The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Default who wants to join a friendly "learn an new song" challenge?

Well I had a lesson yesterday and my teacher had a LOT to say about my little waltz piece. Mostly about adding more emotion/character to the piece and some suggestions on easing some of the transitions. So though I have new stuff to work on I'll be trying to refine it over the next month or so and I'll replace it when there's significant improvement. Still not figured out what's up with soundcloud so I haven't listened to j Doug's piece yet by eventually I'll get it to play!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:20 PM

Default who wants to join a friendly "learn an new song" challenge?

Got Doug's song to play on my phone. Wish I could do that muted base beat- how do you do that? Love the syncopation and the closing lick
Old 04-03-2014, 12:21 PM

I've been hit or miss. Still working on Shady Grove, but not every day. I had been playing it in first position with the open strings, but found a lesson article online that had it in second. Actually works better, but now I'm back to playing it slowly, trying to get my fingers to go where they're supposed to. It's a slow process.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
Got Doug's song to play on my phone. Wish I could do that muted base beat- how do you do that? Love the syncopation and the closing lick
Why thank you! The muted bass beat is all right hand palm muting with the edge of your hand right at the saddle or slightly in front of it.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:01 PM

Old 04-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Haven't heard from you guys in a while. How's it coming along? Care to check in?
I tried to play along with my own rhythm...it is on sound cloud but you will have to search if really interested, I thought it was pretty bad.

First of all, i missed the timing coming in off the harmonics, but thought I could catch up. By the time I got somewhat caught up it accelerated into double time and I stayed lost.

Lots of faking in that version if you seek and find.

Life got in the the way of finishing, but it is still Early Spring, so I have time. Back to the drawing board later.

CK
Old 04-07-2014, 07:57 AM

hey ck, i went searching but couldn't find it. at any rate, there seems like a lot to practice, learn and absorb in that tune so it's no wonder it will take quite a while to get it up to speed.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:58 PM

still practicing. things are pretty close for me, and i usually practice with he recorder on now. i haven't gotten a really good take yet. a few ok takes, so hopefully soon.

i've also been practicing a gordon lightfoot arrangement i created which is easier and coming along well.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Played "Late Winter, Early Spring" solo at an open mic today.

Started with the rhythm and then played the lead. I know I made a bunch of mistakes, but since nobody knew the song, they didn't know if I was out of time or just doing some improv.

One person did remark that she felt she could just close her eyes and float on the breeze while I played this, which I took as a compliment.

But still, back to the practice room!

CK
Old 04-14-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Played "Late Winter, Early Spring" solo at an open mic today.

Started with the rhythm and then played the lead. I know I made a bunch of mistakes, but since nobody knew the song, they didn't know if I was out of time or just doing some improv.

One person did remark that she felt she could just close her eyes and float on the breeze while I played this, which I took as a compliment.

But still, back to the practice room!

CK
ck, i think that's pretty cool that you played "lwes" at an open mic. seems like it would take a lot of guts. thats a great compliment you recieved as well. very encouraging!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:40 AM

Awesome job CK! I can't imagine doing an open mic. Well actually, I can, which is the problem
Old 04-16-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
Well I had a lesson yesterday and my teacher had a LOT to say about my little waltz piece. Mostly about adding more emotion/character to the piece and some suggestions on easing some of the transitions. So though I have new stuff to work on I'll be trying to refine it over the next month or so and I'll replace it when there's significant improvement. Still not figured out what's up with soundcloud so I haven't listened to j Doug's piece yet by eventually I'll get it to play!
i switched soundcloud back to "classic" mode via the tools icon (looks like a gear) in the upper right hand corner and it worked for me in ie9. before that i was using firefox which always worked.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:40 PM

I've almost got my arrangement of "Haul Away Joe" where I want it. Pretty easy really, only three chords (Am, Em, and Dsus2); just settling on a picking pattern now.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:17 PM

i'm still working away at this, it is coming along slowly, but moving in the right direction. i finally got my gordon lightfoot tune recorded, so i feel good about that.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:47 AM

Looking forward to hearing these pieces that are "nearly there" -
will try massaging sound cloud settings because it's really annoying having to get out of it and then reload to get things to play

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write