The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Default GK Pro Blanca vs Maple

By a providential stroke of good fortune I was able to make comparisons between all 3 models of the Córdoba GK Pro: Blanca, Negra, and Maple. All three guitars have solid spruce tops. Coincidentally, all three guitars were built in 2013. I don’t see any information on the Córdoba web page about current availability of the GK Pro with Maple back and sides, so I imagine that it was only available for a limited amount of time. I speculate that maybe they didn’t sell enough Maple GK Pros to justify continuing to build them?

A couple of years ago I also had a 2011 maple Solista cutaway prototype for a few months, until a friend wanted to buy it from me.

To my ears, the Córdoba maple guitars - both the GK Pro and the Solista - have a more “Spanish Guitar” sound than their rosewood siblings, and they also a more “classical guitar” sound than their cypress siblings. So, somewhat of a middle ground. The cypress guitars are lighter than either the maple or the rosewood guitars.

I like the voice of all three guitars.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
By a providential stroke of good fortune I was able to make comparisons between all 3 models of the Córdoba GK Pro: Blanca, Negra, and Maple. All three guitars have solid spruce tops. Coincidentally, all three guitars were built in 2013. I don’t see any information on the Córdoba web page about current availability of the GK Pro with Maple back and sides, so I imagine that it was only available for a limited amount of time. I speculate that maybe they didn’t sell enough Maple GK Pros to justify continuing to build them?

A couple of years ago I also had a 2011 maple Solista cutaway prototype for a few months, until a friend wanted to buy it from me.

To my ears, the Córdoba maple guitars - both the GK Pro and the Solista - have a more “Spanish Guitar” sound than their rosewood siblings, and they also a more “classical guitar” sound than their cypress siblings. So, somewhat of a middle ground. The cypress guitars are lighter than either the maple or the rosewood guitars.

I like the voice of all three guitars.
Very nice man! The only maple Cordoba that I ever played was the 55FCE that I owned. I had it during the same time that I had a 55FCE Limited ziricote and an FCWE. All three were similar, but certainly had their differences. The cypress FCWE was most to my liking, because I was looking for that lively, snappy sizzle. The ziricote was definitely the most "classical" of the three. The best looking by far though!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical