The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-14-2009, 07:17 AM

Default Chords for country song

I like the old country song, "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You" sang by Red Foley. Late fourties, early fifties. Does anyone know the complete chord progression used on that recording? I have been trying to figure it out, but not very well. I would like to play it with the original chords/progression if possible.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:44 AM

Try this, likely its the same.

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/tabs/aut...love-8224.html

Good luck.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 PM

Thanks Foxden. That is a great site. I just downloaded words and chords which I think are the one's I am looking for. Practice time now if I can get Kitty Wells turned off and out of my mind LOL.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:25 PM

I haven't looked, but check YouTube . Just type in Red Foley and maybe you'll get lucky and see as well as hear the original.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:36 PM

I just checked YouTube, and couldn't find it by Red Foley, but if you type in the song title you'll get lots of hits. I've always done this song as a simple three chord progression (C F G , or D G A ) but listen to a few different people do it and you'll get it easy...Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:51 PM

www.cowpie.com
Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 PM

Classic Country is Major three chords nothing fancy. What you've been given should get it done.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
Classic Country is Major three chords nothing fancy. What you've been given should get it done.
A great quote by Harlan Howard "Country music is three chords and the truth"

It was an interesting observation in Willie Nelson's autobiography which I read years ago. According to Willie when he was first writing songs in Nashville he started working other chords into his progressions taking the lead of other popular music and met with quite a bit of resistence. According to him it was only after the song "Crazy" was recorded by Patsy Cline and was a huge hit that the other writers quit pitching him crap about it. I don't know how much truth there is to that.

http://www.robharmon.net
http://reverbnation.com/robharmon
Old 06-21-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulano View Post
A great quote by Harlan Howard "Country music is three chords and the truth"

It was an interesting observation in Willie Nelson's autobiography which I read years ago. According to Willie when he was first writing songs in Nashville he started working other chords into his progressions taking the lead of other popular music and met with quite a bit of resistence. According to him it was only after the song "Crazy" was recorded by Patsy Cline and was a huge hit that the other writers quit pitching him crap about it. I don't know how much truth there is to that.
And Cash talks about how he only knew a handful of chords (7-8 I believe) and whenever he needed/wanted a different chord he would have to get someone else to play the song for him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write