The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2018, 07:24 PM

My 1970 Yamaha 420-12 is still going strong. No belly bulge or bridge lifting, neck is still straight (not twisted or bowed) and the action is decent for a 12.

Looking to upgrade to a brand new model, with a solid top that will be pretty economical.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
....Fast forward about 30 years, I'm single again, retired and back to my music.....
What could be better?

I seem to have picked up a couple of 12-strings since my last post. Got a tip on a near new Guild New Hartford jumbo F-212XLCE and picked her up. Another great Guild 12er, this one mahogany backed. Its sound doesn't quite stack up to my Corona-built JF30-12, though, which I've got to attribute to the arched, braceless lam maple back, I guess. The 212's top certainly has some nice silking though....

Then I nabbed a couple-year-old Martin GPC12PA4 at a ridiculously low price. Not a jumbo. But a fun little 12-string with a decent tonal output. Excellent finishing by Martin, as usual.

Lots of room for alternate tunings!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-04-2018, 08:16 AM

I've had a yearning for one for years but have not been able to make the room or secure the budget for one. For the past decade or so I've played in church and always thought a nice 12 string would give our little praise band of 3 a "heavenly" tone.

I actually have a 12 string but have never played it. My mother saw an old Epiphone Texan FT-160N (the kind with the tongue in groove electric style bolt on neck joint) up for bidding at an auction and she "won" it for about $100 but when she gifted it to me I noticed right away that it was virtually unplayable. The huge neck block inside had slipped, causing the neck angle to degrade to the point the fretboard extension cantilevered down into the laminated soundboard, warping it badly and making the string action a mile high. What's more is that the bridge was lifting. Based on the checking in the finish I was able to see that the guitar was subjected to some extreme heat stress. Unfortunately, all sales at that auction were final and the guitar has been sitting in its dusty soft shell case in my basement for two years now, never to be repaired because it would cost the same just buying a used Taylor 150e to replace it.

The problem is that I don't like dreads much. I like a slimmer waist so I've been looking at Taylor's offerings from the 254ce DLX to the 458e, which I really like but can't afford without risking my wife's ire; I already have 5 guitars - not counting the Epiphone and three other workbench queens that are unplayable.

That's not to mention that even I don't see spending $2K on a new 12 string as being feasible. The 254ce DLX ticked a lot of boxes in that regard but I found the tone of the GA body a bit lacking and the price a little higher than what I'd be willing to pay for laminated back and sides.

Recently I found something that tempted me a little further - which is not good considering I'm looking at a guitar to play in church. My local shop has a "factory used" Taylor 356ce sitting in its showroom and I gave it a try. For the same price as the 254ce DLX it's ticking a couple more of those boxes. The sound is definitely much fuller even if the back and sides are satin finished - though not as rough as a 150e by a long shot. Money is still an issue though - but then when isn't it?
Old 08-04-2018, 08:44 AM

If y'all want a 12 and without spending too much money, try a Guild F2512. It's effectively a Chinese built plain finish reincarnation of the laminated arch back Guild F-412. The sound is best described as 'Leo Kottke in a box'. I played it beside my son's F1512 and the expensive US built F512. The three guitars sounded very similar in basic sound quality, with the F2512 more jangly and the other two more refined. The F2512 is a lot lighter than the others as it only has one truss rod to the others' two. It does need a setup out of the box, but what doesn't in that price range? If you like the Guild sound and the chunky feel, do try an F1512. There are some good recordings on YouTube.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
The problem is that I don't like dreads much. I like a slimmer waist so I've been looking at Taylor's offerings from the 254ce DLX to the 458e, which I really like but can't afford without risking my wife's ire; I already have 5 guitars - not counting the Epiphone and three other workbench queens that are unplayable.
I'm not a dread fan either, and I don't own one. My guitars are either 000s or concert size, and even though the lower bout on my concert-sized 12 is the same size as a dread, the waist is smaller and I don't feel like the guitar comes up to my chin.

I liked the small Taylor 12s also and ended up getting a Breedlove Studio 12. I haven't regretted it. It has a sweet sound, more shimmer than jangle Not quite as silky as the Taylor, but still very, very nice. The Studio 12 is discontinued but you can still find used ones for sale in the US$700-800 range, and you can get a brand-new Solo Concert 12 about the same price. It might work for you and the sound might give that "angel band" shimmer to your church music.

Gone and not forgotten:
Gibson LG1 (1957 model)
Norman B15 12-string (2003 model)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Fascinating reading everyone’s experiences with a 12 string guitar. Thought I’d add my twist .... started at the tender age of 12 with a mahogany laminate small bodied guitar from Gibson, for a number of years that was it until a friend of mine convinced me to come a NAMM show in Atlanta (he was working in a guitar store). As a result I bought a Gurian SL3 (which I still have) and then he changed stores and invited me to check this local luthier (Ellicott City, MD) who just happened to have a 12 string he had just built .... and I ended up purchasing it which was what started me down that road, suddenly I was splitting my guitar time and then noticing that it continued to shift more and more toward the 12 string. Over the years I have owned at least 30 12 string guitars (most common brands and some not) but never really feeling like I had “the one” (along the way my Gurian was getting less and less time) until, I happened to be in Portland, Or and wandered into Apple Music and met Chuck, who kindly let me play most of the guitars in the store over the next 2 days before asking me. What I was looking for, when I mentioned 12 string he smiled and took me into a back room and handed me a Breedlove (I was not familiar with them at this point) and that was all it took, the next day I was back and working with he and Breedlove we put together what has been my every day, every gig guitar. A custom 12 : smaller cutaway body (C25) with Zircote back and sides, and Port Orford cedar top. I liked it so much that a year later I purchased a maple Masterclass 12 from Breedlove as well. I spend 75% of my time with these 2 instruments, the other 25% is all with a 12 string, but not a guitar, rather it is a D-12 Deering 12 string banjo (from the 1990’s). My two 6 strings sadly get next to no playing time any more (I’m considering selling my original Gurian SL3, if anyone out there is a fan), the other (another Breedlove this time from 1998) is a keeper for backup) ... TRO be honest, I can’t see myself going back to 6 string, I love the fullness and almost orchestral sound, and yeah I play occasional solos (it does take a bit more effort, I also do jazz tunes on it, the Breedlove neck is perfect for it). I’ve tried the larger body 12 strings but have always returned to the smaller bodied 12’s, I like how they handle and the tone is more to my liking. I’m a 12 guy for always!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 08-20-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethewind View Post
I'm not a dread fan either, and I don't own one. My guitars are either 000s or concert size, and even though the lower bout on my concert-sized 12 is the same size as a dread, the waist is smaller and I don't feel like the guitar comes up to my chin.

I liked the small Taylor 12s also and ended up getting a Breedlove Studio 12. I haven't regretted it. It has a sweet sound, more shimmer than jangle Not quite as silky as the Taylor, but still very, very nice. The Studio 12 is discontinued but you can still find used ones for sale in the US$700-800 range, and you can get a brand-new Solo Concert 12 about the same price. It might work for you and the sound might give that "angel band" shimmer to your church music.
Thanks, but I have little opportunity to even try a Breedlove nor am I really in a rush to buy a 12 string. There are too many other things that are demanding my time and money right now!
Old 08-20-2018, 04:17 PM

Had a fabulous 12 once upon a time: a Guild Westerly 212XL. Sold it, and have regretted it for years.

Decided to buy a Guild 1512 last week. It isn't the 21XL, but it is fine guitar for a reasonable amount of money.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

I played the Guild 1512 a couple of weeks ago at Sam Ash. It was like the ''wall of sound''. Wish I could have taken it right then. I think I might treat myself to one for Christmas.

Best of luck with it.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

I’ve always wanted to own a 12 string but have been concerned I wouldn’t use it enough to justify having it. I will admit Leo Kottke is a major component to my desire to own one.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:29 AM

If you have never seriously tried a 12 string, you should do so if your budget allows for it. It will enrich your playing experience.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:41 AM

I recently picked up a Taylor 562ce 12-fret in the Grand Concert body after being too intimidated by 12-string guitars to even want to try one. I couldn't put it down in the music store and was blown away by its ease of play.

The great thing about the purchase is that it truly gave me something different that, obviously, I was getting from any of my other guitars. It doesn't replace anything but gives me a new dimension, and because I am much more mindful of where I hit the strings, I think it is making me a better 6-string player.

I love this guitar, although I haven't had to do a string change yet...
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 08-21-2018, 06:53 AM

Had a Fender 12 string as a teen back in the '70s and though it had great action and played easily, it sounded not so good. I never could find a 12 string with the specs I wanted so after living without one until '96 I had Marc Beneteau (www.beneteauguitars.com) build one incorporating somel of my wants. Deep body, tight waist, spruce/rosewood/ebony, trillium inlay on the headstock, 12 fret (nicer balance on the lap, neck stability), ebony machine head buttons (they're lighter than the Schaller metal ones, improving balance on the lap), shifted X brace (Marc's idea, more or less to accommodate the bridge being shifted back to accommodate the 12 fret design). I wanted a smaller guitar feel with a larger guitar sound but without the boomy bass and strident treble that sometimes plague 12 strings. It's a great guitar, I got what I wanted.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Got a tip on a near new Guild New Hartford jumbo F-212XLCE and picked her up. Another great Guild 12er, this one mahogany backed.
As I said, that Guild F-212XLCE was excellent. It just was not as super excellent as my Guild JF30-12. So when I got a severe case of GAS over the Gibson Songwriter 12 shown below, I needed the 212 for funding, so off it went. The Songwriter is just so gorgeous! It doesn't match the JF30-12 tone either, but that's OK. I'm keeping her!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-21-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
I think Breedlove makes the best 12 String today. I loved the old Guilds as well. I would really try to find a Breedlove. I've heard some Taylor 12 strings I liked but to me the Breedlove's (US Built) are the best sounding and easiest to play. With Breedlove notoriously low re-sale prices you should be able to find one used and not take that first hit.

I don't own a 12 String at this time but have had two Breedlove 12s over that last 25 years...I really miss one of them.

Currently I use a Bowerman 8 string that just has the D and G strings octave and I feel I get the jangle I need with two thirds less effort.
The Breedlove 12 is a nice guitar, and not expensive, either. There are several really good, inexpensive 12 strings out there - all under a grand, and a bunch under $500. Builders have really improved their factories in the last 20+ years when I started playing.

D'Angelico makes the Fulton Premier and Excel
Guild makes the F-1512 and 2512
Yamaha makes the LL16 and FG820-12
Taylor makes the 150e
Seagull - Coastline S12

All of these are well-made, good sounding guitars for not a lot of money.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion