The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-21-2019, 07:02 PM

Default Fake finger picking

In the last couple of years I've stopped using a pick. As I get older and my voice has weakened, I find it difficult to hear myself singing when using a pick. Instead of learning to finger pick (cause I'm lazy) I have figured out a way to use my thumb only, down stroking, hitting the root note first then alternately picking out some other notes in the chord and back to the root note. I can hang on a chord and it almost sounds like I'm using my fingers too. I've grown my thumbnail out enough to stroke the strings with just the right combination of flesh and nail to make a pleasing tone. This simplified way of playing has helped my singing and made my overall performance better and more balanced. When I recored myself using this method it actually sounds very closed to finger picking. I may someday start to incorporate my fingers into the act and actually learn to finger pick but for now playing this way seems very satisfying and it feels like I have more control of both my singing and playing.

I was wondering if anyone else plays this way?
Old 09-21-2019, 08:01 PM

I alternate between thumb strumming and finger picking
IMG_2426.jpg
Old 09-21-2019, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-22-2019, 05:59 AM

I don't play that way, but I think it's great that you've developed a technique that suits your style. Congrats!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinda Old View Post
In the last couple of years I've stopped using a pick. As I get older and my voice has weakened, I find it difficult to hear myself singing when using a pick. Instead of learning to finger pick (cause I'm lazy) I have figured out a way to use my thumb only, down stroking, hitting the root note first then alternately picking out some other notes in the chord and back to the root note. I can hang on a chord and it almost sounds like I'm using my fingers too. I've grown my thumbnail out enough to stroke the strings with just the right combination of flesh and nail to make a pleasing tone. This simplified way of playing has helped my singing and made my overall performance better and more balanced. When I recored myself using this method it actually sounds very closed to finger picking. I may someday start to incorporate my fingers into the act and actually learn to finger pick but for now playing this way seems very satisfying and it feels like I have more control of both my singing and playing.

I was wondering if anyone else plays this way?
Hi KO…

First of all, did I miss a law or rule that says we must use picks?

Second, good on you for creating a way to communicate your music. (I'd stop calling it lazy)

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-22-2019, 02:41 PM

I do all kinds of stuff that isn't traditional. It's part of discovering your own thing.

I think you are on the right track. Enjoy the journey.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:58 AM

I agree with the rest of these people. There really isn't one right way. I think as long as you have found something that works for you, and it sounds good to you, and it isn't going to cause some negative issues because of strains, or something like tendonitis, have at it.

I think I personally developed what to a technician, would be a "lazy form" of Travis picking, for a lot of the songs I play. From one bar to the next, I can switch to a basic downward arpeggio, and sometimes, a chord pinch similar to a Jazz Drop 2 voicing, back to a Travis Picked hybrid where I'm not even using the "proper" finger assignment on the high E string in that context, all in the same song. But to me, I'm just moving air around, deciding to give life to that chord the way I feel in that moment. It might appear loosey goosey, but to my ears, it sounds liberated and cool, relaxed and unaffected.

Best,

Sean

Last edited by srick; 09-25-2019 at 06:37 AM. Reason: removed commercial link

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write