The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-07-2020, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Default HEY, there's a new email service out there

From the folks at 37signals who created the application Basecamp and wrote the book on remote work, there's a new email app called "Hey". You can try it at hey.com.

This team has created some awesome applications over the years and has done some amazing thinking about how to create easy, simple, private, and secure apps. I read this when I was much younger in my career and it informed my thinking about application development tremendously. I need to read it again. https://basecamp.com/books/getting-real

Anyway, if you're looking for an email provider who doesn't read or sell your data, this is a potentially great option.

Quote:
The privacy of your data — and it is your data, not ours! — is a big deal to us. In this policy, we lay out: what data we collect and why; how your data is handled; and your rights to your data. We promise we never sell your data: never have, never will.
https://hey.com/policies/privacy/

The catch is that it's a paid app. You are not the product, your data is not the product. But for those concerned about privacy, who want some fantastic blocking features, and control over their email, it looks like a great option. It's $99 a year. That's what gmail and others aren't charging you to use your data to build their systems.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:12 PM

Interesting, but US$99 p.a. seems a little expensive. The lower tiered options from Fastmail appear to offer many of the same privacy and security features but start from US$30 p.a.

I'm in the process of removing Google from my life. I prefer DDG for search, use Brave for browsing etc. However, switching from gmail is complicated by the fact that so many of my website login credentials are linked to that account. It will be a tedious and time-consuming process to replace all of those with Fastmail aliases.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyException View Post
Interesting, but US$99 p.a. seems a little expensive. The lower tiered options from Fastmail appear to offer many of the same privacy and security features but start from US$30 p.a.

I'm in the process of removing Google from my life. I prefer DDG for search, use Brave for browsing etc. However, switching from gmail is complicated by the fact that so many of my website login credentials are linked to that account. It will be a tedious and time-consuming process to replace all of those with Fastmail aliases.
It is very expensive. You can get a household subscription to Microsoft 365 for a year for that amount (5 users, email accounts and office suite on multiple devices) The complete Office suite, online storage, etc. no advertising. I'm not here to shill for MS, but just dropping an idea of the amount of alternate value available for that kind of money.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
It is very expensive. You can get a household subscription to Microsoft 365 for a year for that amount (5 users, email accounts and office suite on multiple devices) The complete Office suite, online storage, etc. no advertising. I'm not here to shill for MS, but just dropping an idea of the amount of alternate value available for that kind of money.
Yes, and the Microsoft suite does much more than competitors. I administer Azure/365, G Suite, and other email services for some specialty applications and reasons. I've also been a Basecamp user and site admin.

Microsoft's fast and quality support are strong reasons too.

I also follow Basecamp's leader on the philosophy of work and other matters. I migrated from Basecamp and still use it for some projects. I'd need know more to make such the email switch personally.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:51 AM

Have a look at Proton mail. Very secure and not expensive, in fact they do a free version with restricted features so you can try it. They don't sell your data. Everything encrypted.
I've no connection with them, just a happy customer.
Nick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic