The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-25-2019, 03:37 PM

Default Writing the blues

Hi all!

I’m taking the first step into writing a simple 12 bar blues song for my own enjoyment and have a question I hope you can help with.

I will be writing in the Key of A with a simple I-IV-V progression with an alternating bass line.

Where I’m getting confused is what notes do I play? for example if I play the melody using the A major scale over the I chord then move to The V chord do I continue to target notes from the A chord A-C#-E or target notes from the D chord D-F#-G

Hope this makes sense, music theory is not my first language

Thanks
Old 09-25-2019, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

D chord D - F# - A

You could stick to the notes of the triad chord being played. That would be pretty limited and leaves out the chromatic note of the blues scale.
You would frequently want to use the seventh notes of chords and other chromatic notes.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-25-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfoster949 View Post
Hi all!

I’m taking the first step into writing a simple 12 bar blues song for my own enjoyment and have a question I hope you can help with.

I will be writing in the Key of A with a simple I-IV-V progression with an alternating bass line.

Where I’m getting confused is what notes do I play? for example if I play the melody using the A major scale over the I chord then move to The V chord do I continue to target notes from the A chord A-C#-E or target notes from the D chord D-F#-G
Just to clear up a couple of things:
The V chord is E: chord tones E G# B.
D is the IV chord, chord tones D F# A

An alternating bass (thumb) would normally play the roots and 5ths, while the 3rd of the chord (and maybe a doubled root or 5th) would probably appear in the finger patterns - depending on the chord shape you choose. That's in reference to each chord, not the key.

Any other notes - passing melody notes - would come from the key scale, i.e., the notes in the other chords. E.g., on the A chord you might use D or B passing note. On the D chord you might use a C# or E passing note. And so on.

Then again, if you actually want this to sound like blues - and not just be a 12-bar tune in A major - you have to incorporate blue notes. That means b7s on the A and D, so your A pattern could have a G in it, and your D pattern could have a C. (The 7th on the E chord, D, is already in the key.)
The A pattern could also have a C natural as well as C#, but that may be technically more challenging.

You should really check out some blues fingerstyle tunes (like Mississippi John Hurt) or some of Stefan Grossman's lessons.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:53 PM

For a straight ahead blues progression (I - IV - I - I - IV - IV - I - I - V - IV - I - V) the blues scale in A = the notes A - C - D - Eb - E - G - A. I'd avoid the A major scale and instead alternate between the A Blues scale and the F#minor pentatonic on the A chord and the A minor pentatonic on the D and E chords. These are largely personal choices based on what works for me. YMMV.
Beyond that, trial and error experimentation is your best guide. If you record the basic chord progression you can jam along with the playback until you hear licks you like. Even better would be to find someone with whom to jam the progression.
BTW - Hammer-ons, pull-offs and bends are indispensable to the idiom.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Wow! This scares me. I guess I'm ignorant about going about this like the intelligent guys. For a starter I'd use the minor pentatonic scale and use your ears to phrase it and work at it to make sense. Phrase pentatonic scales like a person talking. Shred latter. Good luck.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-25-2019, 07:14 PM

I can't believe no one has mentioned this - flat the third in a blues scale. So your lead breaks will sound better if you play a C instead of C# which is in the straight A major scale. Flagging the seventh (G vs G#) will sound bluesy too.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned this - flat the third in a blues scale. So your lead breaks will sound better if you play a C instead of C# which is in the straight A major scale. Flagging the seventh (G vs G#) will sound bluesy too.
Actually I did mention that.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Wow! This scares me. I guess I'm ignorant about going about this like the intelligent guys. For a starter I'd use the minor pentatonic scale and use your ears to phrase it and work at it to make sense. Phrase pentatonic scales like a person talking. Shred latter. Good luck.
Perfectly good advice! (Well, except the shred maybe )
Old 09-26-2019, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Look up (A) pentatonic scale. You can also have fun and experiment with a C major scale (using A as the root) over an A blues progression. It’s a lot to think about so have fun with it and work on finding the triad of each chord while experimenting. Use chromatic notes (and your ears) to get you to the chord your playing. I think it was Steve howe, the guitar player from YES that said you can use any note you want as long as you land on the right note.

Google is your friend ......look up “Guitar improvising over A blues”. lots of vids and info
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-26-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Actually I did mention that.
So did I!!!
Old 09-26-2019, 11:03 AM

R 3 5 7 9 will work on each chord.

3 on the A, b3 elsewhere. Or slip from b3 to 3 on the A, that'll sound great.

3rds and 7ths are your besties.

Minor pentatonic will work over the whole form, but be careful over the A chord. Nothing yells "hack" to my ears like hanging on a m3 over the I chord in a blues. Even a little bend up towards M3 will make it sing better.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-26-2019, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

This is fun stuff to fool around with.

https://www.freeguitarsource.com/Blu...ues_Scale.html

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write