The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 PM

Default Good acoustic archtop

I am interested in acoustic archtops. It can have a pickup, but I probably wouldn't use it and I'm only concerned about the acoustic tone. I probably don't want to spend more than $1500.

In terms of the tone I'm looking for, something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYLfBMPuic

Of course I can't play like Julian Lage, and you can't buy a vintage Gibson for $1500, I'm just looking for a reasonable facsimile. I also want to use it for styles other than jazz.

So far I've looked at Eastman 610 and 605 and The Loar has some as well. Anything else I should be looking at, or any used instruments?
Old 02-17-2013, 05:10 AM

You could consider an old Epiphone Archtop at that price range. They sound a little woodier and not as resonant ( at least mine does ).
You would also be buying into some cool vintage vibe.
I sold my Eastman AR605 after I got the 1946 Zenith.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand00028 View Post
You could consider an old Epiphone Archtop at that price range. They sound a little woodier and not as resonant ( at least mine does ).
You would also be buying into some cool vintage vibe.
I sold my Eastman AR605 after I got the 1946 Zenith.
Yes, David Rawlings has proven that a vintage Epiphone archtop can can sound really, really good.

I'm actually intrigued by the idea of getting a really old one. I was a bit surprised to find all sorts of them on ebay and some stores such as Buffalo Brothers carry a whole bunch, some of them for sub $2000 prices. Does anybody have any experience buying from Buffalo brothers? The problem is that there are pictures of many of them, but not soundclips. I care much more how it sounds and plays than how it looks, although I will admit that the vintage vibe is cool.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 AM

I'm sort of looking for what you're after too, but I'm looking for a single PU with good acoustic tone. Still searching (without the financial ability to fund for it... YET) Brand wise: Godin (5th Avenue), Eastman, Ibanez (Artcore), A few Gretschs, D'angelico and also try googling Yunzhi archtops. Due to the lack of choices locally, I haven't been able to try and play any. But I'm seriously considering to order a 'custom' archtop from Yunzhi, for the extra options . Here's a link. Good luck in your search for an archtop, I'll be following this thread closely!

Sorry that I cannot comment on the acoustic sound / tone about the guitars...

Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert

Last edited by zhonsolitario; 02-17-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:16 AM

Godin 5th Ave.? With or without pickup.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thaveseriesp.htm

I've liked the Loar stuff from what I've seen/heard in reviews. It's loud, if that matters.

I have an Ibanez semi-hollow, so I can't really comment on their hollow bodies, but the fit and finish is superb on mine. Great value. They'll all come with pickups.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 AM

It's possible to find Gibson L-30's and L-50's in that range.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 AM

loar LH 600 or 700.

closest you'll get to Julian's sound at about 1k. it may need a little fret and nut work and a good setup out of the box though, mine did.

you might also look vintage...a Gibson L50 is nothing special tone wise, its just a cheap way to get that name on a guitar...id avoid it. old Epi's are great, but something small and affordable like Rawling's guitar will sound nothing like this. the Godins are great, but laminate...also will not sound anything like this, nor have that great volume.

yunzhi and Eastman are x braced...different sound. Nice guitars though.

if you want the best acoustic tone, you want no pickups routed into the top.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 AM

Here's a cool one for the price range you mentioned. They are out there. You just need to spend the time looking and playing.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/epiphone-zenith-1951
Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
loar LH 600 or 700.

closest you'll get to Julian's sound at about 1k. it may need a little fret and nut work and a good setup out of the box though, mine did.

you might also look vintage...a Gibson L50 is nothing special tone wise, its just a cheap way to get that name on a guitar...id avoid it. old Epi's are great, but something small and affordable like Rawling's guitar will sound nothing like this. the Godins are great, but laminate...also will not sound anything like this, nor have that great volume.

Thanks everybody!

Something else I noticed at Buffalo Brother was vintage archtops made at the Gibson factory under different brand names, seem to be much more affordable... 1938 Cromwell G4, 1939 Kalamazoo KG-31 etc... Any thoughts on the quality of those? It actually seems like there are lots of these out there, Gibson even made bodies for National archtops. I must admit, I do find the history of the vintage archtops very interesting.

I've tried a Godin 5th Avenue before and was not too impressed for the reasons you mention. I only played it unplugged, but that was all I was interested in.

Also which do you prefer the Loar Lh600 or 700? I'm checking out some youtube clips and really liking what I'm hearing, the 600 is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper

Last edited by RiloKiley; 02-17-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand00028 View Post
Here's a cool one for the price range you mentioned. They are out there. You just need to spend the time looking and playing.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/epiphone-zenith-1951
Thanks for the heads up! Looking isn't difficult, at least on the internet. The problem is playing them, I don't think Edmonton has any shops with more than 1 or 2 of these, if that many.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post

What he said. Avoid routed pickups as they will kill the resonance of top.

As for Yunzhi's I'm having my 4th built right now. They do have a very modern tone with X bracing and solid carved woods. These cannot be beat for the money as long as you're willing to fix the minor issues of a guitar coming straight from the factory. There are details on how you buy these and pictures of guitars over on the jazz guitar forums.

Now.. if you wanted a purely acoustic instrument you could specify no electronics, 3.25-3.5" depth, parallel bracing or X bracing depending on how you feel about it (they do either), and carved mahogany back/sides. And you can get the nut width you want. These run about $1200-$1300. IMHO, given that these are solid, hand carved wood the only thing comparable in this price range are used Eastmans unless you're going to go the vintage Epi route.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiloKiley View Post
I've tried a Godin 5th Avenue before and was not too impressed for the reasons you mention. I only played it unplugged, but that was all I was interested in.
The Godin certainly isn't an acoustic beast. Wanted to improve the acoustic play of mine and got rid of the plastic bridge. Replaced it with a rosewood bridge which looks better of course and the guitar plays so much better acoustically. Get rid of that plastic.....
Old 02-17-2013, 12:58 PM

I'll also recommend the Epi Zenith though I think the 1951 on Gbase is over priced.

Peter
Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 PM

Hi - I hear you've already taken a look at Eastman guitars, so here's my personal experience in a nutshell. I like the ar805 (ce) which always had a nice acoustic and electric tone, but recently I put a set of PB strings on it and it is much nicer acoustically.

To keep my jazz electric gigging OK on that guitar I just adjusted the pole screws on the pickup to match the magnetic properties of bronze windings and it works great that way.

I have very nice Gibson Archtops around and this thing is much nicer to play and hear.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Rilo,
I have a 1927 Gibson L-5, a bit older than Julians, so I know the sound you're after. It's my primary bottleneck guitar.

You'll have a hard time finding something like that, in that price range, but if you check out some Gibson L-30's, or L-47's, they might fill the bill. They're the combination style with a flat back, often, and an arched top.

Here's some I quickly found on gbase.com

http://www.gbase.com/gear/find?gs=y&...30&tf=1&ti0=13

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops