The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Thoughts On Natural Ways to Help Fight COVID-19

* I know big Pharma doesn't care much for natural alternatives for many reasons financially and politically... and that is not the point of this thread because Pharma has done good too. Example; when the overwhelming science proved the health benefits of Fish oil, Pharma companies came out with their Rx'able version.

** Now as a patient of a wonderful physician I've known nearly 30 years, he believes in the science behind some natural approaches such as Argentyn 23, Vitamin C & D, maybe Coconut Oil, Olive Leaf Extract, BHT, Nasal Irrigation with saline and probiotics.

*** I'm no scientist, tho I've educated myself a bit on natural treatments partly through my doctor and extensive research... But my question to my AGF brother-sisterhood is that if any of you are physicians or scientists; what are your thoughts on this subject? I know there are snake-oil things out there, but I'm interested in what may truly help. Would you use for yourself a personal cocktail of proven natural alternatives to help you fight the virus in conjunction with conventional medicine? Have you had success in treating virus's with them? ...maybe you can give us some positive and/or helpful responses/advice.

Thank you for your input & wish you all blessings of good health.

eric
Old 04-05-2020, 05:05 AM

Many treatments are derived from natural sources, so it isn’t as much a matter of the origin, it is that the accepted standard of proof has not been met in many cases. Medical devices and drugs have an established standard that must be met for a given indication and an established procedure for meeting that standard.

To the fish oil example, physicians have latitude when recommending treatments for patients, and fish oil has been commonly endorsed as part of an approach to manage heart disease. The studies are inconclusive but there exists some evidence to its positive affects.

Other “natural” supplements make claims well above what is supported by even rudimentary evidence.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Google coronavirus and flavonoids.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-05-2020, 07:01 AM

Hey Noledog, it's been a while and I just wanted to say Hi and wondering how you're doing? Guessing no gigs but hopefully your Martin and Takamine are still getting attention.

Stay safe and healthy!
Old 04-05-2020, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Staying and being as healthy as possible is most likely the best rout.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-05-2020, 08:20 AM

Most "natural" remedies have no basis either in science or in reality, though there have been things like foxglove, penicillin and others. To show a remedy has an effect there has to be a study where a large group of people is randomly split in half, and half are given the remedy and the other half a placebo (without either the subjects or the testers knowing which is which - called double blinded). Then at the end of a time period an evaluation shows whether there is a statistical difference in the two groups.

Or there can be a retrospective study where an evaluation is made of the people who have used the remedy in the past versus those who have not. In any case, most "natural" remedies have not undergone a study, and seem to merely be available to make money off of gullibility. Just my $0.02.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:10 AM

The only thing I have seen that has any 'proven' effect on corona virus is a peroxide gargle (1%) \ rinse, as peroxide quickly inactivates the virus. As far as your immune status and its dependence on your nutrition and supplements, etc., that is a wild card that is individual to you. Being a 'novel' virus, none of us has ever experienced this infection before. This is but one reason why it is so easy to catch and spread.

Again, the best defense against the corona virus is to limit contact with others, wash your hands, wear a mask in public (gloves are a good idea also) and wash your hands. And oh yeah, if I didn't mention it enough, wash your hands. (and don't touch your face)
Old 04-05-2020, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Google coronavirus and flavonoids.
That looks very interesting, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Noledog, it's been a while and I just wanted to say Hi and wondering how you're doing? Guessing no gigs but hopefully your Martin and Takamine are still getting attention.

Stay safe and healthy!
Hey Dru,

Thanks for reachin' out... Yes schedule has been canceled so I'm doing Facebook live shows to earn some tips/donations. I'm also doing vids for my church as well. The Martin gets some play time but the Tak is what I enjoy most. I take care of my soon to be 93 yr old mom who lives nearby so I have to be extra careful as I get her food etc...

God bless & stay healthy bro,

eric
Old 04-05-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Staying and being as healthy as possible is most likely the best route
In my 66+ years on the planet, I have yet to hear of virtually any health related issue that is not improved by regular exercise, a good diet, ample restful sleep, and reduction of stress.

Having a fit and healthy body certainly does not render one immune from the ravages of disease, but I believe it provides a better chance of taking a serious hit and surviving it. And even if it doesn't, the benefits along the way of feeling better and being more energetic and full of life while you are here, is reason enough.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Anyone think it is best to let a fever run so that your body may kill the virus or take Tylenol or something like it to reduce fever?
Old 04-05-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Anyone think it is best to let a fever run so that your body may kill the virus or take Tylenol or something like it to reduce fever?
Hey Noledog!

ONE THING WE CAN ALL DO THAT IS CHEAP AND EASY AND NO DOCTOR WILL ARGUE WITH: get at least 7-9 hours of sleep per night, and make sure this is quality sleep. There are studies showing lack of adequate sleep can increase the likelihood of infection by 2X to 5X or more. It's also common sense. I'm sure you've also found that when you are sleep deprived, you often fall ill. There's a reason for that. So "boost" your immune system by getting plenty of good, quality sleep. Here's a good explanation of some of the studies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlbM6VVkVZM&t=488s

Based on the known co-morbidities that make CV-19 worse, the following are other things we can all do to reduce the impact if we are infected, and that no doctor will disagree with:
- quit smoking (and avoid bad air, candles indoors, etc)
- reduce or avoid alcohol consumption
- maintain BMI (body mass index) within recommended range, ie, lose weight
- keep blood pressure under control/avoid hypertension, i.e., exercise
- PROBABLY get some sun or vitamin D (but only in recommended daily or weekly doses)

As for anything alternative, there's going to be a LOT of snake oil being sold out there, so be careful!! Since this is a new virus and the medical sciences are adapting as quickly as they can to it, it's best to consult with your medical doctor who will be familiar with your medical history. On the issue of fevers and infections (bacterial and viral), Dr. Campbell, a very balanced English epidemiologist that I've been following since January, has explained some of the recent studies and behind this view, as reflected in an announcement by the French ministry of health. This could make for an informed conversation with your doctor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuWo5lmWuZI&t=7s
Old 04-05-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Simple for me. Eat a whole food, plant-based diet and get your body the nutrients it evolved over countless millennia to use. Since I changed over, and I always ate a “healthy” diet by most people’s standards, I simply don’t get sick. Maybe once a year, very mild. Maybe less. Used to get sick 4-5 times a year with the kids in school. Plenty of studies showing major boosts to ones immune system.

Is it going to keep me from getting Covid-19? Certainly not counting on it, but keeping your body in a state where infections gain little traction seems to me the best holistic answer possible.

https://www.plantbasednews.org/.amp/...ant-based-diet
Old 04-05-2020, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

This is from someone who claims to have a Ph.D. in nutrition. I have no idea how legitimate his ideas are.

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/what-...he-coronavirus
Old 04-05-2020, 08:47 PM

The best defense against sickness, disease and a shortened lifespan is to win the genetic sweepstakes at birth. The rest of it is nothing but wishful thinking and snake oil.
JMHO
Old 04-06-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
The best defense against sickness, disease and a shortened lifespan is to win the genetic sweepstakes at birth. The rest of it is nothing but wishful thinking and snake oil.
JMHO
Certainly, being genetically blessed separates a a precious few.

I guess I’ll just have to take the last part of your post for what it is and that is, it isn’t representative of what is already known and been proven.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic