The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-26-2018, 09:24 AM

Sounds like you just need to pull up some new songs with different/more difficult skills required to keep your interest and progress at the electric. Acoustic and electric are two totally different animals. Songs that sound great on an acoustic can sound atrocious on an electric if played using the same style.

If you start pulling up some great riff driven R&R like the Kinks or AC/DC I suspect it would reignite the fire a bit.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-26-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Yep, nothing like a good acoustic. Oh, and also, nothing like a good electric with a good amp...Great amp and guitar can benefit from some nice effects, but they are completely optional.

Completely agree. I love listening to others' play with effects. I'm not actually a purist--still just enjoying and learning the gear I have, and I am a slow learner.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:48 PM

learn new things that are you, not little riffs of someone else. write a song, but, above all, twist the knobs on the guitar and amp. it takes time but you'll love it.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-26-2018, 05:15 PM

I'm interested in the new version of the DSL amps, specifically the 20HR. I've read lots of great reviews on the 40HR - congrats on the amp. Les Paul through your DSL probably sounds great.

If you get bored after a few minutes then I doubt that no amount of pedals will help. You gotta have that feeling. I have some pedals on my board but I really just use one - my Soul Food. It's a fantastic OD.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'm interested in the new version of the DSL amps, specifically the 20HR. ...snip...I have some pedals on my board but I really just use one - my Soul Food. It's a fantastic OD.
I highly recommend this amp! As I mention above, I recently picked-up the head version of this amp and I absolutely love it. I am running it through a Peavey 1X12 with a Blue Marvel Classic.

There are several things I really like about this amp:
  • Fantastic clean channel that take pedals beautifully.
  • The on-board digital reverb is quite nice.
  • Sounds great on both the 20 and 10 watt settings. The low power setting is great for bedroom playing, while the 20W setting is plenty loud for just about any gigging venue.
  • The Resonance (bass focus) and Presence (treble focus) knobs are great for optimum equalization. I dime the Resonance with my Tele and the result is wonderful!
  • My acoustics sound really good through this amp's clean channel! (By the way, when playing my acoustics through this amp I'm using a Soul Food with the Drive set to minimum as my preamp. Sounds Great!)

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 07-27-2018, 03:58 PM

Sweet! If I'm not mistaken, that's a Soul Food you have. I use it to boost the gain a little and it does a fantastic job for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
I highly recommend this amp! As I mention above, I recently picked-up the head version of this amp and I absolutely love it. I am running it through a Peavey 1X12 with a Blue Marvel Classic.

There are several things I really like about this amp:
  • Fantastic clean channel that take pedals beautifully.
  • The on-board digital reverb is quite nice.
  • Sounds great on both the 20 and 10 watt settings. The low power setting is great for bedroom playing, while the 20W setting is plenty loud for just about any gigging venue.
  • The Resonance (bass focus) and Presence (treble focus) knobs are great for optimum equalization. I dime the Resonance with my Tele and the result is wonderful!
  • My acoustics sound really good through this amp's clean channel! (By the way, when playing my acoustics through this amp I'm using a Soul Food with the Drive set to minimum as my preamp. Sounds Great!)
Old 07-27-2018, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sweet! If I'm not mistaken, that's a Soul Food you have. I use it to boost the gain a little and it does a fantastic job for me.
Yes! I love my Soul Food. Great as an OD dirt pedal, great as a clean boost after the Hendrix Fuzz Face (sustain for days!), and great as a preamp for my acoustic electrics.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 07-27-2018, 07:22 PM

you probably should try a strat/ tele type guitar before you dump the marshall to be honest about it
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 07-27-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Picked up a Marshall DSL40..
Congratulations on your new amp!

Quote:
..What now???
Like the video title says: No more blues.
Recommend moving on and up to the progressive offspring of blues: fingerstyle jazz.
Good luck!
Old 07-28-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Yes! I love my Soul Food. Great as an OD dirt pedal, great as a clean boost after the Hendrix Fuzz Face (sustain for days!), and great as a preamp for my acoustic electrics.
MXR hit a homerun with the Soul Food. First time I tried it in the guitar shop 2 or 3 years ago I was amazed and bought it. Hard to believe it's so inexpensive.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I've been on an acoustic binge the past two years, and after returning a Boss Katana I picked up a Marshall DSL40CR to pair with my Les Paul Traditional. So, I spent 2 hours last night dialing in a Bonamassa tone when it hit me.....I need a Tubescreamer, delay pedal, and probably more reverb. I start seeing $$$ signs and I just sit back and let out a huge sigh....

This is why I gave up electric a few years ago. The Les Paul is nice, it really is, but I'm already bored with the "rig" and I am just fiddling with knobs and not playing and getting any better. The tone is nice from the DSL, and I did find a nice trick for a killer Bonamassa tone. Ride the tone knobs down, and use the mid position with the bridge volume on 7 and the neck pickup on 3. Totally Bonamassa!

Problem is that I don't really know what to do now? I've dialed in a nice tone and played my 8 or 9 blues licks and I'm just lost. With acoustic, I write songs and play with my daughter while she plays violin. She doesn't even wanna be in the same room with the "noise" haha.

So, I may return the Les Paul and the Marshall and buy another nice Martin....
I have felt the same dissatisfaction with Les Paul clone guitars with effects and resultant lack of interest in learning due to highly compressed sound rather than spacious possibilities. Les Pauls need to be played loudly and push some real air around, even played clean, imo.
PS. The DSL40 is a nice amp; I would pair it with a Strat or Tele for home use.

Last edited by Jaden; 10-02-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Methinks perhaps you are confusing parhaps a need to increase or redirect self motivation, with equipment choices .

It might help to understand that while any new guitar or gear may give an initial boost to interest and motivation, regardless of brand or wether electric or acoustic, is actually a different concept than waning or increasing self motivation.

The concept of continuing self motivation beyond any honeymoon period is in the mind not the gear.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-02-2018, 08:16 AM

I get where your going and I think at some time, we have ALL been there, and we've all gotten close to where we want to be, and other times, failed.

Joe can plug into anything, and just with a cable, amp and guitar, sound like Joe.. He's the only one that will sound like that.

We can get it close, but the only guy who will sound like Bonamassa is Bonamassa.

I would humbly suggest one simple goal. Endeavor to always sound like "you".

Chasing someone else's tone is elusive as it gets. 95% of a players tone, is in their hands. It's almost the same equation for vocals.

I can't sound like "Name anyone" all that great. but I can sound like "me" 100% of the time, and that's where I stay...

vocally and as a guitarist.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the responses guys!

I actually did return the DSL and I bought a Line 6 Helix. I can't tell if that was a mistake yet or not haha! On one hand, it allows me to get solid tone with headphones, but on the other hand, I really think I hate patch building!

Again I'm on the fence. Not really with Helix, but more with electric guitar in general. Too much peripheral that takes my mind off of playing and more on gear.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Thanks for the responses guys!

I actually did return the DSL and I bought a Line 6 Helix. I can't tell if that was a mistake yet or not haha! On one hand, it allows me to get solid tone with headphones, but on the other hand, I really think I hate patch building!

Again I'm on the fence. Not really with Helix, but more with electric guitar in general. Too much peripheral that takes my mind off of playing and more on gear.
I understand the "patch building" thing. It can be a PITA and time consuming.

Sometimes less is more. The KISS method (keep it simple, stupid) works well for me. VERY simple amp and a handful of pedals.

That approach might work for you as well, perhaps. Just great tone as a foundation and avoid gadgets. Keeps your attention on the music and not fidgeting with doodads so much. Just a thought. It works for me.

Then again, electric just may not be your thing. The more I play electric, the more I enjoy it. I hope it goes this way for you too.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars