The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-10-2023, 09:51 AM

It's amazing how many complex parts you can play without looking if you actually practice them that way. I started doing this years ago for stage presentation when I noticed how much I liked watching other players who were good at it and with enough work it just gets easier. Such a breakthrough feeling when you can start nailing changes that take you all over the neck.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 06-10-2023, 10:08 AM

I think it's kinda interesting that in this production, where everything is worked out and choreographed to the nth degree, there seems to be 100% No Looking Allowed... except for the lead guitar player.

Couch Standards
Old 06-11-2023, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
There is among singer-songwriters. It can be a huge benefit when you're trying to make and keep a connection with an audience.
Hi Brent
Apparently Mark Knopfler and John Mayer missed the 'note' about that…especially the importance of not looking so-as to connect with the audience.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-11-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Apparently Mark Knopfler and John Mayer missed the 'note' about that…especially the importance of not looking so-as to connect with the audience.
I'm an okay singer and player and a slightly better songwriter and nobody knows me from Adam, so if I want another gig at the same place there are certain things I need to do. But I guess when you play like those two guys and have a bunch of hit records, it's not as big a deal to grab your audience and sell your songs. And as with all General Rules, there are plenty of exceptions. For example, you can tell that on the Lawrence Welk Show, General Rule #1 was "sparkly smile with eyes on the camera at all times." But there's a surprising amount of peek-sneaking going on, even with the red-haired accordion guy.

Couch Standards
Old 06-11-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I think it's kinda interesting that in this production, where everything is worked out and choreographed to the nth degree, there seems to be 100% No Looking Allowed... except for the lead guitar player.
Huh?? You can't tell that at all from this video since no one is on screen all the time and sometimes players looking down actually have their eyes closed. Plenty of looking at the instrument during rhythm playing and
the bassist even. Not the best video example of not looking at the instrument.
Old 06-11-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Huh?? You can't tell that at all from this video since no one is on screen all the time and sometimes players looking down actually have their eyes closed.
I'm saying that based on what the makers of the video seem to want us to see (and not see).

Couch Standards
Old 06-11-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I'm saying that based on what the makers of the video seem to want us to see (and not see).
I guess they should have hidden more of those other shots then. I think what they wanted us to see a band of very confident players and didn't care about what other musicians might see, or as in this case, overlook.

Confident musicians tend to look great on stage and while the audience does appreciate some eye contact and players who look away from their instrument on a regular basis, especially when singing, as long as the show is good they're going to like it.
Old 06-11-2023, 01:11 PM

Ok. And all this has what to do with practising with your eyes closed?
Back in the 70s, the John W. Schaum piano method included a sheet of paper you were supposed to wear like a bib over your head to cover your hands, so you wouldn't look at them when playing.
I like the idea of validating what you are doing with your fingers just by listening a lot.
Old 06-11-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctone View Post
And all this has what to do with practicing with your eyes closed?
Practicing with your eyes closed can free you from the necessity of watching your hands. You can also look around the room instead, but closing your eyes allows you to focus internally on the music, with less distractions, hopefully. 'See' the connection yet?
Old 06-12-2023, 10:09 PM

I used to practice with my eyes closed but then it became such a habit that I had a lot of trouble performing with my eyes open.

One of my favorite singer/songwriters is Townes Van Zandt and many of his live videos show him to appear to be performing with his eyes closed. It wasn't until years later after I read a couple of biographies did I learn that he pretended to have his eyes closed but was actually watching the audience through the cracks in his eyelids. Apparently he played some seedy bars in his early days and learned some survival skills.

After a few years I changed my habits and began practicing not only with my eyes open but also standing up. IMHO practice should be the closest thing to performance as possible so I stand while practicing. Nowadays I can't even write a song while in the seated position.

Believe it or not, it is completely possible to play while not looking at your guitar and keep your eyes open at the same time. I prefer to look out the window.
Old 06-13-2023, 02:21 AM
Charter Member

I suggest to any of my clients that have difficulties making smooth chord changes To practice with eyes closed and/or in a darkened room.

My theory is that it becomes a matter of muscle memory rather than a visual memory.

I was reminded recently by one of my club regulars when playing at my club that I always close my eyes when I take a solo break.

He asked what I "saw" in my mind, and I genuinely find it difficult to explain:
I don't see frets, strings, fingers, or fret markers, and I don't see tablature (ugh!) or notation.

My best answer was that I "see" the notes.

"So .... you "see" the "sounds" ?? "Erm, yup!"
Old 06-13-2023, 06:22 AM

I tried this in a genuine fashion for the first time last night and quickly realized the value of it. I will definitely develop this as a routine going forward!
Old 06-13-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood&wire View Post
Believe it or not, it is completely possible to play while not looking at your guitar and keep your eyes open at the same time. I prefer to look out the window.
I believe you! I do it all the time, except I have to look at the music.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

While I am 4 years into the guitar, am a longtime jazz horn player - 50 plus years on the sax and clarinet. I currently play lead tenor in a 17 piece big band, tenor in a cover band and in occasional ensembles.

In the big band setting, you read charts. So, closing the eyes while practicing with the group is more than a bit unhelpful. That said, when it is time to solo, I close my eyes as I stand. To be sure, many (perhaps most) musicians in this situation keep them open so they can see the changes on the chart. I close my eyes so I can hear them.

When I remember, I do try closing my eyes while playing guitar. And what happens is that I sort of "see" where my fingers are at, in my imagination. I can not help but think that is very useful, if for no other reason that it is builds confidence.

David
Old 06-18-2023, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

I find that I almost involuntarily close my eyes, at least at times, when I am singing. For me, it's part of the concentration that I need to sing at my best. I am thinking about a lot of things when I sing, and I think that closing my eyes eliminates a lot of distractions.

I don't tend to close my eyes when playing an instrumental piece unless it's just putting me to sleep.

When I was first learning to play at age 16, my father, a NASA rocket scientist, was rather unhappy with my obsession with the guitar. To avoid conflicts with him over this, I would go into a storage closet under the eaves on the top floor where the boys' bedroom was, and close the door and play in there, sitting on the floor. It would get warm in there with the light on, so I would turn the light off and play in the dark. Ironically, that helped me develop a little better as a guitar player.

Regarding videos and players watching the camera constantly: I think staring into a video camera looks rather creepy to viewers. When I perform, I only occasionally look at the camera. My own experience is that the best way to perform is to ignore the camera.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write