The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-12-2020, 02:35 PM

I play Old Man live, and I don't have an especially high range. I am lowered-down a full step, but I'm really belting out the high notes in the chorus, as opposed to the falsetto approach (nothing at all wrong with that). That's not a song that lends itself easily to transposing, if you're going to play the opening guitar part very accurately, since it involves some open strings and hammer-ons, at least as I play it.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-14-2020, 02:00 PM

Just for the fun of it I pulled out the 12 string yesterday and gave it a try with falsetto, and as I expected I just can't get the volume with head voice as with regular voice, so instead of singing the high A (i.e. like fifth fret on E string) I prefer to go an octave lower to middle A (i.e. 2nd fret on G string) for the "old". I guess if I used a mic the volume aspect would not be that important, but I only play unamplified and with 12 string I need as much oomph in the voice as possible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write