The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I have enjoyed travel a great deal in years past. But things are different now. I don’t really want to go anywhere until “things settle down”, in one way or another . I’m Tired of dealing with oblivious people, careless people, and people who want to assert their “liberty”. I like my home, love my wife, enjoy my dog, and have a handful of friends and neighbors with whom we share socially distant conversations, drinks, and meals. These people are easy and relaxing to be with, because they value social harmony and they are interpersonally responsive. For now, that is more than enough to keep me feeling content.
Totally agree with you.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
I have this conversation with my wife pretty regularly. We have no vacation plans but I am retiring in Oct. We winter down south and have a place rented on Padre Island in TX for Jan/Feb 2021.

My wife is hesitant to go with the Covid situation. My position is if I'm going to have to shelter in place somewhere I'd rather do it where it's 70F as opposed to 15F. At least we can sit outside, grill, enjoy the weather, drive down to the beach.

We will have to wait for the situation to clarify before we make a final decision.
I would probably steer clear of Padre Island TX right now.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...le/ar-BB17bn79
Old 08-02-2020, 12:03 PM

Don't bother thinking about Hawaii. 14 day quarantine still in effect. Bars and restaurants are closed. Most hotels closed indefinitely. Government keeps pushing reopening back. Currently September 1 but but but county government is saying NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. School are supposed to open around the middle of August...we'll see if that happens. Recently upward spike in the numbers is a concern.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I have enjoyed travel a great deal in years past. But things are different now. I don’t really want to go anywhere until “things settle down”, in one way or another . I’m Tired of dealing with oblivious people, careless people, and people who want to assert their “liberty”. I like my home, love my wife, enjoy my dog, and have a handful of friends and neighbors with whom we share socially distant conversations, drinks, and meals. These people are easy and relaxing to be with, because they value social harmony and they are interpersonally responsive. For now, that is more than enough to keep me feeling content.
Dig it. Best thing I’ve read here in a while.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:19 PM

If you’re thinking of vacationing in Connecticut this year, please be aware that we have jelly fish the size of dinner plates, high taxes, lousy drivers, and maybe a few great white sharks that have migrated from Cape Cod. it’s hot and humid and ICYMI, Lyme Disease is named for Lyme, Connecticut, where it was first identified.

But feel free to come back in 2021 or 2022 after the virus has waned.

Last edited by srick; 08-02-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
If you’re thinking of vacationing in Connecticut this year, please be aware that we have jelly fish the size of dinner plates, high taxes, lousy drivers, and maybe a few great white sharks that have migrated from Cape Cod. it’s hot and humid and ICYMI, Lyme Disease is named for Lyme, Connecticut, where it was first identified.

But feel free to come back in 2021 or 2022 after the virus has waned.
Lots of ticks here too, unfortunately. Have to do a tick check on the body after every hike or walk through bushes to make sure there's none.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'm very fortunate in that I live in a cabin at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains just west of Charlottesville, VA. During the lockdown when my indoor pool was closed down, my escape was to jump into my Mazda MX5 and head down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Right now I'm watching hummingbirds flying frantically around their feeder; deer meander through my wooded neighborhood like they own the place, and multiple squirrels frequent my front deck. We also host the occasional bear so my bird feeders come inside at night, and my trash doesn't go out until "Trash Day" on Friday. In short, I live in what would be considered a vacation destination by many. That said, I'd really like to get down to the beach, but that will have to wait....
Case in point. It's Sunday evening around 6:45. I'm half watching a streamed movie and half surfing the internet. A dark blur out the front door catches my eye, and I look up to see a very large black bear lumbering past my home down the middle of the street. I go out onto my deck as he walks by, and I call to him. He looks back but changes neither his direction nor his speed. Gosh, I love this place....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 08-02-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalton View Post
No - feel free to avoid Lake Superior. 🙂 I live next to the big lake, and there are already way too many annoying tourist pests running around here ruining what little we locals have this summer. And when tourists show up, our COVID rate always spikes.
Trust me on not being with crowds and knowing how to be in a grocery store.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:05 PM

Hey folks, if you wanna talk about vacation spots etc. that's fine. Remember covid it is a banned topic on the AGF so please do not turn this thread into a veiled covid thread regarding vacation sites. I will say that my wife and I have seen each other once in 4 months and we are currently away and I will tell you that and 100% of the people are wearing masks and respecting other people we have not seen anybody not doing so.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic