The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-23-2022, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

I started finger picking when I started playing in the sixties. It wasn’t until recent years when I learned I was supposed to have been using guitars with wider string spacing all this time.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

I have always wanted to build an 6 string electric guitar with a seven string neck and individual saddles to space. Rail pickups. That would give crossover neck width at the nut and bridge.

Someone do this! Should be no more difficult than any partscaster build.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

You might look at an Eastman T386 or T486, nut width is 1-3/4, I have a T386 and I'm, I think, in the same boat as you are. Basically a fingerstyle player who struggles with a narrower nut. These models are an ES-335 style with humbuckers, very well made, fit and finish is excellent.

Here's a good deal on a used T486 that just popped up today, price is very attractive, the kind of deal where it wouldn't be hard to recoup your cost if it didn't fit.

https://www.davesguitar.com/collecti...cts/t486-rd-22
Old 05-23-2022, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Nut's wider, but I understood they left the original string spacing from the 1 11/16 neck.
Though I don't know if that is true or not since I am not an expert on these things, I have verified with a local shop that does quality guitar repairs that they can change the nut and some work to the bridge to take advantage of the wider fretboard. So for me, this isn't a problem.

I will play this guitar for a time and if I feel I need wider string spacing, it will be done. Without the wider fretboard, this would be a problem.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-24-2022, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Though I don't know if that is true or not since I am not an expert on these things, I have verified with a local shop that does quality guitar repairs that they can change the nut and some work to the bridge to take advantage of the wider fretboard. So for me, this isn't a problem.

I will play this guitar for a time and if I feel I need wider string spacing, it will be done. Without the wider fretboard, this would be a problem.

Tony
Just wanted you to know you likely were not getting the full benefit of the wider neck as the guitar came from the factory. If your guy widens spacing at the bridge as well, you might consider a bridge pickup with wider pole spacing so the strings stay over the poles. Fralin, at least, makes these available.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just wanted you to know you likely were not getting the full benefit of the wider neck as the guitar came from the factory. If your guy widens spacing at the bridge as well, you might consider a bridge pickup with wider pole spacing so the strings stay over the poles. Fralin, at least, makes these available.

Anther option is rail pickups. Most of them are wide enough for a classical spacing of bridge saddles and don’t really care exactly where the string is.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

You can order a guitar from G&L's custom shop with a 1-3/4" neck. They call it the Classic Wide C neck (Order Code 4NK).

When I started learning to play an electric guitar recently, I went through the same struggle - going from my 1-3/4" nut acoustics to the narrower electric necks. I searched in vain for an off-the-shelf 1-3/4" electric. Nothing found. And as a neophyte electric player, I wasn't ready to order a custom shop guitar.

After much consideration, I realized I was swimming upstream against a very strong current and decided to just learn to play electrics with a 1-11/16" nut. I want to be able to pick up a normal everyday electric guitar and play it. It's a bit of a struggle in the short term, but one that I think will bring long term benefits. And I'm already feeling much more comfortable playing my electrics, even my Tele with its ever-so-slightly narrower nut (1.650" vs. 1.6875").
Old 05-24-2022, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The wider adjustment will be slight enough that I would think the current pickups would still be fine. If not, I am sure that the folks who do the widening will be able to suggest and install proper pickups, but thanks for the info.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-24-2022, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
You can order a guitar from G&L's custom shop with a 1-3/4" neck. They call it the Classic Wide C neck (Order Code 4NK).

When I started learning to play an electric guitar recently, I went through the same struggle - going from my 1-3/4" nut acoustics to the narrower electric necks. I searched in vain for an off-the-shelf 1-3/4" electric. Nothing found. And as a neophyte electric player, I wasn't ready to order a custom shop guitar.

After much consideration, I realized I was swimming upstream against a very strong current and decided to just learn to play electrics with a 1-11/16" nut. I want to be able to pick up a normal everyday electric guitar and play it. It's a bit of a struggle in the short term, but one that I think will bring long term benefits. And I'm already feeling much more comfortable playing my electrics, even my Tele with its ever-so-slightly narrower nut (1.650" vs. 1.6875").
One of the benefits of being able to do exactly what you describe is that when you go back to your acoustic guitars, your playing will be noticeably cleaner as a result of learning to navigate a narrower string spacing.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-24-2022, 11:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I started finger picking when I started playing in the sixties. It wasn’t until recent years when I learned I was supposed to have been using guitars with wider string spacing all this time.
You're not supposed to use a wider neck to fingerpick, especially if your existing hand & fingers fit a narrow neck.

Plenty of monster fingerpickers over the years have used the narrowest necks ever made, but you know that.

I started fingerpicking in 1969, and realized quite early (1972 actually) that I absolutely needed wider, deeper neck.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 05-25-2022, 07:56 AM

I have been thinking about warmoth necks for a while, but I realized that I already have a perfect guitar.
Since I like wide necks, I have a Yamaha slg 200n with 50mm (1 31/32") nut width.
It was originally with nylon string, but I installed the Classic S KF110 from https://www.thomastik-infeld.com/ and I am planning to install a magnetic pickup like this guys did:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkps8e3Mo4I

Probably I will do installing a Krivo pickup.

It will be a very all arounder: piezo pickup, magnetic pickup, and modelled classical pickup
Old 05-31-2022, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Eyesore - this is available if interested - thanks!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=618245

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 06-02-2022, 12:54 PM

I went to GC a few days ago and tried some electric guitars that were "supposed" have a wider string spacing ;no way! When i got home and picked up any of my acoustics [Larrivees or Martins] it was a different ballgame! I just can't find what I'm looking for to play comfortably;like an acoustic. My fingers are deadening the strings at the nut and it is hard to "dig in" at the bridge to fingerpick.... Guess I 'll stay acoustic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars