The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-28-2003, 06:15 PM

Talking Amps again?

Hi gang. I sold [ gave away] my 410Rosewood so I could buy a semi hollowbody electric. My question is what amps are you using that works well with electrics and acoustics? I'm gonna buy one, I'm just not sure how yet . I had an old Fender princeton chorus that worked good. Recommendations? Thanks!
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Guitars, you only get out of it what you put into it

Member #885
Old 07-28-2003, 06:17 PM

my 15 watt marshall works pretty well. and if you havent already bought a hollowbody, might i recommend the Godin Flat Five? Godin makes amazing guitars, i like my LGX better than any les paul ive played.

Edit actually you can get the hollowbody sound from my LGX by using the seymour duncans and the LR Baggs at the same time... its cheaper too
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 07-28-2003, 08:34 PM

I'm a BIG fan of TopHat Amps. It's the best tone I've ever heard. Brian (aka Mr. TopHat) really knows what he's doing and has hit the mark with his amps. I have a Club Royale 2x12 and love it. It's all the amp I need. He has 1x12 CR combos and these cool little 5 watters. The Prince Royale and Portly Cadet (I think). A friend on mine had a Matchless Huricane 15 and ended up buying a Club Royale and the Matchless sat in his house collecting dust. After a few months he sold it and bought a Prince Royale with a 10" speaker. It's a small amp that sounds absolutley huge. Great for recording. Both are really. They are really the most amazing tone machines out there. It's worth checking out.

www.tophatamps.com

I don't know where you live but they're in Southern California. So if you're near there you should call them up and see if you can visit for a while. Or at least find out where you can play a few. Or call Brain up and tell him what you are looking for.

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

-Gil Bailie
Old 07-28-2003, 08:52 PM

Nothing beats the vintage Fender tube amps. They sound awesome. Second to that would be Vox tube amps.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:25 AM
Luthier

Rivera Sedonna is the perfect amp for both if you got the $$$

Woody Boyd
Luthier
"Home of the banjo eating HOG"
Old 07-29-2003, 07:29 AM

I'm absolutely loving my Fender Ultimate Chorus DSP, but without knowing what you're using it for or how much you want to spend, it's tough to say.

I'm running all my acoustics and my Strat through the Fender and I'm extremely pleased with the sound.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:55 PM

James,

Just think of your sale of the 410 RCE a goodwill jesture to a guy for his first Taylor. You don't know how this can redirect my music career! I really do appreciate you selling me this beautiful guitar. I look forward to playing it. I'm sure I could have done worse for my first one. You probably won't even miss it with your other two limiteds. Thanks again. I forgot that I am going on vacation leaving on Sat and comming back on Wednesday. I will get with UPS to make sure I can schedule a pickup after that. I hate that I will have to wait that long. Good luck with your electric. Curt
Old 07-29-2003, 06:47 PM

Curt, according to UPS tracking you should get it friday! For a first Taylor youv'e done well. Your gonna love it! Bummer though, you'll get your guitar and then leave with it sitting at home. Yes, I already miss it. You'll see why with the first couple strums.... I happy, I got what I needed to get the electric I want. Thanks!!!
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Member #885
Old 07-29-2003, 06:50 PM

Oh ya, now I gotta pull a rabbit out of my hat so to speak and try to come up with an amp. Anybody have any experience with Behringer amps?
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Member #885
Old 07-29-2003, 07:20 PM

James-

What electric are you looking at? What types of sounds are you looking for?

IMO, a Gibson ES-335 through a Fender Princeton is nice...

I used to run a Fender '72 Reissue Tele (F-hole type, dual humbuckers) through a Laney VC-30 head and a Mesa Boogie 2x10 cabinet and got a decent Keith Richards HONK, if that's what you're after.

Also, the reissue Fender Bassman 4x10 is cool as is the Fender Blues DeVille.

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...
Old 07-29-2003, 07:48 PM

I'm buying a Guild Starfire IV In sunburst. As far as sound goes I'm still pretty much a strummer but I'm trying to learn a little lead guitar. My old fender princeton chorus had reverb, overdrive and some other stuff I really didnt use then. But for now I would like an amp I can use with my electric and get some differant sounds out of [ play around with/experiment] but will also work with my taylors. This is my first real attempt at playing an electric. I want to get an effects processor somewhere down the road possibly for the fun of it. I dont know, maybe with todays amps thats not needed so much? Thanks for your help.
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Member #885
Old 07-30-2003, 05:37 AM

I use a Cyber twin unless playing straight up electric blues where I use two vibralux amps in sterio.

The cyber twin can be any amp you want it be thougth flavors of historic Fender amps is the strong suite.

I did create a special patch for acoustic guitar which works well with fishman and acceptable for ES guitars. The amp street price is around 1100 there is a nice buy pricey foot controller available although you do not absolutely have to have it . More details if you like you can email me .

As for the entry on Godins. I had an LGX and it was really versatile and they are making two new Godin hollowbodies . One for Jazz and the other a lot like a 335 Gibson. Both seem well made and affordable . I have owned several Gibson 335 s in my old collection and they are good guitars for certain things but personal I do not like the short scale long neck concept . Im a strat man and that says it all.

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 07-30-2003, 04:49 PM

I'm not sure if you are looking into all tube or SS but my Vox Vavletronix AD120 just keeps on amazing me with how real the amp models sound. I can get some really nice sounds with my acoustic guitar especially with the Dumble boutique amp, black-face twin and the 2 tween models. My PRS and Strat sing through these and really excell with the high gain models.

I tried the Cybertwin and all of the Line 6 stuff but there was just no comparison in the sound and feel of the Vox. The Line 6 Vetta is pretty good but really expensive and I'd still take the Vox even if the price were the same. I looked long and hard at the Cybertwin because the guitar player in my wife's band had one and he's 10x the player I am. Stixx is right- the Fender amp models sound great in that thing but I don't think the high gain models are very realistic. It was actually my wife's guitar player who pushed me into the Vox when I took him to try it out. He got bitten hard by the Vox bug as well. The Vox, Marshall, Boogie, Dumble and Fender models sound amazingly real.

That being said, I can't wait for my Ultrasound Amps to ship because no electric guitar amp can compare to them so they'll more than cover my acoustic needs.

<>< Red ><>

814ce
USA Custom Strat (MY BABY! thanks Tommy)
PRS Singlecut (10-top with Paua birds)
Vox AD120
Ultrasound 50-DS?
Female Golden Retriever-Zoe
Male Golden Retriever-Rusty (aka Bad Bad Rusty Brown)
Old 08-01-2003, 09:46 AM

Default James!!

Hey a Guild Starfire IV. Cool, where are you getting the guitar? I see loads of pretty nice III/IVs on ebay, look like nice guitars.

FNG

My Guitars:
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

04 Larrive J-09 Maple
04 Larrivee JV-05-12
04 Larrivee D-50
06 Guild D-50 Bluegrass Special
97 Guild DV-72
97 Guild DV-73
97 Guild Deco Custom Shop
91 Guild Nightbird CU
94 Guild GV-52
06 National Vintage Steel Tricone
Old 08-02-2003, 08:17 PM

I got this on ebay from a guy who was president and part owner of Guild at one time. This is a 1997, beautiful!
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Member #885

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification