The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2019, 06:55 PM

Default knots or claw in book matched back? Thoughts?

Hey, All. Considering pulling the trigger on a Collings OM1JL from Eddies in St Louis. I've often lamented my inability to play such level of guitars here in west Texas, but it is what it is. As such, I have to study the pics a thousand times over. One candidate (they have 5) has a nice wide grained top, and the right nut width I'd like to try. But, it also has a book-matched back with two "knots" in it.
I say knots, but it could just be a bit of claw. Im honestly ignorant as to the cause, and maybe someone more knowledgeable can opine as to what it is by looking at the pic. I think its a no-no to link the guitar here on the forum...
My question is what, if any, concern there is regarding these imperfections? I can't imagine it would affect the tone. Would it put you off in a $5000 guitar?
I'm asking because I truly don't know how to feel about it. Its funny...there was a time I would not even look at the grain of the back. But for this coin, I figured I would ask how you more experienced buyers feel about it. Its serial 29091
Thanks so much
Martin 000-18
GS Mini Hog
Old 01-13-2019, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Well...I'm not the biggest fan of knots, just speaking from an aesthetic view point. I tend to prfer straight grained stuff. This of course is just my personal preference. I wouldn't think it would make any discernable difference on tone though. If the guitar was perfect in every other way (ie, sounded, played, and otherwise looked like I want a guitar to look) then I also wouldn't let it stand in my way!

Memphis
Old 01-13-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Here’s the back of the guitar. Think of these as small character marks and I wouldn’t be concerned in the least. Wood grows and unlike steel, there are irregularities that result during growth. These provide character and IMO beauty. I would not want knots in my guitar either, but these aren’t knots.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 01-13-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:11 PM

It's a straight-grained mahogany back with the slightest of grain irregularity that is matched on each half. If you don't like it, chose another. There isn't much further that can be said about it.

I'll refrain from ranting about the modern obsession with "perfection" when applied to natural materials.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibassham View Post
Hey, All. Considering pulling the trigger on a Collings OM1JL from Eddies in St Louis. I've often lamented my inability to play such level of guitars here in west Texas, but it is what it is. As such, I have to study the pics a thousand times over. One candidate (they have 5) has a nice wide grained top, and the right nut width I'd like to try. But, it also has a book-matched back with two "knots" in it.
I say knots, but it could just be a bit of claw. Im honestly ignorant as to the cause, and maybe someone more knowledgeable can opine as to what it is by looking at the pic. I think its a no-no to link the guitar here on the forum...
My question is what, if any, concern there is regarding these imperfections? I can't imagine it would affect the tone. Would it put you off in a $5000 guitar?
I'm asking because I truly don't know how to feel about it. Its funny...there was a time I would not even look at the grain of the back. But for this coin, I figured I would ask how you more experienced buyers feel about it. Its serial 29091
Thanks so much
They are teeny, tiny little imperfections in the wood...they are not knots. They won't affect tone or structural stability in ANY way, shape, or form.

I kinda like em'...unique character marks...and besides, you will never see them while you are playing...

I'd buy it without hesitation nor reservation...but...I am decidedly not OCD about that kind of stuff.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 01-13-2019, 07:24 PM

I'm trying to remember the the exact quote from Roger Bucknall of Fylde guitars, basically it went along the lines of wood is a natural material how is it that a few irregularities is a flaw when many is considered figuring
Old 01-13-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
It's a straight-grained mahogany back with the slightest of grain irregularity that is matched on each half. If you don't like it, chose another. There isn't much further that can be said about it.

I'll refrain from ranting about the modern obsession with "perfection" when applied to natural materials.
Charles...

Start a new thread, and rant about it a bit about said noted "perfection obsession".

I'm with you all the way!!!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 01-13-2019, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Of the many things Collings is positively obsessive over, wood quality is very likely number one.

Those are indeed structurally inconsequential features, and I agree with others that they lend character.

If that’s all that bothers you about this guitar, I’d say pull the trigger without worry. Then judge it on sound, feel, playability etc. Odds are you’ll love it.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. And thank you Haas for linking the picture.
Didn’t mean to give the impression it was to be form over function for me. That will never be the case. I do enjoy character and uniqueness. Just something I’ve never encountered before.
Martin 000-18
GS Mini Hog
Old 01-13-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibassham View Post
Thanks for the replies. And thank you Haas for linking the picture.
Didn’t mean to give the impression it was to be form over function for me. That will never be the case. I do enjoy character and uniqueness. Just something I’ve never encountered before.
Here’s the back of my custom SCGC. The Cocobolo is straight grained as specified, but has some beautiful character IMO. Notice lower corners on both sides.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Here’s the back of my custom SCGC. The Cocobolo is straight grained as specified, but has some beautiful character IMO. Notice lower corners on both sides.

Lovely, indeed. Thanks for sharing. I just completed the purchase for the OM1JL and couldn't be more excited. Thanks for helping me dot the i's and cross the t's.
Martin 000-18
GS Mini Hog
Old 01-13-2019, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

That is the beauty of wood, no two pieces are exactly the same...or "perfect". These "beauty marks" are in appearance only and add to the uniqueness of this guitar, and in no way will have any affect on tone or structural stability.

While everyone has their personal preferences, I appreciate what nature gives us.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 01-13-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here’s the back of the guitar. Think of these as small character marks and I wouldn’t be concerned in the least. Wood grows and unlike steel, there are irregularities that result during growth. These provide character and IMO beauty. I would not want knots in my guitar either, but these aren’t knots.

Oh wow!! That's not at all what I would characterize as knots! I think that is a BEAUTIFUL set of mahogany! Good on you for the purchase. The guitar is beautiful, and I've read nothing but amazing things with these models. Don't forget...we all love NGD reports! :

Memphis
Old 01-13-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hubba Hubba.....I just drooled over my keyboard
Old 01-13-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis1 View Post
Oh wow!! That's not at all what I would characterize as knots! I think that is a BEAUTIFUL set of mahogany! Good on you for the purchase. The guitar is beautiful, and I've read nothing but amazing things with these models. Don't forget...we all love NGD reports! :

Memphis
Thank you, Memphis. I mainly wanted confirmation that it wouldn’t affect tone or stiffness. I’ve read a lot about claw, but it’s always about the top wood. Couldn’t find anything definitive about the backwood. I figured it was not gonna be an issue, but I’ve learned a lot on this forum so why not confirm?
Martin 000-18
GS Mini Hog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion