The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin DC-18E Ambertone - Report and video's

I shared this with my forum pal MartinGitDave, but decided it might be worthwhile to share here.

I've had the new Martin DC-18E (w/Baggs Anthem) for 4-5 weeks now and we continue to get acquainted.

When I play this cutaway Martin DC-18e (Ambertone) without comparing to my other Martin Dreads (D-18, Outlaw 17, 2018 D-41) the Cutaway DC-18e is very musical. When I compare it to my D-41, Outlaw or to the D-18 Standard the DC-18e is quieter and not nearly explosive. It takes a little more effort to project. I experimented with only one set of strings since the stock Lifespans started to get a little muted. I have a set of Santa Cruz Mid tension Parabolic strings on it now.

It's balanced and arguably a wonderful instrument. Its not the last word in D-18's but it sure is good. It plays great, looks cool and sounds wonderful.

The demo video's shared below are with the Santa Cruz Mid tension strings. They are virtually brand new and rather pricey, so I'll leave them on for a gig or two (or more). I am itching to swap back to the Martin SP Lifespan 7200 strings. I think the Lifespans have a bit more low end and more low-mid information that make all my Martin Dreads sound a little more 'classic'. Bit Classic-voice aside, it is sounding very good (to me), plays great and I am enjoying it very much. It is a professional grade gigging instrument without question. For my solo and duo performances the cutaway and upper register access for solo's is without parallel.

Bluegrass Rhythm -

It's Too Late Baby -

Blues (Showcases my solo'ing up above 12th fret) Shared this one before but thought it might be helpful to provide live / amplified context

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-21-2018, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

PS: I also compared to my 2018 D-41. Not exactly a fair contest. But tonally, the Martin DC-18E delivers its mahogany voice in a very musical and compelling way.

Not to derail my own thread, I think as GREAT as my D-41 is, the new Martin DC-18E has a wonderful voice.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 08-21-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:06 AM

Hey Gary,

The Baggs Anthem sounds really good, only used Fishman Auras and K&K minis when I was "active", but I would consider an Anthem if I got the itch to perform again. IMHO mahogany is so much easier to amplify live.

Nice playing/singing, keep on keeping on............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-21-2018, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Hey Gary,

The Baggs Anthem sounds really good, only used Fishman Auras and K&K minis when I was "active", but I would consider an Anthem if I got the itch to perform again. IMHO mahogany is so much easier to amplify live.

Nice playing/singing, keep on keeping on............
Thank you very much Rich! It means the world to me when I get constructive feedback from my respected peers. And I give you MUCH respect sir. You know your Martin's as well as knowing your way around professional gigging.

It just occurred to me this morning that as rich and rewarding as my Rosewood and more resonant Martins are, the fundamental slightly more 'lean' delivery I get from a Mahogany dread may very well have the last word when it comes to singing and playing "Live".
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 08-21-2018, 11:18 PM

I think this DC-18e sounds very, very, VERY good. It's the exact tone I think of when I think "Martin". For me, it's close to perfection, honestly. I am not a huge fan of the D-41 sound sample over my headphones, just slightly muddy, but the thing I've learned about Martin rosewood dreadnoughts is, they need to be played to be believed. Only when you sit down with one can you understand the loud, rich, lush complexity they exude, especially as fine an instrument as a D-41, and it makes you go "wow!" I can tell I'd enjoy this D-41 because it has such a deep voicing, and who doesn't love that?!
Old 08-22-2018, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

First of all, GREAT playing and singing! I'm jealous!!

My biggest takeaway was from the last video of the difference between the D-18E and the D41. That is a great video to demo the major and basic tone difference between the classic mahogany 'dry' tone and the rosewood 'wet' tone!
Old 08-22-2018, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
First of all, GREAT playing and singing! I'm jealous!!

My biggest takeaway was from the last video of the difference between the D-18E and the D41. That is a great video to demo the major and basic tone difference between the classic mahogany 'dry' tone and the rosewood 'wet' tone!
Thanks Methos! :-) I agree, the D-41 showcases the properties I associate with a great rosewood back/sides guitar; inherent reverb, harmonic overtones cascading upon one another and lots of sustain. The Mahogany D-18 is more fundamental, drier and even. When playing alone, I get seduced by the ringing, jangle and harmonic magic from the D-41, but when I am singing, I find the fundamental aspect of the D-18 Mahagony gets out of the way and can be more 'supportive'. If that makes sense?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion