The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-23-2011, 12:06 PM

I would hold out until your budget can handle a used Eastman. Solid woods. Hand carved. Hard to beat....
Old 10-23-2011, 03:03 PM

I have a Harmony Archtone, 1964 vintage. Nice guitar and very cheap. I found mine in a pawnshop but they seem to be fairly common on eBay and other online sites.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Well, they're styled after old Harmonys and the Gibson 125 and such, which were also laminate.

I have to disagree, there's nothing cheap feeling about them if you actually play them. They stay in tine, have excellent fretwork, and intonate well. They're just not encased in a 1/4" of poly like some companies do. Gloss does not equal quality.

Laminate isn't a dirty word in the archtop community.
+1, Mr. Beaumont, on all points.

Another advantage to the Godin and its all-laminate construction - I can leave mine out on a stand through the dryness of a Minnesota winter, and it's not affected in the slightest.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-23-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa View Post
I have a Harmony Archtone, 1964 vintage. Nice guitar and very cheap. I found mine in a pawnshop but they seem to be fairly common on eBay and other online sites.
I thinkk the old harmonys and kays can be great values...just have to try before you buy...when they're in good condition they can be great sounding guitars with plenty of mojo...in bad condition they're an unplayable mess!

My main archtop is a 1959 or 60 Kay Master cutaway. It's an incredible guitar...looks great, sounds even better.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I thinkk the old harmonys and kays can be great values...just have to try before you buy...when they're in good condition they can be great sounding guitars with plenty of mojo...in bad condition they're an unplayable mess!

My main archtop is a 1959 or 60 Kay Master cutaway. It's an incredible guitar...looks great, sounds even better.

I agree. I was surprised how good of shape this one is in. Mostly at this age they are coming apart at the seams and sorely in need of a neck reset.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
I would hold out until your budget can handle a used Eastman. Solid woods. Hand carved. Hard to beat....
+1.
I think this thought will save you money in the long run. Settling for something that will not satisfy you so you then will sell it, lose money, and end up buying somthing better later. Eastmans are great guitars (yes, I own one), very well made, really nice woods, and you can usually find a used one for not much more than a new laminate guitar. BTW, there's a used Eastman 605CE on ebay right now for $895.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 PM

I guess I'm begging the next question ... why would you want it? I dont know if they have a place in my acoustic spectrum...when I think archtop I think Jazz boxes and then I think about plugging into a tube amp and wondering if I can get a similar tone out of my Strat or Tele or chambered Dearmond with bigsby...Acoustically Id wonder what it would have on a good parlour, OO or even an OM...they look cool for sure...sound? Ive tried them but cant think of why I would want one solely for its acoustic properties... by your tag your a Newfoundlander so the Godin has some logic but you've been given great advice on the Chinese Eastman's.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:39 PM

redstrat, judging form your name I'm not surprised that you don't know much about acoustic archtops... no sin in that of course.

I live for archtops. They are my thing. I consider myself a sort of evangelist for acoustic archtops... check my name and open your mind.

There are a bunch of old sound clips of acoustic archtops on my site.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 10-24-2011, 03:48 PM

I think you'd want one because only archtops sound like archtops.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-24-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstrat View Post
sound? Ive tried them but cant think of why I would want one solely for its acoustic properties...
Everyone's entitled to their opinion as far as personal preference- to my own ears, the archtop sound is one of the best. Right now, they're out of favor (this will eventually change) and I don't think a lot of players have any breadth of experience with them. I'd suggest trying a few before forming a hard opinion on them. Even better, if you're ever jamming and tasked with playing a strummy, rhythm'y, punchy accompaniment role, try it with an old Archtop. Bet you don't go back.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstrat View Post
I guess I'm begging the next question ... why would you want it? I dont know if they have a place in my acoustic spectrum...when I think archtop I think Jazz boxes and then I think about plugging into a tube amp and wondering if I can get a similar tone out of my Strat or Tele or chambered Dearmond with bigsby...Acoustically Id wonder what it would have on a good parlour, OO or even an OM...they look cool for sure...sound? Ive tried them but cant think of why I would want one solely for its acoustic properties... by your tag your a Newfoundlander so the Godin has some logic but you've been given great advice on the Chinese Eastman's.
Here's why everyone should want an acoustic archtop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eYIa9ZTCLQ

Of course, it doesn't hurt that it's being played by one of the greatest rhythm players of all time.

And then there's this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo9vX7kZeb4

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Old 10-25-2011, 10:33 AM

Yes... I was pleading ignorance on the issue as I have never in fact owned one, having tried several and Ive always dismissed them as being retro and irrelevant...thanks for opening my eyes on the issue...
Old 10-25-2011, 09:02 PM

Most guitarists have never played a carved acoustic Archie. They have always been the Kings of the guitar world. Certainly the most expensive in a makers line.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
Here's why everyone should want an acoustic archtop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eYIa9ZTCLQ

Jimmy
Yes, this is exactly what an acoustic archtop was meant to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
And then there's this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo9vX7kZeb4

Jimmy
I'm afraid there's a pickup on Frank's carved top... The kind of fluidity and soft tone that we hear is all amplified. There's no chance you could sound that way on a purely acoustic archtop.

Acoustic archtops are great for those jazz pumps. They were meant to be played hard.

I own an L5. It's a fantastic instrument. I can even strum ballads it if I like and play bluegrass on it -- but when a Martin (or any similar guitar) joins the party, we all remember why dreadnoughts took over the world and archtops became art pieces.

Last edited by JoeCharter; 10-25-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNewbie View Post
Yes, this is exactly what an acoustic archtop was meant to do.

I'm afraid there's a pickup on Frank's carved top... The kind of fluidity and soft tone that we hear is all amplified. There's no chance you could sound that way on a purely acoustic archtop.

Acoustic archtops are great for those jazz pumps. They were meant to be played hard.

I own an L5. It's a fantastic instrument. I can even strum ballads it if I like and play bluegrass on it -- but when a Martin (or any similar guitar) joins the party, we all remember why dreadnoughts took over the world and archtops became art pieces.

There is a pickup on Frank's guitar but he is not plugged in on this video.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops