The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-24-2014, 09:19 AM

Default What's the "Martin" of classical guitars?

Is there any classical guitar company with a similar reputation that Martin has for steel string acoustics?
Old 10-24-2014, 10:47 AM

In classical guitar world top luthiers considered as top manufacturers like Martin in steel-string world.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariaS View Post
In classical guitar world top luthiers considered as top manufacturers like Martin in steel-string world.
Martin made some excellent nylon string guitars (not really true classicals, more like folk guitars) in the past. I personally prefer the pre-1970 models 00-16C, 00-18G, 00-18C, 00-28G, 00-28C.

In general the post 1969 models have longer scales and wider nuts if you prefer that.

Others Martins you can look at are the N10, N20 and currently the 000C model.

If you want to stick with the more pure classical design...there are a plethora of builders and retailers who specialize in high quality classical instruments. Here is just one of them Savage Guitars

YouTube Site
Old 10-24-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imc2111 View Post
Is there any classical guitar company with a similar reputation that Martin has for steel string acoustics?
Martin is to steel string as Ramirez is to nylon string

Old 10-25-2014, 03:21 AM

http://www.guitarrasdeluthier.com/es/luthiers

Only a few of them.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Standard View Post

Ramirez is a company that is around over a century so ....
A guitar from the early years of the Ramirez family, late 19 century,is at Metropolitan museum.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:43 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Ha, so we're looking for an over-hyped brand that people will pay anything to own? But seriously, I kid. Ramirez, I suppose, given the mass produced stuff now available at the lower end and the absurdly nice stuff still floating around out there.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:26 AM

I'm partial to 70s-vintage S. Yairis myself, but would love to try a Ramirez one day.
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 10-25-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Standard View Post

I agree. Unless you have the hands of Segovia, a brand new Ramirez is just as difficult to play out of the box as a Martin is.

If you want the Taylor of Classicals (relatively easy to play out of the box), try a Cordoba.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowyote View Post
I agree. Unless you have the hands of Segovia, a brand new Ramirez is just as difficult to play out of the box as a Martin is.

If you want the Taylor of Classicals (relatively easy to play out of the box), try a Cordoba.
+1 to this observation.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 10-25-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
+1 to this observation.
Ditto. I love my Cordoba Orchestra Fusion.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Hmm, well I own a Ramirez 4E and I never had a problem playing it. It has a slimmer neck than my other guitars but that's not a problem at all for me or any classical guitarist who played it.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
Hmm, well I own a Ramirez 4E and I never had a problem playing it. It has a slimmer neck than my other guitars but that's not a problem at all for me or any classical guitarist who played it.
I was only able to find specs on the "4NE" and that one has a 52 mm nut spacing. Do you mean the depth of the neck?

I owned a R1CWE and playing one was like wrangling with the Lion of Nemea. It had a lovely sound, but not much else going for it. I searched for a FL-CWE for a good while, but eventually gave up as no dealers I could find anywhere in America stocked them. Guitar Center doesn't even seem to represent them these days. If you can find one at a local music shop it's usually from the R series, if not just an R1.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
I was only able to find specs on the "4NE" and that one has a 52 mm nut spacing. Do you mean the depth of the neck?

I owned a R1CWE and playing one was like wrangling with the Lion of Nemea. It had a lovely sound, but not much else going for it. I searched for a FL-CWE for a good while, but eventually gave up as no dealers I could find anywhere in America stocked them. Guitar Center doesn't even seem to represent them these days. If you can find one at a local music shop it's usually from the R series, if not just an R1.
I was talking about the neck depth. The 4E has also 52 mm nut spacing. Personally I don't like the R series and from the E I like the 3E and 4E.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:16 AM

Cool What is the "Martin" of classical guitars?

Most (if not all) classical guitars played by well-know guitarists, are luthier made specifically for that artist. However, there are several brands that are "production" models that would sound very good, providing the strings are high quality, and the right tension for your specific guitar.

Ramirez and Cordoba, if they were made in Spain. But some builders have moved their factories for production guitars to other countries, to save money. Only their best are still made in Spain. There are several other brands that measure up well, depending on the bracing design, and the thickness of the soundboard. I have a 2008 Renato Bellucci Concert 640mm scale length, with fan bracing, that has exceptional tone. It's handmade in a small shop in Paraguay. It has an ultra-thin slightly domed cedar top and a Russian made wood marquetry rosette, with solid rosewood b/s. It requires constant monitoring throughout the winter months for both temperature and humidity, as it has no truss rod, and I prefer a lower action of 3mm or less. I use La Bella 900 Series Golden Elite Light strings.

I also own a lattice-braced 650mm classical guitar made by a small production company in China. It has an Engelmann spruce domed soundboard and double-layered domed rosewood b/s. With a sound port, and raised fretboard, and adjustable truss rod, and it's the best sounding classical I own. Go figure!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical