The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-03-2019, 03:43 PM

Default LR Baggs Element (Cort Luxe) - worth replacing?

Not getting along with the piezo in my guitar, the LR Baggs EAS-VTC (Element).

It sounds like nails to my ears.

The acoustic has a adirondack spruce top, TUSQ saddle/nut, ebony fretboard, blackwood sides/back - not exactly a recipe for a warm guitar. I'm thinking that putting a bone saddle might liven things up a bit... but I'm mainly looking at the Element as a big part of the problem since I got this guitar for plugged-in sound.

Then I saw that this pickup is stock in a lot of J-45s, and I know I've played with bandmates who sounded great with DI from their stock J45 into the house.

1. Does the guitar/tonewood actually matter for an under saddle pickup? Will a mic or sound hole p/u sound mediocre since the guitar doesn't sound brilliant acoustically?

2. Is the LR Baggs Anthem or Lyric a good replacement? Or a M80 or M1a?

3. Should I try something totally different? Maton AP5, Fishman Rare Earth?

Ditching the Element and trying an M80 sounds enticing.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:37 AM

Other than the characteristic "quack" of all under saddle piezo pickups the Element VTC is a good pickup, I have one in my Breedlove Roots OM, and it's my preferred stage guitar when I can't use a mic. Careful EQ tames that quack pretty well. I don't think I'd run out and buy another one for a different guitar, but I see no reason to replace the one I already have.

There is no perfect or "best" pickup. The K&K Mini was touted here a few years back, it was all the rage. I have that pickup installed in three guitars, and honestly don't know what the fuss was about. There have been a few "flavors of the month" since then. They all work ... for someone ... and not so much for others.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:27 PM

I'm surprised no one has chimed in "ToneDexter". There is a used one on eBay right now.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-05-2019, 02:19 PM

Hm, I’ve tried EQing in Logic and with my pedals but I still get unpleasant artifacts. I remove the quack but then I just have a pretty lifeless sound.

I was thinking of just moving away from the undersaddles and trying something like the M80.

Tone Dexter looks neat but awfully pricey, and the demos, while good, don’t wow me. Maybe I’ll try this recent zoom a4 pedal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification