The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-24-2020, 11:05 PM

Default Tips for slowing down

Last night I played at a gathering which I'd been playing at with other people. Kind of an acoustic open mic with a rotating roster of players where groups assemble on the night in a fairly fluid structure, depending on who shows up and what songs are to be played. It is with an audience of about 50 or so, usually - the point is, its fairly informal and I'm quite comfortable with the crowd and players there.

I usually play with others but last night I decided to play an instrumental, solo. I picked an upbeat rag. I always play it too fast in front of people so paused, deliberately took a breath, counted myself in - then still played it WAY too fast....

I listened back today - it's with a local volunteer radio station and they streamed it for a few weeks after - and I was playing it so crazy fast I inwardly cringed hard, although I surprisingly didn't make too many mistakes.

So - anyone have any tips for not speeding? Obviously I need to relax more - I was quite nervous but I'm getting used to that - but maybe some tips or techniques for setting the tempo at the outset.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 02-24-2020, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Warm up a bit.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-25-2020, 12:50 AM

I play at some jams where we will play anything from fast bluegrass to slow ballads. I will sometimes put the metronome app on my phone or the metronome app in onsong on silent and tap my foot to it to "calibrate" myself before starting a slow song. I turn it off before before performing the song.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playguitar View Post
I play at some jams where we will play anything from fast bluegrass to slow ballads. I will sometimes put the metronome app on my phone or the metronome app in onsong on silent and tap my foot to it to "calibrate" myself before starting a slow song. I turn it off before before performing the song.
Hey that's not a bad idea - I'll look into options.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Maton 425 12-string
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 02-25-2020, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Last night I played at a gathering which I'd been playing at with other people. Kind of an acoustic open mic with a rotating roster of players where groups assemble on the night in a fairly fluid structure, depending on who shows up and what songs are to be played. It is with an audience of about 50 or so, usually - the point is, its fairly informal and I'm quite comfortable with the crowd and players there.

I usually play with others but last night I decided to play an instrumental, solo. I picked an upbeat rag. I always play it too fast in front of people so paused, deliberately took a breath, counted myself in - then still played it WAY too fast....

I listened back today - it's with a local volunteer radio station and they streamed it for a few weeks after - and I was playing it so crazy fast I inwardly cringed hard, although I surprisingly didn't make too many mistakes.

So - anyone have any tips for not speeding? Obviously I need to relax more - I was quite nervous but I'm getting used to that - but maybe some tips or techniques for setting the tempo at the outset.
I agree a surreptitious metronome is a good idea if you can arrange it.

Think about the tempo as something you're just sitting back on, that is carrying you - not as something you are driving. The beat is just there all around you, you're just slotting into it.

If necessary, force yourself to play slower than you think is correct - because those nerves are making you think faster, and you have to counteract that subconscious drive.

The analogy I always make in my own mind is one of those drag lifts at ski resorts. If you tense up on one of those, scared you'll fall off - you will fall off. You learn to just sit back on it and let it pull you. Same with music.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Although I used to be a drummer, (with no tempo issues ever reported) I have tended to speed up, especially when doing a three song spot at a folk club or open mic.

I put this down to getting messages from organiser like "can you do two quick ones?" (which really irritates me) and I kinda sends you a message to get on and off as quickly a possible.
Even more irritating when someone else gets up, spends five minutes tuning on stage, mumbling to self, or struggling with electronic gear - pads or phones (which always take far longer than a folder with paper)

That's why I don;t say a number of songs at my club, I say 15 minutes from the time I introduce you.

It's taken years but slowly, my (some) regulars have learnt to be ready when called and have rehearsed their 15 minutes INCLUDING intros and chat. I used to play at a number of village hall concerts organised by a lovely bloke who always dressed and lit the stage and gave us varying allotted times.

Whenever I rang for a spot, he'd give me 50 minutes because he said the audience always enjoyed my stuff and if he said 50 minutes I'd give him 49!

Rambling, sorry, so rehearse that piece. Work out how long it would take, listen to your metronome if necessary and let that time seep in, then get on stage knowing how long it will take, less anxiety, less rush, better performance.
Just a thought.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:21 AM

This sounds so familiar. My trick is to listen to my breathing, and as mentioned by Playguitar, tap my foot to calibrate. Then I get a bass line going and coordinate with my foot. Does it always work? Of course not.

Also, I'll bet that whatever that song is, it may get you out of the starting gate too fast. I do that too, wanting to start my stint with a 'wow'. Maybe start with something slower, or if you really want to start with that song, make it a point of practicing it slowly - always listening to that bass line.

Been there, done that, still doing that!

Rick

PS: The real question is, "You noticed it and it bugged you, but did the audience catch it?" Probably not!
Old 02-25-2020, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
........If necessary, force yourself to play slower than you think is correct - because those nerves are making you think faster, and you have to counteract that subconscious drive.....
I would second this advice. I have a tendency to speed up on up-tempo pieces and nerves played a large part on solo performances. Knowing the music well, always playing slow during practice, learning to relax the whole body can also help.

It can even be possible to take stock during a piece and if really necessary choose a point where the brakes come on. For instance at the start of a section (especially say a repeat of the main theme) slowing up slightly and easing well back on the volume at the same time can add some interest to the piece, as well.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 02-25-2020, 04:13 PM

I have a couple tunes I always play too fast, or often too slow. Deep river Blues for example, the only way I can launch into the right tempo is to sing a few bars in my head at the speed I want, tap my foot to it, then the song rolls out naturally. You might try internally try humming a melody line, get a tap going, then start song. I find I can usually do it in a few seconds so there's no real interruption in front of an audience
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 02-25-2020, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

That's definitely something you want to address - and break the habit. I jammed for the first time with a capable player a few days ago. In his 60's like me, he's got the chops. But he also rushes through everything with a manic, heavy handed strum, all about 20-25% too fast.

I think of two things when he takes off like that:

- Those frantic little windup toy monkeys with clattering cymbals.

- Live bands amped up on Peruvian marching powder trying to play all 20 of their hit songs in a 32-minute show.

It was our first jam, and maybe he was racing ahead to show off his masterful command of chords in any key. "See? See? I know this one too!"

So now, I get to choose...
Do I appoint myself as a de facto "mentor" and tell another player who's also been at it for decades that he's doing it wrong? Maybe gently suggest letting the song breathe a little with some arpeggios, a stately strut and some "space?"

Or do I just throw in my hand and quit jamming there? It's that dysfunctional.

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-25-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
PS: The real question is, "You noticed it and it bugged you, but did the audience catch it?" Probably not!
No, it went down well, actually.
It's a tune I know well (Cincinnati Flow Rag - well, my version at least) and it's pretty upbeat to be sure. But it should have been slower and would have sounded better.
We only get to do one tune each, and the order of artists is pretty ad-hoc so one has to be ready to run on/off at a moments notice which doesn't help....but it's mainly nerves!

For the next one I'm thinking of doing a slow number - definitely don't want to rush this one.
Anyway thanks for the tips everyone, I'll definitely take them on board.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Maton 425 12-string
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 02-25-2020, 07:45 PM

Some metronomes can be set to 'blink' only. So you can position them within eyeshot and check your time.

I'm ol' skool so I use one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/SEIKO-SQ50V-S...2681281&sr=8-1
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 02-29-2020, 09:45 PM

Change your intro. Perhaps have it kind of stop, then you pick it up at the speed you want. That has worked for me before. another thing that has worked. I ply "Alabama Jubilee", both the chorus, which everybody knows, and the verses, which no one knows. I want to start at the verse then surprise everyone on the chorus. Never could start at the right speed for the verse to start. Finally I used the last couple bars of the chorus for the intro - problem solved for me.

I too have had that problem on "Deep River Blues", where I don't use an into. And finally decided to stop worrying as it sounds good no matter what speed I play it. If I start way too sow, I can put a brief hold on the last note first time through, then launch into the second verse at a faster speed and it's sound just like you planned it that way.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:03 AM

Nervousness can cause a player to play too fast. If I listen to the rhythm accompaniment and follow their tempo, I become aware of when I am playing too fast and slow down. And once I slow down I am O.K. for the rest of the tune. When I play at home I use "Band in a Box" quite often. I also have a drum machine. I have metronomes but only use them for a few things. "Band in a Box" is more fun. Like playing with a group that plays whenever I want, whatever I want, however I want - and never makes mistakes.

Last edited by tupper; 03-02-2020 at 09:09 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write