The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
Coincidentally, when I added the 15SM I thought I would choose one of these as a keeper and sell the other. But, they are actually different enough in feel and sound to justify keeping them both, at least for a while - hence my sig below... I also use Monel .12s on the 15M.
I thought about that, having had an 000-15M and now having an 000-15SM. But if I kept both my wife would realize I'd gotten a new one...

-Ray
Old 12-06-2019, 10:21 AM

For owners of vintage '30's and '40's mahogany/spruce Gibsons, monels are a terrific choice. In fact, the guitars would have been strung with them in Kalamazoo, and presumably voiced to maximize the monel tone.

An interesting aside about monel. It is a puritan alloy produced during a huge meteor impact near Sudbury, Canada nearly 2 billion years ago. The meteor drove almost 10 miles deep into the planet, causing an upwelling of magma that slowly cooled. All around the rim of the crater, you find deposits of monel.

That is what Retros are made from. Two billion year old rock. Think about that the next time you strum.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 12-06-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
For owners of vintage '30's and '40's mahogany/spruce Gibsons, monels are a terrific choice. In fact, the guitars would have been strung with them in Kalamazoo, and presumably voiced to maximize the monel tone.

An interesting aside about monel. It is a puritan alloy produced during a huge meteor impact near Sudbury, Canada nearly 2 billion years ago. The meteor drove almost 10 miles deep into the planet, causing an upwelling of magma that slowly cooled. All around the rim of the crater, you find deposits of monel.

That is what Retros are made from. Two billion year old rock. Think about that the next time you strum.
Post of the month!
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 12-06-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
I found that mine was a bit, um, reticent/stiff at first, but a few months later, once it opened up, it sounds absolutely divine.
These all-mahogany Martins need some time to open up with regular playing and ageing, not a few months but a few years.

If you will still have this guitar in, say, five years and put the Monels, you will be surprised how good it will sound comparing to now!
Old 12-06-2019, 11:03 AM

The Martin Monel "Tony Rice" strings are a mystery to me. I've tried them on several guitars, ranging from my 000-15sm to a spruce-topped dreadnaught and an Epiphone archtop, and on neither of those did they impress me.

The reason I'm puzzled is because if these strings are indeed what Tony Rice plays or played, why does he sound as great as he does? Based on my experiences with these strings, I wouldn't collect his records as I do.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 12-06-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
These all-mahogany Martins need some time to open up with regular playing and ageing, not a few months but a few years.

If you will still have this guitar in, say, five years and put the Monels, you will be surprised how good it will sound comparing to now!
That's actually very good to know, because the guitar was purchased new in May and already sounds wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
The reason I'm puzzled is because if these strings are indeed what Tony Rice plays or played, why does he sound as great as he does? Based on my experiences with these strings, I wouldn't collect his records as I do.
Tone is in the fingertips!
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 12-06-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Completely agree - the potential of that new all mahogany Martin is barely being explored - however, some new guitars never really open up over time due to less than ideal woods - right off the bat a new guitar should have soft overtone production - anything biting or astringent probably won’t soften up over time.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Interesting. My Custom-D opened up dramatically at six months, but the 000-15m hasn't changed much at all after its first couple years. (Still sounds wonderful, however, especially after I switched to Retros.)
Old 12-06-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Interesting. My Custom-D opened up dramatically at six months, but the 000-15m hasn't changed much at all after its first couple years. (Still sounds wonderful, however, especially after I switched to Retros.)
I own 000-15M made in 2010 and only for the last couple of years it started to sound just fantastic, very responsive + more complex tone. Strung either with Martin Retro Monels or any brand of 80/20 strings.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post

This is why dinosaurs quake with terror when I play my 0015 strung with Retros: they can smell the meteor!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-06-2019, 06:25 PM

My experience with monels has me agreeing with the convention that they are for mahogany-backed guitars. My Country Western nails the sound of Keith's Hummingbird now that it has monels on it, and as others have said they are almost too easy to play.

At the same time, I also imagine these strings would sound awful on a rosewood-backed guitar. They so strongly favor the midrange (and not much else) that I would think a D-28 would sound thin and crappy with monels on it.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill82 View Post
My experience with monels has me agreeing with the convention that they are for mahogany-backed guitars. My Country Western nails the sound of Keith's Hummingbird now that it has monels on it, and as others have said they are almost too easy to play.

At the same time, I also imagine these strings would sound awful on a rosewood-backed guitar. They so strongly favor the midrange (and not much else) that I would think a D-28 would sound thin and crappy with monels on it.
"Tony Rice is an iconic Bluegrass player who during the 1960's loyally strummed his 1935 Clarence White D-28 armed with Martin Monel strings. His favorite aspect of the strings were how they did not change the timber of the guitar. In the 1970's, the Martin Monel strings were no longer available but Tony still sought out the sound of the Martin Monels."

I guess it's just a matter of taste...
Old 12-06-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:

I can sort of agree. I only have a rosewood laminate but those strings sounded weird and not in a good way on it so I took them off.

(So I then put on some of those GHS Aluminum Bronze ... and they sounded positively the worst of any strings I've put on a guitar in quite a few years. No kidding. Back to some PBs I guess.)
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-06-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:

On a first new 000-15m, I found Martin monels had an ear bleed sizzle, on a second new 000-15m, a good match (clear) and long lasting. On the OM-21 - monels are rich and crystal clear to my ear - depends on the guitar and your preference.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Great strings the Retros.

I have gone back to PB on my 00 Martins and to Nickel Bronze on my 00 Gibsons.
Preference for now

madhat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion