The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-27-2002, 07:45 PM

Default BRAND NEW OLSON ARRIVED!!!

Can I tell you that this is honestly the greatest sounding guitar that I have every played. I'm not even kidding! It's Redwood top with Old Growth Brazillain Back and sides. Small Jumbo 14 frets, 25.5" string length, non-compensated bridge, bone nut and saddle. 1 3/8" nut width.

Anyway, enough of that - the thing sounds better than anything I've ever played. It has such a perfect response in the midrange, that it doesn't lose anything under the brilliant high end and the marvelous bass range. I think that this is what amazes me so much is the impeccable balance. It has a gentle tone with such wonderful highlights, it's almost as though Jim took a Taylor high end, mellowed it out just a touch, took the midrange from my Larrivee D-09 and brought out the exceptional highlights, and then wove these together with the most incredible baritone response of any small bodied guitar I've ever seen.

The action is exceptional. It lends it self easily to fingerpicking, and you feel as though your fingers are a part of the guitar.

PART II: (correcting several *opps* mistakes)
Yes, of course it's 1 3/4" I also mentioned that the bridge was made of bone, which obviously isn't true, the saddle is. Sorry, I was so excited and I was typing so fast I didn't even go back to check it. Forgive me, I'm just in heaven!!!!! As far as the tone of Redwood, it is a bit warmer than Cedar, but honestly, the word that most comes to mind is BALANCED. More than any of my other guitars, which all have some variation of Spruce (2 Sitka, 1 Engleman) the range of tone across the board is more balanced than anything I've ever played before.

I'm sure this is a combination of the quality of the workmanship as well, but I know that the soundboard of Redwood, combined with old-growth Brazillian gives such a wondefully balanced tone all across the entire spectrum just continues to amaze me. I've played many guitars before that I loved - but none that sound so "complete."

One especially added bonus, Redwood, like Cedar is a softer wood which provides it with a much more open tone than a young spruce or Koa top. It sounds as though it's been played for 20 years, but it's brand new!

Okay, more later! I'll try to get photos, etc if I can.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:05 PM

Sounds really nice, Before I got to the bottom I was thinking 1 3/8 nut Wow must have some slim fingers, Really sounds sweet, Congrats, JW
Old 09-27-2002, 11:21 PM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Wow OBJRA
You got an Olson !!!! Did it come with any literature ? If it did do you think you could send me a photocopy of some of the specs ? Or just send me the guitar and i'll photograph it from every angle ! Especially the one with me playing it!!! hehehehehe no really congrats on having a dream guitar

Ron
Old 09-28-2002, 01:17 AM

Ron, sure can - drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll get you some info. I don't know what you specifically want beyond the specs listed above, but I'd be happy to send you goodies. I probably won't be sending the guitar, but I can send literature!

Jason
Old 09-28-2002, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Where do you live, OBJRA? Maybe we can send a TGF scout over to your place to try out the olsen and ensure that its worthy of being talked about on our forum!

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 09-28-2002, 08:36 AM

Olsons are awesome...congrats on that new guitar.

Larrivee OM40 Rosewood
Larrivee OM40 Mahogany
2011 Taylor 314ce

Yamaha BB Bass, Fender Strats, PRS Zach Myers, Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification