The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 07:49 PM

Played every sinker D-18 Gruhn’s had on hand a couple months ago in Nashville. Didn’t like any of them. They had a used D-18 GE that was way better and cheaper. The GE would be my choice.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
I'd take just about any version of a Martin D-18 over a Pre-War any day of the week. I've only played a couple with sinker Mahogany and wasn't totally blown away by them but they were both very good. None of the Pre-War's I've played have been anything special.
Which Pre-Wars did you play, and do you mind explaining in more detail why you didn't think they were anything special? I have been considering ordering one, but your post gives me pause in case some of the reviews I am seeing about them are over-hyped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJOHNS View Post
Played every sinker D-18 Gruhn’s had on hand a couple months ago in Nashville. Didn’t like any of them. They had a used D-18 GE that was way better and cheaper. The GE would be my choice.
Do you mind explaining a bit more on what you preferred about the tone of the D-18GE over the D-18 (Adirondack / Sinker Mahogany) Customs? What didn't you like about any of them? I had been considering a Sinker Mahogany Martin as well.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:17 PM

I would recommend looking at the Huss & Dalton TD-M's, baked top or standard.

Also, the Bourgeois Banjo Killers I have played are ridiculous. You see a slope shoulder, pick it up and play it, then stop and look down to see what just happened. I have no idea why they went with slope shoulder on those, but they are crazy powerful yet sound amazing when played softly as well. I love the necks, too.

I have played some D18 GE's that were really great, too. I should have bought one that was in a local store a few years ago, but I didn't. I had a reimagined D18 at the time. I should have moved it and got the GE.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Wolf View Post
Which Pre-Wars did you play, and do you mind explaining in more detail why you didn't think they were anything special? I have been considering ordering one, but your post gives me pause in case some of the reviews I am seeing about them are over-hyped.
I've played the D (Adi/Hog) and an OM in Adi/Brazilian. The OM was one of the greatest guitars I've ever played. Loud, powerful, strong bass, and super resonant. The D was just 'okay'. I thought it had way too much bass and womp, not enough mids and highs. I like bass bias (I'm a Martin fan), but the P*W D was too unbalanced.

Oh and you'd better like your necks on the bigger side. I love them but not everyone does. They are sort of full thickness C to V shaped.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-05-2019, 12:19 AM

I picked up this guy from Bob Thompson about 2 months ago. It was #3 for me. I'm more of a D-28 or OM guy, but this scratched the mahogany DN nicely.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Which Pre-Wars did you play, and do you mind explaining in more detail why you didn't think they were anything special?
I should start by saying that I've played a large number of truly special vintage guitars. Many pre war Martins and Gibsons among other things. I have a few friends with serious collections and am friends with several high end dealers on the east coast. I've bought and sold hundereds of guitars and my current main players are a 1927 000-28, a c.1941 Larson Brothers Mahogany Dread, a modern take on a Gibson Roy Smeck with Brazilian Rosewood and over the past two weeks, I've mostly been paying a 50's Harmony H-165. I probably own 50 more guitars. I'm not a cork sniffer and enjoy both new and vintage guitars. High end and bargain bin.

I've played three Pre War guitar company guitars now. Two Mahogany dreads and one Indian Rosewood parlor or maybe 0 sized guitar. All were 14 fretters. I liked the neck carve on all three of them and they all played great. Both of the dreads sounded like someone was trying to copy the sound of a vintage Martin but from a youtube clip, not an actual guitar. The bass was exaggerated and the high end sparkle that should be there just wasn't. They just weren't well balanced tonally and I was kind of shocked after reading all of the good reviews. The little Rosewood one I liked a bit better and it was definitely loud for it's size but again, I thought it wasn't very well balanced across the spectrum. I'll certainly play another one if I see it but after the three I played, I'm certainly not seeking them out.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I would take the Pre*War D over any D-18 Sinker custom, and I would take the D-18 Authentic 1937 over any Pre*War D.

These are my thoughs as well -with martin some models are nice , but paying more to have a rarer wood seems silly - when i buy hog i dont want something thats a bit rosewoody -
Koa is a bit like this -thou its a unique animal
Old 12-05-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Do you mind explaining a bit more on what you preferred about the tone of the D-18GE over the D-18 (Adirondack / Sinker Mahogany) Customs? What didn't you like about any of them? I had been considering a Sinker Mahogany Martin as well.
The sinkers had a brighter ringy tone - almost metallic. It’s hard to explain. The GE sounded like an old vintage D-18. I was all ready to buy a sinker after reading all the great reviews but really just didn’t care for the tone at all. Glad I played them first.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
It's old, long lost mahogany from the tiny Central American country of Sinkerswim that was embedded with magical stardust when Mayan sacrificial victims were floated down the river on the mahogany logs.

Supposedly, the wood has a hallucinogenic effect on all listeners to where they think the guitar player is Clarence White reincarnated, which of course then leads to the lone legal age virgin in the community proposing marriage and her parents offering up a $1 billion dowry if you accept.

Picker beware!!!
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Old 12-05-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russchapman View Post
Agreed.

And to the bigger question: A guitar in hand is worth 1000 online pictures.
You've already sold a (in your statement) very good D-18. That is the "grail" for many/most. Now you want to purchase and/or get opinions on guitars you've never played. Spending more may, or may not, net you a guitar you like more than others you've had. I would spend the time playing as many guitars as you can to find a "keeper". I am a D-18 fanboy and love mine but I also have a Collings D-1 that I NEVER would have bought if I hadn't played it first. To me, even if you have to make a weekend out of going to a location that has a great selection of guitars (like Gruhn) it's worth it to play as many as you can to find one you really love. The money, and time, you would lose from buying and selling a few until you hit on one from the internet is worth it.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
You've already sold a (in your statement) very good D-18. That is the "grail" for many/most. Now you want to purchase and/or get opinions on guitars you've never played. Spending more may, or may not, net you a guitar you like more than others you've had. I would spend the time playing as many guitars as you can to find a "keeper". I am a D-18 fanboy and love mine but I also have a Collings D-1 that I NEVER would have bought if I hadn't played it first. To me, even if you have to make a weekend out of going to a location that has a great selection of guitars (like Gruhn) it's worth it to play as many as you can to find one you really love. The money, and time, you would lose from buying and selling a few until you hit on one from the internet is worth it.
This is very good advice. Me and my buddy call a trip like this a guitar safari! Make a long weekend out of it and go hit some good shops. Play all you can. It’s fun and rewarding.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I've played the D (Adi/Hog) and an OM in Adi/Brazilian. The OM was one of the greatest guitars I've ever played. Loud, powerful, strong bass, and super resonant. The D was just 'okay'. I thought it had way too much bass and womp, not enough mids and highs. I like bass bias (I'm a Martin fan), but the P*W D was too unbalanced.

Oh and you'd better like your necks on the bigger side. I love them but not everyone does. They are sort of full thickness C to V shaped.
I just picked up the 000-28 braz from the classifieds a couple weeks back. It is pretty much as you say, just an insanely great, alive guitar, with a neck that has a fair bit more depth than my OM-28A, a slightly more prominent (but still soft) V.

It's super comfy, but is a bit tricky to navigate above say the 6th fret for my small hands. Not into the relic thing, but jumped on getting something that is closer to a recreation of a pre-war Martin than Martin can offer (ie. as lightly built as an authentic but w/ braz).

I had been thinking about getting a wartime 000-18 for some time now, but instead I may commission a PW 000-18 w/ a 1 11/16" neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion