The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-02-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I drive a seventeen-year-old 2003 MINI Cooper S and love it. Here's the latest Google picture from low Earth orbit:

Bob
There's a 2005 Mini Cooper S convertible in our garage with decisions to be made. My mother's shared that with kids and grandkids. Approaching age 90 she wants to sell it and I have a child who wants to own it.

My concerns are it is not practical, was unreliable crap when new and still might be a liability in terms of reliability vs my child choosing my newer Japanese make known for reliability. More recently friends with Minis have had bad engines past warranty but before 100,000 miles. It can be fun on cool summer mornings and evenings.

For the topic, I drove "large cars" when I was younger - Kenworths with big Cat and Cummins engines.

Last winter I was finally able to get pickups and SUVs out of my life via a diesel UTV. I'm in the very small group of Americans who think what a lot of people choose to drive is silly. 9 months into it, I really like getting rid of the pickup trucks, having a car, and a minivan.

I'm also pleased with switching to lesser cars and nicer home. Judging by recent closings and listings we'd have a sizable gain selling our house and probably sell it faster than most cars.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:49 AM

My new car is a 2016 Buick LaCrosse. My old car is a 1995 Mercury Sable wagon. My good car is a 1968 Chevrolet Caprice.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 08-02-2020, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
I'm just a curious bloke. No means to do harm.
LeDave, you should understand that these questions are tending to be a bit like information gathering, just sayin,
Old 08-02-2020, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Cash? loans? lease?

Guys, at the risk of hijacking LeDave's interrogations, I've read some comments here about "paid-off"

Car buying has changed since my fist one in 1964, but apart from some small bank loans in the '70s, I've always paid cash (or bank transfer - I bought my Mercedes buy trade in and credit card in 2006), although most car sales places will organise financing for you but I've always thought that it would cost even more than loss of interest/investment.

I understand that in the UK people are "leasing" on three year plans, rather than buying outright.

What are the usual options in the US now ?
Old 08-02-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
LeDave, you should understand that these questions are tending to be a bit like information gathering, just sayin,
Bingo. Definitely demographics information gathering. I don’t buy the “I’m just curious “ line.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:03 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Our daily driver is a 2014 Nissan Murano Platinum. We also have a 2003 Toyota Solara SLE Convertible (like new with only 35k miles) and an all-original 1968 Dodge Polara 500.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7CA7696A-30AA-452C-B33F-6A8B239B2A94.jpg (42.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 5804BC7A-5CD8-45E0-A896-AEB66A2D7611.jpg (55.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 08-02-2020, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I understand that in the UK people are "leasing" on three year plans, rather than buying outright.

Pretty much the same, Andy - you can buy outright, finance over a period of time, or lease, which essentially is a long-term rental.

Or you can take a hybrid approach - my son bought a new Honda yesterday, and financed it, with the intent of paying off the entire amount before the first payment is actually due. He found a really good deal, and would have risked losing it while waiting for the appropriate funds to be moved from one place to another. He’d already had a car sold out from underneath him earlier in the week, so was anxious for that not to happen again.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-02-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Bingo. Definitely demographics information gathering. I don’t buy the “I’m just curious “ line.
From a guy who’s been playing three months....
Old 08-02-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

My guess is that there is an extreme amount of people that lease in the U.S. Here in the midwest there are allot of very large very expensive pick up trucks. I'm talking about around $50,000 worth of vehicle. It's to the point that it's difficult to find a new car ad that isn't advertising for leasing. Last year when I bought my SUV I had to hunt on the internet to find that actual price. Evidently nobody cares I guess. They also offer seven year loans. To me it's crazy as a saving grace for our financial well being has always been to pay cash and live well within our means.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-02-2020, 08:49 AM
Musical minimalist

If you like to drive a new car and don't drive over 10-12k miles a year - leasing is pretty much a no brainer.

In my case, I've leased my last 7-8 cars. I only drive about 7k a year these days, so I buy out the lease right before it runs out and sell the car myself, netting typically 1500 or so over what I owed because of the extreme low miles and near showroom condition. No reason to let the dealer clear a big profit on it.

Also, I've been doing a "one time pay lease" the last couple times (didn't know it existed until a few years ago) It saves you about 15% or so. You just pay for the entire lease up front.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
I think it's kinda' silly to believe he's up to anything nefarious, as if he might be able to wreak havoc on our lives because he knows what cars some guy in England or in Florida drives...
Old 08-02-2020, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
I think it's kinda' silly to believe he's up to anything nefarious, as if he might be able to wreak havoc on our lives because he knows what cars some guy in England or in Florida drives...
And also rather rude to talk about him as if he’s not here.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-02-2020, 09:04 AM

Smile

Sorry for making some of you feel uncomfortable. I will stop with these type of questions. I mean no harm.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:36 AM

I don't drive it every day, but it's sweet:

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide:

Another shot; with an artsy black and white treatment, of the aforementioned 2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide, this time with the inclusion of hot Puerto Rican girlfriend:

Old 08-02-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
Sorry for making some of you feel uncomfortable. I will stop with these type of questions. I mean no harm.
Oh, I wouldn't get too worried about pandering to sensitivities.

Frankly, I don't see a problem with it. We have no problem asking people what their favorite music is, or their favorite movie or favorite sport. Asking us where we live or what we drive isn't a whole lot different. It's not like you're asking for our driver's license numbers.

I say keep 'em comin'...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic