The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-14-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Speaking only for myself...

I can not make good use of lessons multiple times a week. Maybe I'm just a slow learner, but it takes me a week or two to process what was taught during a lesson.
I echo your post....and I would also add that multiple lessons a week are not needed.

Dad, you are being taken for a ride. By the way, how much are you paying for these lessons?
Old 02-14-2020, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

What difference does it make how fast he is improving? Music isn't a race, it's a journey.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su_H. View Post
I echo your post....and I would also add that multiple lessons a week are not needed.

Dad, you are being taken for a ride. By the way, how much are you paying for these lessons?
Hi,

I paid the originator guitar instructor $90/hour. I could have paid him $60/hour but I like to help out musicians and I really like the instructor personally. I can afford the $90/hour rate.

Unfortunately, he got a working gig in Los Angeles so he had to leave. Before leaving, he recommended a good friend of his to teach my son guitar. The new instructor graduated from Berklee school music in 2015. I also like the new instructor on a personal level. I also pay him $90/hour.

I also agree that having three times a week is too much but I want to help out the instructor and I can also afford it. My son really likes to have him around. He is also serving as a mentor to my son.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciesec2006 View Post
Hi,

I paid the originator guitar instructor $90/hour. I could have paid him $60/hour but I like to help out musicians and I really like the instructor personally. I can afford the $90/hour rate.

Unfortunately, he got a working gig in Los Angeles so he had to leave. Before leaving, he recommended a good friend of his to teach my son guitar. The new instructor graduated from Berklee school music in 2015. I also like the new instructor on a personal level. I also pay him $90/hour.

I also agree that having three times a week is too much but I want to help out the instructor and I can also afford it. My son really likes to have him around. He is also serving as a mentor to my son.
It looks like a win - win situation for everyone.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I also like the new instructor on a personal level. I also pay him $90/hour.
Quote:
I also agree that having three times a week is too much but I want to help out the instructor and I can also afford it.
Quote:
The instructor's opinion is that he is doing well. Then again, I don't know for sure because he is getting paid
He is not only getting paid, he is getting paid far more than his usual rate. You're unsure whether to trust his opinion because you're paying him so handsomely, but you created this rod for your own back. You've incentivized him to spend as much time teaching your son as he can, regardless of whether or not this will benefit the boy.

Last edited by Conomor; 02-15-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyException View Post
He is not only getting paid, he is getting paid far more than his usual rate. You're unsure whether to trust his opinion because you're paying him so handsomely, but you created this rod for your own back. You've incentivized him to spend as much time teaching your son as he can, regardless of whether or not this will benefit the boy.

Hi,

thank you for your feedback. I did get a 2nd opinion from another instructor and after watching my son play, he said that the instructor does the right thing.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:02 PM

I had a couple of thoughts reading this thread. First, your son is doing very well with so little time on the instrument, even as an experienced musician. Second, it's not a competition. Pressuring him will not make him love the instrument any more, and I get a strong sense of pressure or expectation from your posts. Third, no one can practice for two hours at a time and benefit from the entire two hours. It's well proven that 20 minutes is the optimum time to "practice" at a time at anything, with a break, change of focus or simply stopping for a rest, then starting again. Finally, the point of playing guitar is not to dramatically improve, as though it was a race, it's to make music - art, if you will - and enjoy, relax, meditate, contemplate. Skill and excellence comes from love of the music, and time on the instrument, measured in years, not weeks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write