The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Treat you baby to a fret dressing, tune up, new saddle and pins and or new tuning machines. Which ever is needed or wanted.
Even a new case if the old one is in bad shape.

Purchase several different sets of strings and see which ones sound best.
Perhaps have a nice pickup installed so you can get different sounds from it.

Enjoy your baby and give it some pampering.
Always a good call!
Old 12-06-2019, 10:50 PM

Well, I went back to the nearest shop after work today. I may be buggared — they had a lovely D28 that I didn’t see up on the wall the last time I was there. It was pretty ... wow.

It’s strange — this whole shopping around kick got started because I was thinking an OM or a Grand Auditorium body might suit my style better than a big ol’ dread. But I’m starting to suspect I’m a dread guy after all, that it may take a dreadnought body for me to feel like a guitar “sounds right.” At any rate, that D28 was something. First time I’d ever played one. Wow.

Came back and spent some quality time with my Yairi, though, and I guess it says something that even after playing a $3k Martin, I liked what I heard.

Sorry for all these long-winded ramblings, y’all. It’s just an interesting (to me) learning process. I’m sure it’s old hat to many of you, but I’m just trying to get my thoughts out to make sense of what I’m discovering about guitars and about myself as a guitar player (not certified, though... )
Old 12-07-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draelyc View Post
Well, I went back to the nearest shop after work today. I may be buggared — they had a lovely D28 that I didn’t see up on the wall the last time I was there. It was pretty ... wow.

It’s strange — this whole shopping around kick got started because I was thinking an OM or a Grand Auditorium body might suit my style better than a big ol’ dread. But I’m starting to suspect I’m a dread guy after all, that it may take a dreadnought body for me to feel like a guitar “sounds right.” At any rate, that D28 was something. First time I’d ever played one. Wow.

Came back and spent some quality time with my Yairi, though, and I guess it says something that even after playing a $3k Martin, I liked what I heard.

Sorry for all these long-winded ramblings, y’all. It’s just an interesting (to me) learning process. I’m sure it’s old hat to many of you, but I’m just trying to get my thoughts out to make sense of what I’m discovering about guitars and about myself as a guitar player (not certified, though... )
Sounds sweet, complex, and clear to me & nice playing - a guitar player at one with a well played in quality instrument - tough to beat that with new in shop, often in adverse conditions - variable string quality, lack of consistent humidity and temperature in a 24hr period (at times).

Somewhere down the road the influence of some past rock stars who amassed some semi-trailer truck sized guitar collections may have corrupted the intimate guitar fidelity practiced by traditional porch pickers across the land ...
Old 12-07-2019, 01:59 PM

What extraordinarily kind words, Jaden — thank you!

Makes me think maybe there a reason (besides $$$) that I’ve only had the one acoustic all thee years. Though I have recently expanded my electric stable to a staggering 4 guitars, so maybe I shouldn’t pay myself on the back too hard ...
Old 12-07-2019, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Those older Yaris are nice guitars and more than worth the price in my opinion. My uncle has a Yari D style from the mid/late eighties that is a joy to play for many of types of music. I would have got one back then but as an undergrad it was that or food for a semester. I haven’t played a new Yari in decades. Wonder if they are still at the same quality.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion