The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-17-2020, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Back into standard tuning

Trying to learn classical has forced me back to standard. After months of playing in DADGAD and CGDGCD and other related tunings it feels odd to be back in the land of EADGBE.

I had to do it though, all the material out there for learning classical is in standard and there are beginner tunes that I want to conquer.

I haven't really played barre chords in months

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

TBman, I have enjoyed hearing your music using open tunings. In my own experience, I seem to always end up back in standard tuning. It just seems much more practical, especially when interacting with other musicians.

I suppose it comes down to what you want/need to do. Classical music is a beautiful thing, if you have that discipline to really make it sound right. With all those "horizontal" moving lines, it seems (to me) to be much less forgiving than typical fingerstyle seems to be (though one can clearly hear those who put in their dues with fingerstyle such as Larry Pattis, Eric Skye, Doug Young, UKPhil, IslandGuitar, and a few others who grace these forums).

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-17-2020, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Welcome back!
The following tunings are also classical friendly:
DADGBE, EADF#BE. Also, DGDGBE.
(If you get bored! )

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-17-2020, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
TBman, I have enjoyed hearing your music using open tunings. In my own experience, I seem to always end up back in standard tuning. It just seems much more practical, especially when interacting with other musicians.

I suppose it comes down to what you want/need to do. Classical music is a beautiful thing, if you have that discipline to really make it sound right. With all those "horizontal" moving lines, it seems (to me) to be much less forgiving than typical fingerstyle seems to be (though one can clearly hear those who put in their dues with fingerstyle such as Larry Pattis, Eric Skye, Doug Young, UKPhil, IslandGuitar, and a few others who grace these forums).

Tony
Tony, I'm going to give nylon only until I'm 80 to get it right, after that, forget it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Welcome back!
The following tunings are also classical friendly:
DADGBE, EADF#BE. Also, DGDGBE.
(If you get bored! )
Thanks Andre. I'm learning Canon in D right now I don't think I have tried the others, thanks.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:35 AM

If you're hesitant about abandoning open tunings, for classical pieces try tuning to open Em7 add 4. Christopher Parkening uses that a lot.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:20 AM

I'm working both standard and DADf#ad at the moment. Oddly, the classical is in the latter tuning and the steel string in standard. I can go back and forth in about two minutes of retuning so I do. Last week I was playing the classical in standard and got the urge to play it in DADf#ad so I retuned it and began playing Little Martha, plugged and juiced up with reverb. I play a bunch of things in that tuning so I left it there to explore the nylon-electric sound.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Trying to learn classical has forced me back to standard. After months of playing in DADGAD and CGDGCD and other related tunings it feels odd to be back in the land of EADGBE.

I had to do it though, all the material out there for learning classical is in standard and there are beginner tunes that I want to conquer.

I haven't really played barre chords in months
Hi barry

All part of the journey for the curious…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write