The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
That's what I do also, and I place the baggie through the sound hole and inside the guitar body.
Wow...scary. I'd never do that as placing the humidification device inside the guitar is courting a small disaster and does nothing better than my setup does to disperse humidity throughout the case. The 2 sponge based ones in my case are at the headstock and at the neck/body join (just enough room for it to fit there).
Old 12-06-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
Yes, I submerge them. Initially I tried just putting them in a container with water and letting them absorb the vapor, but it took forever to recharge them that way. Soaking them gets the job done a whole lot faster, and seems to have no negative effects on the packs so far.

When I remove them from the water I wrap them in paper towels and let them sit out for a couple hours. Once they're dry I put them in an airtight container separated by paper towels, where they stay until I need to use them. It's not fancy but it seems to work well.

I have a few packs that need to be recharged soon. I'll try to get some pics to document my process.
How many times have you done this soaking in water for a given pack?

This strikes me as playing with fire. The other method posted above may take longer, but it’s at least closer to the natural way in which the packs are intended to function.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-06-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Hi, an ongoing question, and one which has affected my instruments more than ever in 2017, when I was too ill to properly monitor them.

Most of this year my house has been in the 50% rh, and my guitars have been very happy.

I have tried the waterbeads in soap dishes - and could still improve on my faulted designs. I bought the D'addario sound hole humidifier that hangs from the strings inside the soundhole - and also the Music Nomad version which , I've decided is more substantial, so am currently awaiting the delivery of a bunch of them for this winter.

I guess it is a matter of trial/testing, and careful monitoring.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:42 PM

I use the boveda packs and they work absolutely perfectly here...

I haven’t decided if I will bother recharge them given that it is technically against the manufacturer’s recommendation. If I did I would probably only do it once, and I certainly would never dunk them in water...that’s just me...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-06-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
The Herco clay packs are by fare the easiest and most reliable humidifier I have ever used. You over fill them with water for 5 minutes. After the first soak all you have do do is sprinkle a little water in them 1 or 2 times a month depending on the conditions. The trick is always use filtered or bottle water and never ever use tap water. My cases are always 46-52% year round.

Assuming your not using a super cheap gig bag that does not hold in humidity putting humidifiers inside guitars has almost no upside. In extremely rare cases when ultra plush lid fabric will block the sound hole you may require a pack inside your guitar. Thats it. The craze about sound hole humidification is just a fad. Thats not how humidity works. Thats not how it is distributed through the space inside the case and your guitar. There is not one spec of science around it. All you are doing is risking damage to your guitar. Putting moisture rich devices inside a guitar is the LAST place you want one statistically.
OK, I'll bite. You don't like humidifiers inside the guitar. OK then, where do you put them? How do you know the air circulation inside a closed case is sufficient to get to the body? Personally, I have little concern about keeping the headstock or even the neck to the right humidity. They are relatively thick and stout and do not crack nearly as easily as the body.

Thanks for the mention of Hercos. I have not heard of them before and will look them up. Where do you put them? Many of my cases have little room in the accessory compartment or under the headstock.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Wow...scary. I'd never do that as placing the humidification device inside the guitar is courting a small disaster and does nothing better than my setup does to disperse humidity throughout the case. The 2 sponge based ones in my case are at the headstock and at the neck/body join (just enough room for it to fit there).
Nah, there is no disaster being courted and it does exactly what it's intended to do. It's done exactly as Bryan Kimsey describes and recommends here.

http://www.bryankimsey.com/humdifier/

If it's good enough for Bryan Kimsey it's good enough for me.

Have you never seen the video of Bob Taylor using Dampits to restore a dry guitar?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tB8tELj43RE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion