The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-20-2018, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Rainsong CH-OM1100NS

As I said in a previous post, I find myself falling in love with Rainsong guitars all over again. While I appreciate their relatively indestructible nature, their tone and playability are equally important qualities. Case in point is my new CH-OM. While I found photos of this model to be a little misleading as to whether the top was gloss or not, I was really pleased to see that it definitely is. My first Rainsong a number of years ago was a Studio model with a sandpapery (about 80 grit) top that I found very unpleasant to play. (The other advantage of the gloss top is it takes a great picture showing off my recent 35 pound weight loss very well.) The back and sides are a nice satiny material. I'll admit that I was initially put off by the blackened look on this model, but it's growing on me. The CH-OM marries the intimacy of a 12-fret neck and the generous tone of an OM body which I find to be very good combination. I was on the fence between getting this model versus special ordering an H-OM1100N2, but an unexpected 15% discount on Reverb sealed the deal. Color me really, really pleased....
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:22 PM

It's good to hear that you're so happy with the new CH-OM (and the gloss finish definitely shows off your svelte new form). I'm wondering about the pickguard that you put on it. Is it a standard one (kind of looks like a Martin 000 size) and where did you get it?

I just got mine back from my tech, with a fresh set of Martin Retros on it. I'm going to wait until later in the week to post my NGD.

Last edited by Long Road Home; 08-21-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:23 PM

Glad you like it, RP. I'm a big fan of Rainsong guitars in general, being an early adopter (2001 WS-1000 still made in Hawaii).
Old 08-20-2018, 03:05 PM
Guest 928

Very nice score!
Old 08-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! The 12-fret OM (then known as a Shorty) was my first carbon fiber guitar. I get the appeal. I like the contrast with the bridge on yours.

Thanks for sharing the images with us.

Enjoy!
Old 08-20-2018, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
...I'm wondering about the pickguard that you put on it. Is it a standard one (kind of looks like a Martin 000 size) and where did you get it?
I dug into my box of guitar stuff, and the pick guard was there. Not sure where I got it, but it's a static cling type. Note the pair of sharks at the 12th fret....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-20-2018, 04:10 PM

Nice buy...it is currently my favorite RainSong.(the one I have, not yours... though I am sure yours is as good or better)
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-20-2018, 07:26 PM

Nice score! I have the shorty(marine burst) and a WS-1000 with the sharks as well. Both great instruments. I really like that they have them new in a more budget friendly price, so more people can discover the joy of CF guitars.
Enjoy that great new addition.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:36 PM

Nice.

The double sharks at the 12th fret is a nice touch. Earlier ones (like my Parlor) didn't have that.

Rainsong's new satin is so much nicer than their old RTF finish.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-20-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Nice.

The double sharks at the 12th fret is a nice touch. Earlier ones (like my Parlor) didn't have that.

Rainsong's new satin is so much nicer than their old RTF finish.
I'm betting you could get the top to satin if you wanted to. Basically take some quality 2X matte spray to fill the fibers on the top until you had a smooth finish you could buff into satin. Personally I really like the look of your Shorty- the rosette really pops against that raw fine texture.

On another note, I've been seriously considering taking mine down to a satin finish from gloss by scuffing the top and doing the same thing I recommended above to fill the micro fissures. The gloss tops look stunning when the unidirectional CF behaves in layering during manufacturing, but mine has non-symmetrical streaking that I've really never been happy with. You have to see it in the right angle and in the right light but it is there and bothers me . I've had people ask what is wrong with the guitar. Not really something desirable in an $1800 instrument but it is "normal" and doesn't affect the performance of the guitar. The gloss tops just magnify what is underneath- whether good bad or ugly. (there was the post recently of a WS CH that was sent back due to a questionable top).

This is not a slam on RainSong. I kept the guitar even though I had the opportunity to send it back for another one but I didn't want to wait another 6-8 weeks for an SGA. The unidirectional tops are my favorite from a tonal standpoint (and also looks wise when they look, well....more.....right, I just don't think mine is one of them).

BTW RP, I Congrats on your NGD- these are sweet guitars for sure!
Old 08-21-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I dug into my box of guitar stuff, and the pick guard was there. Not sure where I got it, but it's a static cling type. Note the pair of sharks at the 12th fret....
Love the 12th fret sharks... nice understated look.. wish they offered this finish/look in the jumbos.... would be glad to pay the same for a more understated looking guitar...
Old 08-21-2018, 02:21 PM

I'm definitely a fan of the CH series also, sort of wish I had a CH-OM like yours instead of my all-gloss Shorty. The satin neck is perfection! Enjoy!
Old 08-21-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I'm betting you could get the top to satin if you wanted to. Basically take some quality 2X matte spray to fill the fibers on the top until you had a smooth finish you could buff into satin. Personally I really like the look of your Shorty- the rosette really pops against that raw fine texture.
Actually the top doesn't bother me a bit. The back and sides are really noisy though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber