The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2002, 07:47 PM

Default acoustic amp for $400-$600

I am looking for a upgrade...

What are people feeling the best acoustic amp is:

$400-$600 2 channels...30-60 watts per channelis fine...Church gigs...

Thanks

Big Baby
814 bce
K65 ce custom
Old 09-19-2002, 08:14 PM

My Praise Team partner, Chuck, has one of the Ultrasounds -- just a terrific amp! Lightweight, and very, very excellent sound.

The Ultrasound site...

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS
Old 09-19-2002, 11:41 PM

Hmmm...
I saw the title of the thread and thought that I would come in here and try to sell you my SWR Strawberry Blonde, but it is not 2 channels. However, someone in the For Sale section is selling a SWR California Blonde for 500 bones (I think) which is an awesome deal for an outstanding amp. I know that it has a channel for guitar and one for mic, but I am assuming that you can use the mic channel for guitar as well if that is your intention.
-Matt
Old 09-20-2002, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

IMHO, its the Carvin AG100D....500 bucks shipped, 100 watts, THREE channels (the third channel has both a 3/8" input and an XLR mic input), 16 or 18 preset digital effects, Master controls, independent effects channels, and stylish appearance.

www.carvin.com

Its got the same features as the SWR California Blonde (which I think is the best acoustic amp under 800 bucks), but its 300 bucks less!

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 09-20-2002, 07:46 AM

I've had plenty of luck w/ my fender acoustasonic.sfx.
They cost a little more than what you are looking to spend, but they also have acousasonic jr.'s that cost a little less.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor007
I've had plenty of luck w/ my fender acoustasonic.sfx.
They cost a little more than what you are looking to spend, but they also have acousasonic jr.'s that cost a little less.
*ahem* I, uh, have an acoustasonic 30 for sale. http://www.taylorguitarforum.com/for...&threadid=9285

stuff

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison
Old 09-23-2002, 11:53 AM

Carvin AG100D

It's good for acoustic guitar, vocals, and you can even play bass through it (there's a roll off for the tweeter).

Mine still works, but the effects have pretty much died. Could have been from long hours in direct sun at high volume in 115 degree heat, or the numerous times lawn sprinklers have gone off and soaked it when playing a casual.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:23 PM

Quote:
*ahem* I, uh, have an acoustasonic 30 for sale. http://www.taylorguitarforum.com/fo...=&threadid=9285
I have an acoustasonic 30 that I use for small gigs at coffeehouses as well as at a bible study at church.. The have a real good tone. Check our Hondo's sale..
<><
Old 09-23-2002, 01:03 PM

Ryan, that's good news about the Carvin. The features are tremendous for the price, and I know they make good equipment. However, it's not a name I would have thought of for an acoustic amp. Do you find that the tone is equal to the Cali Blonde or Ultrasound, or does it skew more toward the electric sound?
Old 09-23-2002, 01:40 PM

cpmusic,

To my ears, the Carvin AG100D sounds a bit electric compared to the Ultrasounds. It's definitely not as transparent or neutral sounding but that's not a bad thing. The added coloration in the midrange (that's where I here it) might be preferred depending on your ears, pickups, guitars, etc.

GL
Old 09-23-2002, 02:23 PM

Yorkville AM 100
Old 09-23-2002, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cpmusic
Ryan, that's good news about the Carvin. The features are tremendous for the price, and I know they make good equipment. However, it's not a name I would have thought of for an acoustic amp. Do you find that the tone is equal to the Cali Blonde or Ultrasound, or does it skew more toward the electric sound?
Chris- its sound is quite good (and strong!) I would say its close to the Cali Blonde both in features and tone...

Ive not actually played through the Ultrasound, but Ive heard that its the best acoustic sound...I would guess its a better acoustic sound than either the carvin or the SWR, but the latter two are more loaded with features and power.

That being said, I think mine MAY be for sale...I'm gettin the itch to get somethin new, and I cant afford a guitar Might upgrade to a Genz Benz or a Cali Blonde...probably the Genz, though...

I may end up regretting it, but hey, for 500 new and shipped, the Carvin isnt hard to find again!

I'm looking for 400 shipped for my AG100D...any takers?

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 09-23-2002, 02:43 PM
Tayloresque

Another vote for the Carvin AG100D. Great value for the money. Especially if you're buying used, just make sure you get the latest (Series III -- that's what I have) 'cause the effects are independently assignable to each of the three channels. I don't believe the earlier models were.

Tom
Old 09-23-2002, 05:23 PM

The 85 watt Genz Benz Shenandoah is loaded and can be had for $450 if you shop around.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:11 PM

Dean has a nice aucoustic amp for about $250.00. It's 30 watts I think it is two channels the DA-30-4. After you decide what you want give me a shot at getting a great price for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification