The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 08:48 PM

Default Taylor GC3 or Taylor Academy A12e used for son?

My 15yr old son has been asked to join a worship ban at a local Wed night teen ministry. He took lesson for a couple years but didn't jive with the theory and note reading. He has now been teaching himself fingerstyle since last summer and is doing pretty well. He plays both my 2007 Taylor GC7 and an acoustic/electric Fender that we have.

He wants to get his own guitar and we found a used 20?? Taylor A12e on an auction site that will likely go for between 400 and 500 with tax and shipping. We also found online a used 2012 Taylor GC3 (sapele/spruce solid wood) with no electronics for $650 and we may be able to get that price down some and would drive to pick it up.

He has $300 christmas money to use and will have to come up with the remainder. The plus side for the academy is the armrest cut, price, and the electronics. The plus on the GC3 is obviously solid wood but at the expense of $100-200 premium, and no electronics.

Any opinons to help him decide?

How cheaply could we install some amplification with a used pickup to get him by at the church activities?

Thanks
Todd
Old 12-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

GC3 all the way - no comparison. The GC3 is a serious all solid wood guitar. The academy series is a laminated body student level guitar. There is no comparison.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-05-2019, 09:27 PM
Me

For a pickup, install a K&K pure western mini. It is pretty easy. Rather than buying a used guitar online, I think you guys should go together to find a guitar. It would be a great time for you two and he could learn what he really wants in a guitar.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:45 PM

The GC3 would be much the superior guitar, potentially a keeper. Also if the GC3 includes a hard shell case that would be a clear advantage in regards to transport and storage over the Academy which is sold with a gig bag.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:56 PM
Get off my lawn kid

GC3, no doubt about it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-05-2019, 10:05 PM

I should add that we have gone to the local Taylor dealer and he has played a few in addition to much time on my GC7. We plan to go back tomorrow and see if there is a 312 in sapele to compare to an Academy they have.

Also, I am not sure how a GC3 in sapele differs from my GC7 in cedar/rosewood. Personally I can’t imagine owning anything that compares to the warmth of the cedar with the presence of the rosewood combined with the tiny body that provides such volume with a light touch.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:40 AM

I’m not sure if you need to hear it again, but here it is:
The GC3 is WAY MORE GUITAR than the Academy.

I’d wager that the Academy model, an entry level student guitar by design,
would be replaced somewhere down the road,
whereas the GC is potentially a long term guitar.

Put another way...
He would likely grow out of the Academy,
and yet could grow into (and with) the GC.

Regarding comparing your Taylor 7 with a 3:
The Cedar topped Rosewood 7 is warm and lush, as you well know.
(as do I having played a 714 for many years)
The 3, being Sitka over Sapele, will be noticeably brighter.
They will be different, yet complimentary.. they’ll sound very nice together.

But to your original question, let me say clearly..
I would choose the GC over the Academy without hesitation.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

The GC3 might be with him all his life. Regardless of how nice they are, the Academy series will always have the slight stigma of being at the budget end of the Taylor line. Although it's 'pre-loved', having a K&K installed in the GC3 will make the guitar his own. Happy Christmas.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:19 AM

I had a go on an Academy at my local music shop. It is the only time I've ever pickup up a Taylor and though it looked cheaply made. There is something somewhat unfinished about them. I think it's the complete lack of binding and purfling, the very blonde young-looking wood (basically the colour of a new pine floorboard) and lack of any colour in the finish. I was put off.

I know they're designed to offer everything possible from a playability perspective at a price point and corners had to be cut elsewhere (ie on looks), but I'm shallow and I'd only buy a guitar I really like the look of (has to play and sound good too obviously..).

I would take the GC3 any day of the week.

In terms of cheap amplification, the cheapest and easiest option by far is a soundhole magnetic pickup as the cheaper ones just have a cable that comes out of the soundhole to the amp. Anything else will involve drilling a jackhole in the guitar and either gluing a sensor under the bridge plate or drilling through the saddle to install a piezo. Given this is early days, I'd go with the magnetic soundhole pickup and then if he really gets into it, look at buying a more expensive (and more invasive) option later.

Last edited by RalphH; 12-06-2019 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:06 AM

Why restrict the choices? Just go to a Guitar Center with an open mind, and let the boy play a bunch of guitars acoustically and through one of their amps. There are so many great values out there now. If it needs to be an overnight road trip, then do it. It will be fun.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

I put 3 Academy 12e guitars in use in our worship team, we have a variety of high end electrics, J-45, 314ce, Larrivee L custom, and the Academy 12''s sound/play great. Pickups work like a champ thru our system and other systems at other events. Everybody loves them. They sound as good as any solid wood taylor, and this coming from someone who has owned a dozen or more Taylor's thru the years, 4 series thru a couple 8 series.
The necks are very playable, having 1 11/16 nut width and 2 3/16 string spacing at saddle. Light in weight but tone is very clean/projects. Usually put John Pearse or Martin strings on them.
As one poster mentioned, might be a good idea to go for a playday if you have the chance and let the young man see what works for him.
The Academy series are work horses and are huge bang for the buck.
The current Academy instruments have maple necks, whereas the couple we use are sapele. Not sure if the tonal quality changes with that maple.
Another Taylor that's excellent and can carry it's own amidst any other guitar is the 114. These are rugged and again, play excellent and have nice sound.
Set up is key, the Academy group needed 2 to 3 frets leveled, and nut slots dropped to get a fast, low, buzz free action. Heads up on that. Took me 30 min at most with each one, very minor things. Tuners work smooth and hold as good as any that Taylor uses. Soft case is very high quality and makes a very lightweight portable package.
Might want to consider sweetwater, they have long term 0 interest financing, your son would have time to collect the difference with the 24 or 36 month plan, and you would have a warranty. Sweetwater will drop the price a little if you ask. Consider the Yamaha s also.
Good luck
d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 12-06-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:25 AM

You clearly know exactly what you're doing and are comfortable with a job that I would consider to be too specialized for my local guitar shop, but needing to fret-level a new guitar out of the box would be an absolute non-starter for me. I'm sure it would invalidate the warranty if nothing else.

Last edited by RalphH; 12-06-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:03 AM

Thanks much, all of you for your input. We are asking at the moment to go take a look at this GC3 as it is a bit of a drive. We have been to our local taylor dealer and he has played quite a few guitars. He immediately took to the A12e due to the price and perceived value of sound/playability vs. cost. He totally loves the armrest also. Having said that, he can tell the difference from the the solid wood options he has played too. I laid it all out, and he is concerned with the money difference, but I stressed the temporary vs. forever aspect and he finally said he would like to look at the GC3. We are hitting the taylor dealer again tonight to see if they have a 312 he can try and compare to the A12e.

We looked briefly at some Martins they had in stock, but the E series (i think), with the composite construction just didn't compare to the Taylors. I have to admit, I have drank the Taylor Kool-Aid, and am impressed.

In March we took a spring break trip to San Diego. And my must see item was a tour of the Taylor factory. If any of you ever have the chance, it is a must see location. Truly fascinating and worth it even if we would have had to pay for the tour (it is free).

Thanks again
Todd
Old 12-06-2019, 09:20 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Another vote for the GC over the Academy. The 312 might be even better.

FWIW, if possible, have him try a 214ce, the DLX version if available. It’s a gloss, solid Sitka top with “layered” rosewood back and sides...a very reasonable facsimile of the 814ce in look and wonderful smell of RW emanating from the soundhole. Great tone. The 814 has a 1-3/4” nut, the 214 has 1-11/16” and I have no problem going back and forth between them. I’ve long owned an ‘02 814c since new and bought a 214ceDLX last year and I’m super impressed with it. A used one might be a great buy. Comes with the ES2 and a hard shell case. Mostly, I hope you and your son really enjoy the shopping and buying process.

I’ve made the pilgrimage to El Cajon back around ‘03, even met Bob Taylor as he was walking into the building. Yes, the tour is great.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

You might be interested to know that there is a GC3e (with electronics) currently for sale here on the AGF. The price is a bit more than the one you may be looking at, but that would account for the addition of a pickup and possible need for an external preamp. It sure looks nice! Check it out: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=565557

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion