The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-07-2019, 01:59 PM
Musical minimalist

Default Keeping it simple....

I've been a big fan of Alto PA equipment over the last few years.....I've found everything I've owned by them to be very nice sounding and well built.

A few weeks back I played at a relatively noisy, large room (cocktail hour at a wedding reception) and had a pair of their TX10's running off the Live 802 mixer. It sounded pretty darn good, but I could "feel" the lower end missing just a tad.

I opted to simplify and sell them, and buy one TS212 when it was on sale before the holidays.

Obviously it won't get as good of lateral coverage, but it definitely sounds much better (a step up in their line as well) and warmer.

All that said, I was very shocked when I just ran my K&K loaded Charis and Mcknight straight in to the TS212 (no mixer) using a Behringer Ultra DI!! I couldn't believe how good it sounded with zero tonal shaping other than the "Contour" button being engaged.

I'm never happy with my guitar sound unless I have a very high quality external condenser running (currently using the sE electronics X1S) with the K&K, but this was almost tolerable!

The experience prompted me to buy a couple of dynamic mics and see how it sounds just direct.

Now that would be simplifying.

I'll post after I get the mics with my experience.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:19 PM

I use a pair of alto TS215's. They sound massive with acoustics.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:47 AM

My current PA is a couple of the TX10s - definitely no bottom end on them. A bass player hooked up a keyboard (his hand was healing!) at one open mic and anything below (guitar) low E fell right off in sound. If anyone comes with a bass, I tell them to bring a small amp or warn them to let me know ahead of time so that I bring one.
From what I understand the 10" speakers have a wider dispersal than 12".

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-08-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
My current PA is a couple of the TX10s - definitely no bottom end on them. A bass player hooked up a keyboard (his hand was healing!) at one open mic and anything below (guitar) low E fell right off in sound. If anyone comes with a bass, I tell them to bring a small amp or warn them to let me know ahead of time so that I bring one.
From what I understand the 10" speakers have a wider dispersal than 12".
The TS310 speakers are a big time upgrade to the TX10, that are discontinued. You can play bass with them.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
The TS310 speakers are a big time upgrade to the TX10, that are discontinued. You can play bass with them.
Yes, I see low end has been improved on those. They also sell for $249 each, got my TX10s last year for $99 each! they also weigh 11 lbs more each. The Alto TX210 is the direct replacement, they are $169 each and the only real difference to the TX10 is the grill that covers the horn.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-09-2019, 08:53 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
got my TX10s last year for $99 each! they also weigh 11 lbs more each.
I got a pair on that deal as well, and they were incredibly light. The original TS110a's had a much nicer voice and were more "beefy" (had a pair of those as well) but the price of the TX's were hard to beat.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:25 AM

I have a TX8 that I use as a monitor and it works great. Decent sound, inexpensive, and light weight. Unfortunately I think it has been discontinued.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 01-11-2019, 10:38 AM
Musical minimalist

Okay - so I spent an hour last night and a half hour or so this morning playing "straight in" with two dynamic mics I just picked up.

I've got to say I'm a bit shocked how natural and transparent the guitar and voice sound with zero alteration straight into the TS212.

Using an Alto DVM5 on vocals and Blue Encore 100i on the guitar and the contour button engaged.

Next step is to use them through the mixer and tweak them. I've been using condensers recently (Blue Encore 200 vocals and sE Electronics X1S on the guitars). I'm almost getting the sense that the separation of signal is better with the dynamics, which makes sense. The mics are only about 18" apart as I sit and play in the classical-ish position.

I'll do that test later tonight.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification