square ball up hill.

May I suggest you get a song book of easy guitar songs that you like. Make sure they have the chord diagrams printed and not just letters. It will help you move on more smoothly. Then decide how much time you are going to spend and then spend it. Don't short change your guitar practice time. 1/2 hour a day at least if you can of pure practice.

I am presently learning to play "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring." A real challenge to me but after a few weeks it's starting to come together. I will learn this song and learn a lot about finger coordination etc. I will be a better player for the experience. And if I have a busy week I won't have the discouraging experience of going into a lesson unprepared.

That's my 2 cents.

Lord bless,

Rustin
Old 12-02-2010, 10:20 AM

Default lessons vs learning

You have my sympathy, however, there are some things that will help you progress. First of all learn some music theory and how to read music. I was reluctant to do so and it has made the whole process more difficult than it needed to be. You should then decide what you want to play and find a teacher that specializes in that type of music. Learn the notes on the fret board. I'm currently deployed and will take this opportunity to study music theory and learn the fret board. I also moved from one instructor(all were good in their own way) to another before settling with the fellow I take lessons from at home. I've made a good deal of progress of late, however, without understanding the basics you, like me, will not get where you want to be. Oh, I also decided to try to learn jazz, after that everything else seems a lot more doable. Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write