The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2022, 10:38 PM

Default Maurer guitar identification

Hi,

My parents recently found a guitar tucked away in their closet that my grandpa bought in the 70s. I'm having trouble tracking down the exact year and model of this guitar. It measures as a parlor at the lower bout. Any ideas or someone can point me in a direction?
Old 11-27-2022, 10:42 PM

Here are some additional pictures.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:09 PM

Facebook has a Larson Bros (the shop that built that guitar) group. someone there might have some info for you.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:16 AM

You are a very lucky family. Your grandfather knew quality instruments, and probably got a steal on that guitar. Larson made guitars are legendary.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Wow! What a find . Treat it right my friend.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-28-2022, 04:42 PM

Cool guitar! If it's Mahogany back and sides, it's probably a model 489. If it's Oak, it's probably a model 487.

Is is X, ladder or Z braced?
Old 11-28-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdimbach View Post
Hi,

My parents recently found a guitar tucked away in their closet that my grandpa bought in the 70s. I'm having trouble tracking down the exact year and model of this guitar. It measures as a parlor at the lower bout. Any ideas or someone can point me in a direction?
Check out the book The Larsons' Creations by the grandson of Carl Larson, Robert Carl Hartman. I have had the book for a few years now, very high quality photos and information. I have an old pre-war Larson Bros Mandolin, Brazilian rosewood sides and back, Adirondack spruce top, ebony fretboard and bridge.
You have a wonderful guitar, enjoy and pass it on to your grand children.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:30 PM

Some updates on this. I took the guitar to a local shop that had Youtube videos promoting and playing Larson Maurer guitars. The guy told me some things that made me more confused. He said the guitar looked to be a Maurer made before the Larson bros worked there. He then dated it to 1910, which I think everything after 1901 was made by the 2 Brothers so I was confused. He said he knew it was not a Larson because it was put together too nicely and Larson was notorious for being sloppy built guitars. He said it would not be worth the money to fix the slightly loose neck.

The guitar is ladder braced, but it has one of braces towards the bottom that runs diagonal. I read Larson did Z bracing, but I couldn't find any examples of what this looks like (if anyone has an idea).

I just want to satisfy my curiosity about this instrument. It really plays beautifully. It's really cool regardless, just wish I knew what it is!

If I can't figure it out I may just pop the $40 for that Larson book.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:46 PM

The Larson Brothers never worked at Maurer. They made guitars & mandolins from their own shop for Maurer under contract. They did this for a number of other music distributors as well. The brothers acquired the rights to the brands they built for when those companies went out of business.

Last edited by RRuskin; 12-04-2022 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:11 PM

I see, any info on Maurer guitars before the Larsons?
Old 12-03-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdimbach View Post
I see, any info on Maurer guitars before the Larsons?
No but I suspect that your guitar was built by the Larsons because all of the trim is spot on with what they built. My original Larson-built Stahl Style 6 has exactly the same cosmetics. They did not copy from other builders.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
The Larson Brothers never worked at Maurer. They made guitars & mandolins from their own shop for Maurer under contract. They did this for a number of other music distributors as well. The brothers acquired the rights those they built for when those companies went out of business.
This is not true. While they did make guitars for a number of other companies, they owned Maurer! They started as employees in the 1890's and then bought the company in 1900 from Robert Maurer for $2500. Every single Maurer branded guitar made post 1900 was made at the Larsons shop and many before this were made by them when they were Maurer employees.

As for the store saying this is a pre-Larson Maurer, they are just plain wrong. This is a pretty obviously Larson built guitar. Also, unless there are a huge pile of other issues, them telling you it's not worth it to repair is just silly. You've got a wonderful little guitar on your hands. It makes me think they were trying to buy it off of you cheap or something.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:47 AM

Your information is correct according to what I have read in The Larsons' Creations by the grandson of Carl Larson, Robert Carl Hartman. When I had my Larson mandolin looked at by an 'expert' in a store years ago he told me it was probably made by an apprentice in the Martin factory, I learned from a real expert a few years later that it is actually a mandolin made by the Larson Bros. Thanks for your input.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion